Home Sports Talk
Options

Derek Jeter Isn't The Greatest Player Ever

telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
I don't care for Keith Olbermann on a personal or political level, but he hits it on the head here...with the stats to prove it.

Take a look; it's worth watching the whole thing

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

Comments

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    I saw this yesterday. Loved it.

WAR per game (for some assorted SS and 2B):
    Nomar: .031
    Whitaker .031
    Trammell .031
    Randolph .030
    Jeter .027

Are any of those other guys called the best SS or 2B ever?

5 rings? Teams win championships. He'd have 0 if he had below average teammates. He had GREAT ones.

• Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw this yesterday. Loved it.

Whitaker .031
    Trammell .031
    Randolph .030
    Jeter .027

5 rings? Teams win championships. He'd have 0 if he had below average teammates. He had GREAT ones. >>

You have two prospects; one will have the same exact career as Nomar Garciaparra, the other will have the same exact career as Derek Jeter. Ignore WS rings, who would you take?

I would take Jeter 10 times out of 10.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The interesting thing about Jeter is that he was never the best player at his position during any point of his career. However, cumulatively his stats place him near the top of all time.

Of the 19 players in MLB that has as many at bats as Jeter, he only leads in one category. Want to guess what it is?

FYI watching him play the past two years has been painful

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I saw this yesterday. Loved it.

Whitaker .031
    Trammell .031
    Randolph .030
    Jeter .027

5 rings? Teams win championships. He'd have 0 if he had below average teammates. He had GREAT ones. >>

You have two prospects; one will have the same exact career as Nomar Garciaparra, the other will have the same exact career as Derek Jeter. Ignore WS rings, who would you take?

I would take Jeter 10 times out of 10. >>

The reason I posted it was to give you some idea of how well they played, when they played. If you could have one of those players on your team for one season, who would you take?

I'd take them all before Jeter, and so would you.
  • Options

<< <i>The reason I posted it was to give you some idea of how well they played, when they played. If you could have one of those players on your team for one season, who would you take?

I'd take them all before Jeter, and so would you. >>

I would probably take a young Nomar over any of them.

Jeter was never the best shortstop in the league nor was he ever really the best player on his own team, but he was able to amass one of the best careers any of us have ever seen.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The reason I posted it was to give you some idea of how well they played, when they played. If you could have one of those players on your team for one season, who would you take?

I'd take them all before Jeter, and so would you. >>

I would probably take a young Nomar over any of them.

Jeter was never the best shortstop in the league nor was he ever really the best player on his own team, but he was able to amass one of the best careers any of us have ever seen. >>

I agree. I am no Yankee fan but bottom line is the dude had a heck of a GREAT career. People and their stats can say what they will. The eye test is really simple. He was the starting shortstop for one team for about 20 years, played solid defense and had 3,500 hits. As a Dodger fan I would gladly have Jeter for the last 20 rather than the multitude of average shortstops we have had. Jose Offerman comes to mind first. Oy vey!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a sports world where headlines are made for all the wrong reasons, it's interesting how much vitriol and criticism is being aimed at Jeter, not the best SS by any measure, but a player who put together a remarkable and terrific career for baseball"s most storied franchise. Interesting, too, how KO is being trumpeted by those whose political views he openly disdains and takes to task on many of these programs. He definitely presents an eloquent argument more often than not.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont recall anyone ever saying Jeter was the greatest player ever to begin with, he was on some great Yankee teams and was always a class act on the field though.

• Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I dont recall anyone ever saying Jeter was the greatest player ever to begin with, he was on some great Yankee teams and was always a class act on the field though. >>

I was thinking the same thing Perk Dog. Who ever said that he is the greatest player ever? I am expecting you and your friends to show Derek Jeter some well-deserved respect this weekend. I am certain that you will. image
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Exceptional player who spent his career on the spotlight team.

Olbermann has no place in broadcast journalism in my view.
  • Options

<< <i>I dont recall anyone ever saying Jeter was the greatest player ever to begin with, he was on some great Yankee teams and was always a class act on the field though. >>

You apparently aren't on Twitter. Many casual fans think he's the greatest player ever.

• Options

<< <i>

You apparently aren't on Twitter. Many casual fans think he's the greatest player ever. >>

Im talking about people who have a clue, not trendy homer types who cant name 3 other ballplayers in the Majors.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

You apparently aren't on Twitter. Many casual fans think he's the greatest player ever. >>

Im talking about people who have a clue, not trendy homer types who cant name 3 other ballplayers in the Majors. >>

Olbermann's video was for them (and also for Jorge Posada, who thinks Jeter is better than Babe Ruth).
  • Options
    For me anyways

Great career. Great post seasons. Clutch hitter. Never in the news for the wrong reasons which in NY is hard to do. He was the face of baseball in a good way.

