Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Who's the baseball ambasaddor after Jeter?

Interesting article from Time Magazine regarding nobody remotely close in being baseball's ambadassor after Jeter retires.

Excerpt: According to Q Scores Company, among active athletes recognized by more than half the U.S. population, Jeter owns the second-highest “Q score” – a general favorability rating – trailing only Peyton Manning. The bad news: no other baseball player ranks in the top 15. “Baseball players aren’t even on the national radar for the general population,”

Which baseball player today do you think can remotely be the face of the sport in the next decade? I have one in mind, but I'll share that a bit later.

Comments

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clayton Kershaw,Mike Trout, come to mind.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

<< <i>“Baseball players aren’t even on the national radar for the general population,” >>

I may be their "General population". If I wasnt a member of this board, I probably wouldnt even know of Jeterimage
    My baseball watching days ended when I was a kid. I still connect kinda with the players of my youth (as far as cards)
    but it would take several big boys with high-powered rifles to make me watch a complete game.

I sure hope Im the minority, because I have fond memories of the game as a youngin, but I just cant even force myself
    to watch it todayimage
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Who's the baseball ambasaddor after Jeter?

Who is even close to being HOF worthy after Jeter?

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    right now Kershaw or Trout are on pace but it's still too early to tell
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote for Chris Davis.
    Daniel
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    image Bryce Harper image
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭
    Trout or Kershaw

Since someone threw a Ty Cobb quote out there... One of my favorite stories on him.. He was being interviewed and asked how he would fare against today's pitchers. Ty paused and said "probably .270 or .280. The interviewer was shocked and said " you hit over .300 lifetime. Why so low? Ty replied " well heck I am 70 now you know!!
  • Options
    It would have been pujols if he had stayed with St. Louis. I would say Trout if he were a Red Sox or Yankee. I see nobody as of right now.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the Mets were relevant and David Wright were the same player he was from 2005-2008, he would be the shoe in.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ryan Braun? If he's good enough to get nominated for the Roberto Clemente award, he's good enough to be baseball's ambassador...I guess.
  • Options

<< <i>......nobody remotely close in being baseball's ambadassor after Jeter retires. >>

see whatcha did there.

does baseball really need a face? how about a heart or a soul?

or maybe just a kid with a romantic name like Giancarlo. just rolls right off your tongue.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Who's the baseball ambasaddor after Jeter?

Who is even close to being HOF worthy after Jeter? >>

Pujols not a HOF'er? Seriously? He only had the greatest 10 year start to a career in the history of baseball.

Shane

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ryan Braun? If he's good enough to get nominated for the Roberto Clemente award, he's good enough to be baseball's ambassador...I guess. >>

this is a joke, right?

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Trout if he keeps it going, and Miggy is a sure-fire HOFer.

The journey of 1000 miles begins with one step.

Collecting Nolan Ryan Gem 10
    George Springer everything
    Carlos Correa everything
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Pujols not a HOF'er? Seriously? He only had the greatest 10 year start to a career in the history of baseball. >>

First ballot 95% of the vote
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Pujols not a HOF'er? Seriously? He only had the greatest 10 year start to a career in the history of baseball. >>

Pujols is who first came to mind when I saw the OP.
  • Options

<< <i>Pujols not a HOF'er? Seriously? He only had the greatest 10 year start to a career in the history of baseball. >>

Cleanley?

I like Trout or Wright.
  • Options
    stevebaystevebay Posts: 289 ✭✭✭
    There was a local article back in 2012 in SF about Buster Posey being Jeter of the West Coast. In 2012, Posey already won 2 champtionships, 1 MVP, 1 ROY, and that was comparable to Jeter at the start of his career.

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Was it the ASG a couple of years ago where the media was rolling out a love-fest for Pujols? Pujols and Miggy might be the now guys. Kershaw, Trout, and Posey are all fine candidates to carry the torch past that.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Ryan Braun? If he's good enough to get nominated for the Roberto Clemente award, he's good enough to be baseball's ambassador...I guess. >>

this is a joke, right?

