Home Precious Metals
Options

Why vest pocket dealers drink - part I

I really like the "why coin dealers drink" stories in the US coin forum, so I figured I'd start my own in here. Most of my funny/drink worthy/facepalm type stories involve bullion purchase and sales, so I think this forum will be receptive!

Here's a doozy from the other day...

Guy contacts me wanting to buy two NTR 10oz silver bars, asks for my best price. I give it ($475 Cdn funds). He tries to haggle and chisel me down. He says all he has is $460. I don't budge. He contacts me 10 minutes later saying "$468?" and asking if I accept change. I tell him I will take change but the price is still the same. He messages me back 10 minutes later saying okay I have $475 lets meet.

We meet and he has a very heavy bag in his hands. He opens it up and reveals a giant bag of loonies ($1 Canadian coins). I look at him like "wtf?" and he says "you said you take change". I think any reasonable person would have read the text messages as payment being made in at most $15 in change. He says there is $199 in loonies here, and $1 in dimes. We count it out and it's all there. He then produces ANOTHER bag of change. $2 coins this time, $150 worth. And then a small bag of assorted nickels, dimes, quarters. Total $375, plus $100 in banknotes.

I look at the bags, sigh, and pull out the two 10 oz bars. He looks at them and says "where's the dragon?". Turns out he was referring to an ad I had posted two months ago with two semi-collector lunar year 10 oz bars, 2012 Dragon and 2014 Horse. I was asking significantly more for those as they have a big premium and silver was higher back then. I show him our message history and no where did he refer to these bars by name. One of my messages showed me saying: "$475 for two regular 10 oz ntr bars".

He says he doesn't want the regular ones, he wants the special ones. Packs up his change and leaves.

Is it happy hour yet?
http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not vest pocket dealing, but this reminds me of the time in the coin shop when somebody called and asked how much a $1,000 bag of silver was, I told him the price, subject to market changes, of course, and he said OK, he'll be right in.

He came in in a reasonable time with no change in the spot prices, I wrote up the ticket, took his money and handed him two $500 bags of quarters. He said he wanted it all in silver dollars. A discussion ensued.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I could rattle off probably 30 tales right off the top of my nearly bald head...but because it would be coming from me, I'm sure most here would view it as me complaining and the trolling would take over what will most likely be a very entertaining thread.

So out of respect, I will refrain from telling all of my stories (to the best ability that I can) of dealing with those who fall into the categories of:
    ignorant, stupid (there is a difference), swindlers, shysters, deadbeats, those who don't have the common decency to reply when no longer interested, those who feel they are entiltiled for some reason, squirrels trying to get a nut, liars, jerkfaces, and otherwise those who are bitter with their miserable meaningless lives. If I left any out it's because they were actually laughable in what they were trying to do, or get.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread idea....let's have some more stories.....image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    POM, I am sure we all have stories like that (deadbeats, tire kickers, etc), I will try to keep them entertaining or especially "WTF-worthy".

I had one a while back in response to my ad looking to trade gold maples for silver maples. One guy who emailed me saying he'll trade bars for gold maples. I ask him what size his bars are and how many ounces of silver he has to trade so I can calculate it based on the silver to gold ratio. He replies back, and I quote:

"They r 1oz, thou u wana swap 1 for 1"

He actually thought I meant I was going to swap my GOLD maples for SILVER straight across, 1:1.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Had a lady call me last Wednesday evening.
    Sir I need to find out how much these 6 silver dollars are worth?
    I say OK, she say I got to find out NOW! Sir,I found them in the SDB and my husband is being put in nursing home we have to declare a value!!!
    Sir can I come to your house? Sir can you come to my house???
    I say mam just what do these dollars look like? She said I can tell you the dates!
    Yes mam, that is good start.
    She says well there is 2-1972,1974, and 3 Bicentennial dollars!
    I say mam you have $6 worth of pocket change. She say well what about this wadded up $2 bill I say $2 you have $8 worth of money.
    She says well I just burnt your ear up for nothing, I aint even going write that down~LOL!
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I LOVE that face palm pic LMAO!!!
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tell people they can pay me in change all day long, provided it is older change! I like pre-1980 cents, pre-1982 five cents, and well of course pre-1967 10 and 25 cent coins and I find them still in roll searches.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21