Never the best player on his own team so he can't be the best player in the game although in NY some may tell you differently with a straight face. So over rated as a position player. He wasn't even the best shortstop on his team during the A Rod years. Solid yes, the gold gloves? Beauty contest winner.

My biggest pet peeve is the whole Captain thing and it's not even his fault. Who's our Captain? D-E-R-E-K J-E-T-E-R ( nauseating and I lived in NYC during most of his career) ……………Like being a Captain of a baseball team is a big deal. Apparently is NY it's a sacred thing and elevates him above others. Do other teams even have a Captain?

MJ

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>Like being a Captain of a baseball team is a big deal. Apparently is NY it's a sacred thing and elevates him above others. >>

There is nothing apparent about it. After Lou Gehrig passed away, it was said that there would never again be another New York Yankees team captain. George Steinbrenner disagreed. Thurman Munson therefore followed Lou Gehrig as team captain, and the tradition has continued ever since. George Steinbrenner believed that Lou Gehrig would have approved of Thurman Munson. Consider all of the great New York Yankees players who were overlooked in the meantime.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Like being a Captain of a baseball team is a big deal. Apparently is NY it's a sacred thing and elevates him above others. >>

There is nothing apparent about it. After Lou Gehrig passed away, it was said that there would never again be another New York Yankees team captain. George Steinbrenner disagreed. Thurman Munson therefore followed Lou Gehrig as team captain, and the tradition has continued ever since. George Steinbrenner believed that Lou Gehrig would have approved of Thurman Munson. Consider all of the great New York Yankees players who were overlooked in the meantime. >>

I get it. It's a NY Yankees thing. Most of the rest of the baseball world rolls it's eyes……………………..Me, like Jeter born in Michigan and lived in NYC for 20 years. I used to get mistaken for Jeter as we actually look alike. Regardless I think he was great for baseball.

MJ
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I used to get mistaken for Jeter as we actually look alike.

MJ >>

You don't seriously think you can post this without providing us with a pic of yourself, do you image >>

It's weird. My Dad has been calling me Jeter for the past 20 years. About ten years ago my peeps at work took a picture of me and him and interchanged them and there was little difference. (eyes to mouth identical).

MJ
  • Options

<< <i>reat career. Great post seasons. Clutch hitter. Never in the news for the wrong reasons which in NY is hard to do. He was the face of baseball in a good way. >>

Clutch hitter? That's a big myth. Did you know that for his career, Jeter has hit *worse* than normal in high leverage situations? ARod (who some call the biggest choker ever) has hit *better* than normal in those situations. I'm not saying Arod is clutch, but Jeter isn't either. If you check all of the clutch hitting stats, you will see. Jeter even hit slightly worse than normal with RISP. People remember the times he got a big hit, but not all the times he didn't.
  • Options

<< <i>Clutch hitter? That's a big myth. Did you know that for his career, Jeter has hit *worse* than normal in high leverage situations? ARod (who some call the biggest choker ever) has hit *better* than normal in those situations. I'm not saying Arod is clutch, but Jeter isn't either. If you check all of the clutch hitting stats, you will see. Jeter even hit slightly worse than normal with RISP. People remember the times he got a big hit, but not all the times he didn't. >>

I respectfully disagree with this.

The ten players with the most career postseason at bats are below in order:

1 Derek Jeter 650
    2 Bernie Williams 465
    3 Jorge Posada 416
    4 Manny Ramirez 410
    5 David Justice 398
    6 Kenny Lofton 392
    7 Tino Martinez 356
    8 Chipper Jones 338
    9 Paul O'Neill 299
    10 David Ortiz 295

Of the ten players, EIGHT of them experienced a drop in OPS during the playoffs. Manny dropped from .996 to .937 (a 6% decrease); Tino Martinez dropped from .815 to .672 (a freaking 18% decrease!) and David Justice also dropped 18%! The average OPS dropped 7% among this group (which I would assume is close to league average).

Very few players (in this case 2/10) perform better during the playoffs than they do during the regular season. There's added pressure and stronger pitching - it's obviously harder.

One of the players who miraculously performs better in such situations is David Ortiz - I think we can all agree he is "clutch." David Ortiz saw his OPS rise by 1.4% during the playoffs - which is impressive considering he had 295 at bats and 357 plate appearances in the playoffs alone.

