Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can anyone tell Stacks what utter garbage their website is?

It is exasperating. You can't navigate anywhere there, nothing moves, a total failure.

They need to get another website going which FUNCTIONS! Agreed?

Comments

• Options
    CoinCastCoinCast Posts: 508 ✭✭✭
    One of the worst errors for me, is when you click an item on your watch list it will take you to the item, then if you press the back button the item will disappear from the watch list. Anyone else having this isse?

Edit: They have fixed a couple of errors, so it's slowly getting better.

Numismatist @WitterCoin

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    I suppose one has the option of staying off the site rather than taking such an unmeasured slam on a forum.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can anyone tell Stacks what utter garbage their website it? >>

Sure! I'll tell them!

Hey Stacks, superpsychmd thinks your web site is utter garbage! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People have telling them almost year that they have big problems. It never sinks in. The people who do their programming must be a members of the family or something. Otherwise I don't how they keep their jobs.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, anyone can, but mine is even worse image So I won't throw stones from my glass house.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am no longer visiting the site and have unsubscribed from their daily (or more often) emails. Auf Viedersein.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, we have been telling them for a year. They apparently don't care...
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭
    It is simpy unbelievable. They have a lot of coins I could potentially want but can't even see them. It is so silly, such bad business.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. It is not user friendly.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Maybe they think e-commerce is just a fad.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe they think e-commerce is just a fad. >>

The inter web is here to stay IMHO.image
  • Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    yes the iterwebs be good! image
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Maybe they think e-commerce is just a fad. >>

The inter web is here to stay IMHO.image >>

I remember years ago having an argument with my father-in-law. He firmly believed e-commerce was a joke and that it would never last. I finally gave up and figured time would prove me right. Maybe the powers-that-be at Stacks are from a similar generation.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As has been mentioned here before, a good thing to do is to send Stacks' President, Brian Kendrella a thoughtful and informative quick email detailing ones particular internet issues. He is very responsive and has already fixed many of the problems facing those who have informed him of their issues.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, we have been telling them for a year. They apparently don't care... >>

Under those circumstances, I am not sure why anyone would consign to them. There is the potential to adversely affect the price realized.
  • Options
    PS. I am working tonight from another country on my IPAD and having no issues at all with the Stacks auction. There were earlier issues discussed here with IPAD use and Brian fixed them all as far as I know.

Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plugging Teletrade back in and listing coins there (just changing the name at the top of the page to Stacks/Bowers) would be a major improvement at this point... sure that site didn't work perfectly, but it was miles ahead what they have now. Hard to believe the scrapped that for what they have now.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once I saw the slow operation of the site I never go back there.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

The guys at Stacks Bowers read these forums... Every Day !!

If you are unhappy, be specific.... They will try and get someone
    in their IT Dept. to fix it.

Their site isn't the easiest to navigate, I agree.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    +1
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A great way to provide your input directly to Stack's Bowers is through their Stack's Bowers - User Feedback Survey as mentioned in the referenced thread that I previously posted on this forum -- like I did. image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is exasperating. You can't navigate anywhere there, nothing moves, a total failure.

They need to get another website going which FUNCTIONS! Agreed? >>

the website does not function for older browsers, including those on older smasrt phones and tablets unless the newer operating system has been installed on those devices.

if you are running old software, this may be the reason it does not operate.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stopped visiting the Stacks site as I don't need the frustration any more.

I'll wait until I hear on the forum when they have their act together.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can anyone tell Stacks what utter garbage their website is? >>

Yes, anyone can. Go right ahead. They need to hear it.
    Lance.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a link on their website for reporting how sucky their website is, but it's broken.
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    Capitalism insists that if you can deliver a better product then, by all means, get cracking....

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As has been mentioned here before, a good thing to do is to send Stacks' President, Brian Kendrella a thoughtful and informative quick email detailing ones particular internet issues. He is very responsive and has already fixed many of the problems facing those who have informed him of their issues.

Wondercoin >>

Ah, we have the developer.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    can't load my account, can't load images, ugh!

I'm sure "we're doing maintenance" or some other excuse is at hand. Why do people consign there?
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>can't load my account, can't load images, ugh!

I'm sure "we're doing maintenance" or some other excuse is at hand. Why do people consign there? >>

Some images have yet to be inserted into the lots...
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    How do I get them to stop sending me catalogues? I was never a Stacks customer, was a Teletrade customer though.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Why be frustrated? It won't ( can't )change as they continue to try and re-invent the wheel. It happens every day in the web business. I think the programmers laugh out loud until one day they find out that we the people found ________ ( Hahaha I said then changed my mind and edited it! )

Just go to Heritage in the meantime. They don't mind image

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How do I get them to stop sending me catalogues? I was never a Stacks customer, was a Teletrade customer though. >>

i

I think the secret is to buy from their auctions. The catalogs should then stop. It worked for me image
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Please. please bring back the final version of Teletrade. They finally got the thing right and then kaput.