IMF >>

More of a protest for a guy like that getting nominated by the team for that award.
  • Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 468 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Pujols not a HOF'er? Seriously? He only had the greatest 10 year start to a career in the history of baseball. >>

Cleanley? >>

Did Pujols fail a drug test I am unaware of?

To answer the question, if Cabrera played for the Yankees, we wouldn't even be having this discussion because the answer would be so obvious. Same with Trout.

• Options
    Based on talent and youth, Trout seems like a no-brainer.

Just curious, who was before Jeter?
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Based on talent and youth, Trout seems like a no-brainer.

Just curious, who was before Jeter? >>

Ripken?
  • Options
    jlvette50jlvette50 Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    My vote is for Longoria. (Despite the off year this year)

Longoria Collector. Love the Longo!https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/player-sets/evan-longoria-master-set/alltimeset/90851 600+ PSA Graded 4,700+ unique Longoria cards scanned on TCDB 800+ different Longo autograph cards Jeff

• Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Clayton Kershaw,Mike Trout, come to mind. >>

I agree with Blue Jay Way.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Just curious, who was before Jeter? >>

Ripken? >>

Not in my book, I PERSONALLY believe Ripken was as dirty as anyone with the PEDS.

Im not saying I disliked Ripken but I dont believe he was clean, I couldnt care less either way because I want these guys all juiced up to make the games more enjoyable, but thats just me and Im sure Im on an island with that image
  • Options
    My homer vote would go to Andrew McCutchen. Great player, great person. However, I doubt he ever rises to that level unless he signs with the Yankees or one of the other big market teams.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seriously?

Try Pujols, Miguel Cabrera and Clayton Kershaw - all of whom are/were vastly superior players compared to Jeter.
  • Options
    As an ambassador, I'd say probably Trout. He's young, he's good-looking, he's exciting, he's already got the national ad campaigns and so on.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the reasons I selected Clayton Kershaw was I believe he has a charitable foundation where he tithes a % of his salary. Something along this line. I recall it was stated some time ago in the media,but the specifics of it I am not sure of. Off the field involvements like this add credibility to your image which could lead to "ambassador" type status. Dave Winfield years ago had a foundation of a sort when he was a Yankee.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Buster easily, he already has a championship resume and is one of the best hitters in the game.
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Surprised no mention of McCutchen????
  • Options

<< <i>Surprised no mention of McCutchen???? >>

Scroll up - he was mentioned eight hours before your post image
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    We will see. In my humble opinion if it were going to be Miggy or Pujols it would have happened by now. These guys are pretty deep into their career and are not likely to be putting up better numbers in the future than what they already have in the past. I also think the next ambassador is likely to be American born. Not saying that it is not possible for a foreign player to be popular, but to be on a Jeter-level we are talking about being famous/popular beyond baseball circles. I don't know if the next Jeter is even playing yet as he could be a once in a generation type star/ambassador. If I was forced to pick one guy, it would probably be Trout, as he is off to a historic start to his career. Given his young age, he has more time to build his star power. The Angels are finally going to get in the playoffs this year, so if he has a big postseason it would be a good start. The postseason is where Jeter built much of his status.
    Steve
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    IMO, there is not a household name out there. If I asked my wife to name a current Major Leaguer, I'm almost positive that Pujols would be her first and probably only guess. Other than Pujols, I don't see any current players that are remotely close to being a household name.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭
    They can call him an ambassador if they want but the real question is whether or not baseball needs a player that transcends the sport. Jeter didn't transcend baseball, he was a great player on the most popular team. So the answer is no, baseball doesn't need a player that will lift the overall popularity of the sport. Hockey needed Gretzky and now needs another one and basketball needed bird and magic. The rise of the nfl was more of a collective effort of many players and a bunch of rule changes that favored offense starting about 35 years ago.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Just curious, who was before Jeter?[/

Easy....Rod Carew