Derek Jeter saw a 2.6% increase.

Jeter's increase was 83% higher than David Ortiz's, a unanimous "clutch" player.

My eBay Store =)

• Options
    That is some impressive research JHS5120. Thanks for posting it. Not clutch? Sorry MLB Fan 2, but I disagree. When a guy who is not a home run hitter does this at a time when New York City needed it the most, I don't know what else to call it.

Mr. November
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My biggest pet peeve is the whole Captain thing and it's not even his fault. Who's our Captain? D-E-R-E-K J-E-T-E-R ( nauseating and I lived in NYC during most of his career) ……………Like being a Captain of a baseball team is a big deal. Apparently is NY it's a sacred thing and elevates him above others. Do other teams even have a Captain?
    >>

Jason Varitek wore a "C" on his jersey as captain for the Red Sox.
  • Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    JHS5120 is the same guy who thinks Ichiro is the best hitter in the league and better than Ty Cobb...so I hesitate to debate him on his mythical clutch analysis....so I will just inform him that he is wrong. He can look up the multitude of threads where I have shown the myth of the post season baseball player.

But, back to the crux of the problem of the myth of the post season player. If Jeter had an ability to rise to the occasion when his team needed him most, then why save it for the post season? Why not do that more in the regular season, and get to the post season more often? Is he psychic? Maybe stupid? Must be one or the other, to choose not to rise to the occasion more often. Or maybe lazy.

His lifetime ALDS OPS is: .916
    His lifetime ALCS OPS is: .751
    His lifetime WS OPS is.:...832.

Hmm, did he view the ALDS more important than the ALCS, thus such a higher difference in OPS? Did he forget how to be clutch in the ALCS? Then, did he realize he needed to be more clutch in the WS, but still not as clutch as he was in the ALDS? Was he psychic when he got the ALCS and knew he would win anyway, so he didn't try as hard?

How about seeing how did when it mattered even MORE?

Here is what he did in the ALCS and WS when he batted with men on base and Runners in Scoring Position. That would be a huge step up in the clutch factor!

ALCS NOBODY ON BASE OPS: .793
    ALCS WITH MEN ON BASE OPS: .693. He wilted when they needed the hits most.
    ALCS WITH RUNNERS SCOR POS. .698 OPS.

HMMM, if an .817 lifetime OPS batter is going .693 and .698 in those key On Base spots in the ALCS, then where is he rising to the occasion? That certainly looks like a pretty good occasion to put on a cape!

Maybe he saved it for the World Series when runners were on base? I'm going to put this in bold, because aside from the other threads where I showed the myth of the post season player, this should pretty much show anybody with a sane and rational brain that he did not rise to the occasion. He isn't anymore clutch than anyone else in MLB. He doesn't have the ability to elevate his play, compared to other MLB stars, in the post season. His slight uptick in his career OPS, compared to his regular season OPS is insignificant and a random stat blip, because if he truly had that ability to rise to the occasion, then he would have used it when hitting with men on base in the ALCS and WS.

WS NOBODY ON BASE OPS: 962
    WS WITH MEN ON BASE OPS: .547
    WS WITH RUNNERS SCOR POS: .488 OPS. Yikes.

Yes, look at those numbers again. Wouldn't a lifetime .817 OPS hitter who went .547 and .488 in those 'keyest' of key spots int he WS be considered someone who wilted under pressure? Sure as heck seem so if people are going to use his slight uptick in post season career OPS as evidence of being clutch.

Instead of rising to the occasion when they needed him, he did the same thing that Arod was accused of doing...he failed when they needed him most. Lucky for him, they had a great team to pick up the slack and still win.

If I were evaluating Jeter and judging him, I would not need to use that dumb post season clutch argument, because it would hurt my case in the eyes of people that know better, and take away from the stuff that should be highlighting how great of a player he was.

• Options
    In response to my buddy Skin posting his response to this this thread........

• Options

<< <i>I respectfully disagree with this.

1 Derek Jeter 650
    2 Bernie Williams 465
    3 Jorge Posada 416
    4 Manny Ramirez 410
    5 David Justice 398
    6 Kenny Lofton 392
    7 Tino Martinez 356
    8 Chipper Jones 338
    9 Paul O'Neill 299
    10 David Ortiz 295 >>

Let me stop you right there. When it comes to clutch hitting, you have to compare him to everyone, not just 9 "random" players! All of the clutch stats as a whole say he's not clutch.