12 years in the business and I never bought a coin from Stacks, not that I didn't try.
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>How do I get them to stop sending me catalogues? I was never a Stacks customer, was a Teletrade customer though. >>

i

I think the secret is to buy from their auctions. The catalogs should then stop. It worked for me image >>

Why do I believe that you not kidding?
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>How do I get them to stop sending me catalogues? >>

i

I think the secret is to buy from their auctions. The catalogs should then stop. It worked for me image >>

My experience exactly! image
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me too.

Best Regards,

George
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it has proven so frustrating that I don't even visit. they seemed to have a nice website before, what has caused the changes and difficulty there now??
  • Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    I have Windows 7 with Internet Explorer 9. I can't bid...or save anything to a watchlist...or anything.

-KHayse
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have Windows 7 with Internet Explorer 9. I can't bid...or save anything to a watchlist...or anything.

-KHayse >>

Does one's old TeleTrade info carry over?
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>The guys at Stacks Bowers read these forums... Every Day !!

If you are unhappy, be specific.... They will try and get someone
    in their IT Dept. to fix it.<<<

Sorry...but their site is not fixable. Like someone else said.......they should the old Teletrade site and just change the name.

Their IT department must be the 3 Stooges or the Marx brothers!!!!!! Or maybe both!!!
  • Options
    "I have Windows 7 with Internet Explorer 9. I can't bid...or save anything to a watchlist...or anything.
    -KHayse"

You better get that fixed fast with a 1972-P PCGS-MS66 TY 2 CAC IKE, 1971-P PCGS-MS66+ (pop 1/0) IKE, etc. coming up in their Nov. auction in about 2 weeks!!

Just call Wayne Berkeley at ext. 262 ... he is sitting there waiting to help folks with bidding problems, but he tells me he has not heard from anyone in months!

Wondercoin image
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have Windows 7 with Internet Explorer 9. I can't bid...or save anything to a watchlist...or anything. >>

While not completely relevant, you should consider upgrading as that combination will not be supported by Microsoft after 16Jan16. Yes, 15 months from now.

http://support2.microsoft.com/gp/microsoft-internet-explorer

Back to S/B, there simply is a limit as the number and versions of browsers any site can support, and the more complex the site the lower the limit. There's also a near infinite number of add-ons and other related software. So it could be simply your installation. Don't believe me? Try this site: https://panopticlick.eff.org/ (requires Java, but EFF is a pretty reputable organization), and you will likely see something like this:

<< <i>Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 4,615,014 tested so far. >>

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    I am wondering if I am the only person in the world that has *zero* problems with their site.
  • Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    For everyone that is having problems...do you have any of the same problems with the Heritage site? No? Gee, it seems that all those older browser versions work there, why not for Stacks?

Seems to me that Stacks-Bowers just does not care to fix any of their many problems with the site. All that has been said by users since they launched their new web site is how poorly done it is and how user UN-friendly it is. It will not do basic things that any bidder wants to do.

They have had plenty of time to fix the errors, they just continue to ignore the problem, as they lose consignor after consignor (at least the smaller ones which are needed to fill out an auction).

I consigned a few items to the Americana sale last January amid the continued problems, with Stack's employees telling me that they were working on solving the issues. However...all of those issues still exist.

It really isn't about the cost to build a good working web site...that is a small amount up against the potential lost sales. So, what is the problem? I would say bad management is mostly to blame, or perhaps ownership that feels they can do it the way they want and the buyers/consignors be damned!

I am currently considering whether to consign another group of items to the next Americana sale and if I do so, will be increasing my reserves to cover my ass...

Just my 25 cents worth...

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am wondering if I am the only person in the world that has *zero* problems with their site. >>

Although I preferred the Teletrade site, I don't really have any problem using the new Stack's site. It is a bit clunky and a bit of a pain to search, but I bid, sometimes I win, and when I do, the invoice and coins arrive almost as fast as Great Collections.
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    I've ordered off their site twice now. First time took over a month and numerous phone calls to get completed. They said they'd ship for free for all of the waiting I did, they still charged me. I decided to try again half a year later. It's been three weeks and I still haven't received my order. I do have a confirmation email, so I know they got it. I already told them they could cancel this order and haven't heard back. As far as I'm concerned this company is terrible and I won't think of ever doing any business with them again. Complete waste of time.

-Steve
  • Options

Hmm. Just for the fun of it, I went to their website and did this:

Clicked the Buy Direct link.
    Saw the Browse Rare Coins section
    Clicked on the "Half Dollars" where it shows a Walking Liberty Half.

I get a list that starts from the Half Cents and goes many pages.

Even basic startup sites I see are usually better then that.

I get a feeling someone on the top wants to keep their money and not pay a web developer anything.

Now I will admit - I only tried with one browser, on one PC, only spent a bit of time with this, etc. But what have we learned about first impressions, people?

Oh well.

JJacks
    Always buying music cards of artists I like! PSA or raw! Esp want PSA 10s 1991 Musicards Marx, Elton, Bryan Adams, etc. And 92/93 Country Gold AJ, Clint Black, Tim McGraw PSA 10s
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason the fix it guy has not gotten any calls is probably due to the fact that most of us got tired of their arcade site and just left!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file