Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Initial book review: 'Contemporary Portrait Eight Reales', by Gurney (and Nichols and Lorenzo)

Independent review of the book "Counterfeit Portrait Eight Reales".
I have not read more than the first 50 pages, and some additional pages in later sections. As such this is a tentative review of what I have read and seen.

Positives:
This is a long awaited publication on the history of contemporary counterfeit 8 reales. Taxay published an initial work on many of the counterfeit 8 reales which were in circulation in the early 1840's and earlier. After 170+ years we see renewed interest in this topic although not in the same context that Taxay published his book. Taxay's publication was aimed at warning people who used these coins in day-to-day transactions. Today's GNL (Gurney-Nichols-Lorenzo) is now aimed at the numismatic and collecting communities, and it seems to have one primary agenda - Awareness. Awareness for collectors who want to avoid acquiring counterfeits for their collection, as well as collectors who are specifically looking for these counterfeits for their collections.

What this book adds to numismatic literature is an up-to-date record of the different varieties of contemporary counterfeit 8 reales. This record includes background history on these pieces, a pictorial record, along with a detailed description including metallurgical composition. This last point, counterfeit metallurgical composition, excited me most about this book. Given the different varieties of debased metals and alloys used by counterfeiters, recording these compositions is of the utmost historical importance. It goes beyond generalizing compositions (such as 'German silver') to a more precise record.

A book that is 600 pages is a monumental feat of writing and organization. It is hard to find fault the efforts of the authors, but I feel that provide criticism only improves future work.

Criticism:
Photos and grammar.

I was very disappointed in the quality of the photographs taken by, I presume, one or more of the authors. By photographs I am primarily referring to the Class I counterfeits starting on page 239. In most instances I strain to see details in each photograph either because the images are too dark or so low in overall quality. To add, the images could easily have been cropped to remove the distracting and inconsistent backgrounds. Cropping the background also would have allowed the images to be enlarged to show more detail on the coin. As it stands it is extremely difficult to differentiate between varieties based upon the photographs provided. Overall, I would give this critically important part of the book a D or F grade.

The writing and grammar in this book needs some fairly drastic editing. Understandably 600 pages is A LOT to edit. But when I find one or usually more edits on nearly every page I read the flow becomes distracting. I would give the writing a C grade.

Initial surprises:
I'm surprised to only see Robert Gurney's name on the cover when there are three authors: Gurney, Nichols, Lorenzo
I own, as far as I can tell, several unreported examples

More comments to follow as I read more of this book......

Comments

• Options
    I ordered a copy and am awaiting it's arrival. It's unfortunate that the ANA rejected this book for publication through them. I believe the authors also weighed the idea of releasing a version on CD, which would presumably give better quality of photos as they can be manipulated on a computer.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    A book THIS BIG would be ideally suited in digital format.
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The quality of the printed photos in the black and white edition should be solved by the planned release of photos on CDs.
    See page 2, although the book has only been out for a few days so I have not seen details on how to order the CDs just yet.
    There is also a planned Kindle edition.
    And a hardback color edition.
    When the author polled forum participants on different book formats, almost everyone wanted a printed edition.

Paper quality/type limits photographic detail. Just like in the Early United States Dimes book.
    Glossy paper is expensive.
  • Options
    Here is the latest information about the book:

1. Initially the ANS (not the ANA) rejected the book because of the projected high cost of the book and their feeling sales will not cover projection costs. It was their decision. I spoke to Dave Bowers and Whitman Publishing did not fit a book of this specialization ... whatever ... it was ANS or private publishing.

2. We then decided to print a cheaper version (B&W) just to give everybody a version cheap enough (~$40) to review the information and to determine fake/regal on their piece or pieces. Amazon only allows one author on the cover or one name per book as the principal author. Rules are rules <BG>.

3. Knowing the B&W images would be poor if you were going to illustrate ~600 varieities (Class 1) we needed companion CDs which were created from DAY 1. These are INCLUDED in the harbound/color version - near completion - October 2014 distribution expected.

4. Amazon Books no longer prints hardbound or will print hardbound of this release so we have gone to a new publisher. When completed (print on demand) the books will be sent to Gurney - companion CDs attached and then released. The North Carolina address at this point is the contact point to order Hardbound/Color/2CD version. We expect the cost in the $150-175 range at this time.

5. We expect a Kindle version soon. Request this when ordering a B&W as this link is there to vote.

6. We are trying to get versions of the Hardbound version ready for the Mexican Numismatic Association Conference in Scottsdale Arizona on 10/16-19, 2014.

7. The 2CDs will also have MORE ZOOM-IN/ZOOM-OUT pics than Class 1 types - all Classes can be seen - not sure maybe 1,000+ coins - minimal.

8. A tthis time we are not sure of a Spanish Version. We are also planning a book on the Cap and Ray counterfeits in the distant future. The number of these specimens is more numerous - perhaps a represenative overview is more possible - maybe 2,500 varieties!

John Lorenzo
    Co-Author

Primarily a collector of error coins over the next decade after collecting for 40 years. Have collected & studied every coin series in the Western Hemishere - yes - even ...
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taxay? What book did he author on counterfeits?

Are you referring to Riddell?
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great to see this book finally being published. Swamperbob has been talking about doing this even when I first reached out to him to discuss minting practices at provisional mints almost 10 years ago. Wonder if any of the examples I sold him over the years made it into the book. I'm going to reach out to him directly for the hard copy. Very exciting stuff.