"Clutch" is kind of a silly concept anyway, since a clutch player performs *below* his real ability in non-clutch situations. A clutch player wouldn't necessarily help his team more than a non-clutch player. Runs in the 1st inning count just as much as runs in the 9th.
  • Options

<< <i>JHS5120 is the same guy who thinks Ichiro is the best hitter in the league and better than Ty Cobb...so I hesitate to debate him on his mythical clutch analysis....so I will just inform him that he is wrong. He can look up the multitude of threads where I have shown the myth of the post season baseball player.

But, back to the crux of the problem of the myth of the post season player. If Jeter had an ability to rise to the occasion when his team needed him most, then why save it for the post season? Why not do that more in the regular season, and get to the post season more often? Is he psychic? Maybe stupid? Must be one or the other, to choose not to rise to the occasion more often. Or maybe lazy.

His lifetime ALDS OPS is: .916
    His lifetime ALCS OPS is: .751
    His lifetime WS OPS is.:...832.

Hmm, did he view the ALDS more important than the ALCS, thus such a higher difference in OPS? Did he forget how to be clutch in the ALCS? Then, did he realize he needed to be more clutch in the WS, but still not as clutch as he was in the ALDS? Was he psychic when he got the ALCS and knew he would win anyway, so he didn't try as hard?

How about seeing how did when it mattered even MORE?

Here is what he did in the ALCS and WS when he batted with men on base and Runners in Scoring Position. That would be a huge step up in the clutch factor!

ALCS NOBODY ON BASE OPS: .793
    ALCS WITH MEN ON BASE OPS: .693. He wilted when they needed the hits most.
    ALCS WITH RUNNERS SCOR POS. .698 OPS.

HMMM, if an .817 lifetime OPS batter is going .693 and .698 in those key On Base spots in the ALCS, then where is he rising to the occasion? That certainly looks like a pretty good occasion to put on a cape!

Maybe he saved it for the World Series when runners were on base? I'm going to put this in bold, because aside from the other threads where I showed the myth of the post season player, this should pretty much show anybody with a sane and rational brain that he did not rise to the occasion. He isn't anymore clutch than anyone else in MLB. He doesn't have the ability to elevate his play, compared to other MLB stars, in the post season. His slight uptick in his career OPS, compared to his regular season OPS is insignificant and a random stat blip, because if he truly had that ability to rise to the occasion, then he would have used it when hitting with men on base in the ALCS and WS.

WS NOBODY ON BASE OPS: 962
    WS WITH MEN ON BASE OPS: .547
    WS WITH RUNNERS SCOR POS: .488 OPS. Yikes.

Yes, look at those numbers again. Wouldn't a lifetime .817 OPS hitter who went .547 and .488 in those 'keyest' of key spots int he WS be considered someone who wilted under pressure? Sure as heck seem so if people are going to use his slight uptick in post season career OPS as evidence of being clutch.

Instead of rising to the occasion when they needed him, he did the same thing that Arod was accused of doing...he failed when they needed him most. Lucky for him, they had a great team to pick up the slack and still win.

If I were evaluating Jeter and judging him, I would not need to use that dumb post season clutch argument, because it would hurt my case in the eyes of people that know better, and take away from the stuff that should be highlighting how great of a player he was.
    >>

• Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else look like Derek Jeter?
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options

<< <i>Let me stop you right there. When it comes to clutch hitting, you have to compare him to everyone, not just 9 "random" players! All of the clutch stats as a whole say he's not clutch. >>

There is nothing random about the selection of players. Sorry, I should have explained - I thought it was obvious. You need a sample size large enough to paint a full picture. I chose only players with a sufficient number of playoff at bats. This is one of the many arguments against using RISP as a stat (other for it being useless) there aren't enough at bats to warrant a proper sample.

<< <i>"Clutch" is kind of a silly concept anyway, since a clutch player performs *below* his real ability in non-clutch situations. A clutch player wouldn't necessarily help his team more than a non-clutch player. Runs in the 1st inning count just as much as runs in the 9th. >>

I 100% agree. That's why you should look at an entire playoff performance rather than a select few at bats. Derek Jeter was the second hitter or leadoff hitter through most of his playoff career, his job was to get on base which he did very successfully.
    My eBay Store =)

• Options

<< <i>JHS5120 is the same guy who thinks Ichiro is the best hitter in the league and better than Ty Cobb...so I hesitate to debate him on his mythical clutch analysis....so I will just inform him that he is wrong. >>

Ichiro is definitely not better than Ty Cobb, but he is pretty darn close. Perk Dog, your Red Sox Nation membership is affecting your judgment. Enjoy the weekend series. See you next season. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>JHS5120 is the same guy who thinks Ichiro is the best hitter in the league and better than Ty Cobb...so I hesitate to debate him on his mythical clutch analysis....so I will just inform him that he is wrong. >>

Perk Dog, your Red Sox Nation membership is affecting your judgment. Enjoy the weekend series. See you next season. image >>

Im a full time member so you must be right image

And looking forward to next year my friend image
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>

Ichiro is definitely not better than Ty Cobb, but he is pretty darn close. Perk Dog, your Red Sox Nation membership is affecting your judgment. Enjoy the weekend series. See you next season. image >>

If by your definition of close you mean about 750 hitters separating Cobb and Ichiro, then I agree, it is close.

750 is being generous.

You can do a search on all the info in the other threads where that was all laid out cleanly, including taking into account the entire 'missing years' for Ichiro angle.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

He may not be the greatest player ever but he has 9 things going for him

haters gonna hate

• Options
    As pointed out with Jeter, almost every player that is considered a clutch post season player, is actually quite easy to show that he isn't. 99% of their 'clutchness' is basically from the typical randomness that occurs with a baseball hitter. People would be VERY hard pressed to find a player that showed performances in all the clutch situations to make a case that he has 'clutch' ability.

Nobody in their right mind should be walking around saying Jeter is a clutch post season player who rises to the occasion when the team needs him...after they just learned that he was a putrid hitter with men on base/Runners in Scoring position in both the ALCS and World Series.

David Ortiz lifetime OPS .926.

Ortiz ALCS MEN ON BASE .999
    Ortiz ALCS W/ RISP........1.017

Oritz WS MEN ON BASE 1.777
    Ortiz WS W/ RISP......1.448

With his walk-off HR those are as amazing post season heroics as anyone has every produced. Impressive for certain.

Though it is still a small amount of at bats.

Ortiz's lifetime regular season OPS in Late/Close situations is only .874. Compared to his lifetime overall OPS of .926. So given more heroic opportunities, he ends up regressing to what his 8,800 lifetime plate appearances tells us.

His regular season Men on Hitting .954 OPS
    His regular season RISP hitting is . 943
    His regular season Nobody on base hitting is .897

So he is good in that area in the regular season as well. which includes 4,400+ plate appearances with men on base.

If somebody were to walk around saying Ortiz is the clutch post season player...then I'm not going to get all worked up over it, because if there is such a thing, he probably is it. I've matured enough to allow for the possibility, and know it may be impossible to really know for sure. Ortiz has some impressive results to his resume.

But if people are going to start walking around saying that about Jeter...one just can't ignore his putrid hitting with Men on and RISP in both the ALCS and WS. He wilted to the occasion...not rose.

PS. Ortiz continues to roll...his career is getting more impressive as each year passes.
  • Options
    PS. Jeter's job as a hitter is to create runs. Fact is, a hit with a man on 3B creates more runs than a hit with nobody on. If he is clutch, then he would hit when the need it most...when men are on base. Getting a hit with men on base produces more runs and still gets him on base to create run opportunities for the batters behind.

To illustrate, two players:

First player:
    Bats with a man on 3B, makes an out, leaving runner stranded.
    His second at bat he gets a single, creating a run opportunity for the batters behind him.

Second player:
    Bats with a man on 3B, gets a single, run scores AND he is ALSO on 1B still creating a run opportunity for the players behind him.
    His second at bat he makes an out with nobody on base.

Both players are 1-2.

Both players created the same run opportunities when they reach first base one time.

The difference is that the second player ALSO created the run when he got the hit with a man on 3B.

Had Jeter done better with men on base in the ALCS and WS, then the Yankees would have scored more runs, giving them more chances to win more games.

So that is wrong about Jeter and his 'job' of just getting on base.

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I respectfully disagree with this.

1 Derek Jeter 650
    2 Bernie Williams 465
    3 Jorge Posada 416
    4 Manny Ramirez 410
    5 David Justice 398
    6 Kenny Lofton 392
    7 Tino Martinez 356
    8 Chipper Jones 338
    9 Paul O'Neill 299
    10 David Ortiz 295 >>

Let me stop you right there. When it comes to clutch hitting, you have to compare him to everyone, not just 9 "random" players! All of the clutch stats as a whole say he's not clutch.

"Clutch" is kind of a silly concept anyway, since a clutch player performs *below* his real ability in non-clutch situations. A clutch player wouldn't necessarily help his team more than a non-clutch player. Runs in the 1st inning count just as much as runs in the 9th. >>

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Clutch hitter? That's a big myth. Did you know that for his career, Jeter has hit *worse* than normal in high leverage situations? ARod (who some call the biggest choker ever) has hit *better* than normal in those situations. I'm not saying Arod is clutch, but Jeter isn't either. If you check all of the clutch hitting stats, you will see. Jeter even hit slightly worse than normal with RISP. People remember the times he got a big hit, but not all the times he didn't. >>

I respectfully disagree with this.

1 Derek Jeter 650
    2 Bernie Williams 465
    3 Jorge Posada 416
    4 Manny Ramirez 410
    5 David Justice 398
    6 Kenny Lofton 392
    7 Tino Martinez 356
    8 Chipper Jones 338
    9 Paul O'Neill 299
    10 David Ortiz 295

Of the ten players, EIGHT of them experienced a drop in OPS during the playoffs. Manny dropped from .996 to .937 (a 6% decrease); Tino Martinez dropped from .815 to .672 (a freaking 18% decrease!) and David Justice also dropped 18%! The average OPS dropped 7% among this group (which I would assume is close to league average).

Very few players (in this case 2/10) perform better during the playoffs than they do during the regular season. There's added pressure and stronger pitching - it's obviously harder.

One of the players who miraculously performs better in such situations is David Ortiz - I think we can all agree he is "clutch." David Ortiz saw his OPS rise by 1.4% during the playoffs - which is impressive considering he had 295 at bats and 357 plate appearances in the playoffs alone.

Derek Jeter saw a 2.6% increase.

Jeter's increase was 83% higher than David Ortiz's, a unanimous "clutch" player. >>

You are confusing descriptive statistics with prescriptive statistics.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You Jeter bashers make me laugh!

He holds the record for holding records on the team that is the overall best team in MLB history! He played 20 years never getting in trouble in a city where that is a record in itself. The guy was great and did it for 20 years.

Nuff said. He was great and will be remembered as great weather you bashers agree or not!

LIVE WITH IT!!!
  • Options

<< <i>You Jeter bashers make me laugh!

He holds the record for holding records on the team that is the overall best team in MLB history! He played 20 years never getting in trouble in a city where that is a record in itself. The guy was great and did it for 20 years.

Nuff said. He was great and will be remembered as great weather you bashers agree or not!

LIVE WITH IT!!! >>

• Options

LIVE WITH IT!!! >>

This is some of the most beautiful prose I have ever read!
  • Options

<< <i>

LIVE WITH IT!!! >>

This is some of the most beautiful prose I have ever read! >>

Its such a fist pumping post, however I dont think anyone is actually bashing Jeter though image
  • Options

<< <i>

LIVE WITH IT!!! >>

This is some of the most beautiful prose I have ever read! >>

Its such a fist pumping post however I dont think anyone here is actually bashing Jeter though image
  • Options
    Fairytale ending at Yankee Stadium. Knocks in the winning run in the bottom of the 9th. Walk off. Good for him.

MJ
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Fairytale ending at Yankee Stadium. Knocks in the winning run in the bottom of the 9th. Walk off. Good for him.

MJ >>

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    What a great game. He will be missed.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Last night on Mad Dog Radio Scott Wetzel was just ripping Jeter. It was silly. I am not a Yankee fan or a Jeter fan but give the guy his props. Wetzel was just negative about everything down to saying the Orioles didn't care and just grooved the pitch for Jeter last night. Maybe and maybe not but just clap your hands for the man and move along. Sounds stupid to bash the guy. Nitpick about his defense if you want but give the guy his props. First ballot HOF.
  • Options
    The Baltimore Orioles were playing for home-field advantage last night. They played to win the game. To suggest anything else is silly.
  • Options
    Nobody is bashing Jeter...only bashing the people that think he is the best all-time, and using faulty arguments to back their case(like the clutch argument).

I just saw a poll on ESPN asking, "Where does Derek Jeter rank among the best baseball players of all time?"

Here are the responses

Top 5 all-time 12%
    Top 10 all-time 19%
    Top 15 all-time 12%
    Top 25 all-time 29%
    Not in top 25 all-time 28%

So it looks like only 28% of respondents actually have a clue.

31% of the voters feel he is a top 10 all-time player. LMAO! So if anyone is wondering why Olberman made that video, there is your answer.