Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Dave & Adam's Theft

Anyone else see this?

Link

Comments

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. This explains why their prices have been slightly higher than usual.
    Mike
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Holy cow, how awful!
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow thats huge!
    Glad they caught them.
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    YIKES! $1.3M, really? That's just crazy, goes to show businesses really need help with inventory management systems and strong review of collections/receipts practices.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    That's horrible. let those numbers sink in a little bit. This is a baseball card dealer who had over $1,000,000 worth of their product turned directly into a loss on the bottom line. I feel terrible for Dave and Adam, who have been around for a long time, and worked extremely hard to become one of the biggest names in the business. One million in losses is crushing and I am glad they exposed thesecriminals.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's some more information on the case:

Posted elsewhere online:

It was a computer software flaw that, in the words of the business’ co-owner, turned into “a license to steal” for three employees who took baseball, football and hockey trading cards worth $1.3 million. The $1.3 million represents the retail value of the boxes of cards the three employees stole and does not include any money they made from selling the most valuable of the cards on eBay.

The three who worked at Dave and Adam’s Card World exploited the flaw that let them buy a single box of sports trading cards on a credit card and then purchase additional boxes without being charged.

“They could have been human beings and told us about it, but instead they decided to become criminals,” said Adam Martin, co-owner of the Town of Tonawanda-based trading card company. "If they had come forward and told the company about the flaw, they would have received big bonuses", he said.

But now they face up to 15 years in prison. The three men – Aaron Hollars, 31, of West Seneca; Anthony Martone, 30, of Amherst; and David Woods, 25, of Williamsville – pleaded guilty to second-degree grand larceny this week in Erie County Court, according to District Attorney Frank A. Sedita III.

The trading card company, which started in 1991, will survive thanks to its online sales, Martin said. “If we had only our retail stores, this would have bankrupted us,” Martin said.

But the losses have set back the company. Six employees were laid off. And holiday bonuses the company gives its nearly 70 employees will not be as big.

“These three employees did this without considering how it would affect other employees,” Martin said.

The crime happened over an 18-month period between January 2013 and this July, prosecutors said. The three offenders worked as managers or assistant managers, rotating among the company’s four retail stores in Clarence, the Town of Tonawanda, Orchard Park and Niagara Falls. Hollars discovered the flaw that allowed him to buy a single box of sports trading cards on his credit card, then purchase additional boxes without being charged.

“He decided it was a license to steal,” Martin said.

Hollars told the two others about the flaw one night while they were out drinking, Martin said. All of the stolen boxes contained sports trading cards, mostly of baseball, football and hockey players. Hollars stole more than $800,000 in cards, while Martone got more than $100,000, and Woods collected more than $400,000, prosecutors said.

“It’s very discouraging,” Martin said. “They were close to us. We treated them well.”

Martin said he does not know how many cards the suspects sold on eBay or how much money they obtained from those sales. The theft was discovered earlier this summer when company officials noticed that the amount of money they should have received from credit card sales fell far short of what they got, resulting in losses. The three are scheduled to be sentenced Jan. 8 by Erie County Judge Kenneth F. Case.
    Mike
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    It's crazy that it went on for so long
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    These were people of "responsibility" so it was easier to have this happen.

In my business - it's easy to embezzle - if one isn't vigilant.

Cash is easier to steal - by manipulating the books.

There has to be a close tie/oversight between sales and sales adjustments and in the case of D&A, the "inventory," going forward.

Otherwise, it's just too easy to "buy one and get 2 free?"
    Mike
  • Options
    Delete
  • Options
    Dave & Adams are an asset to our hobby. How about sending them an order if you need something, mines going out today ...
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>These were people of "responsibility" so it was easier to have this happen.

In my business - it's easy to embezzle - if one isn't vigilant.

Cash is easier to steal - by manipulating the books.

There has to be a close tie/oversight between sales and sales adjustments and in the case of D&A, the "inventory," going forward.

Otherwise, it's just too easy to "buy one and get 2 free?"[/q

Couldn't have been said better. Can't trust anyone but you can trust your bookkeeping if done right.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    To me in an instance like this, the assets of the people who did the stealing should be sold and the proceeds of which go to repay whatever was stolen and could not be recovered. That means any house, car, jewelry, retirement, etc
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options

<< <i>To me in an instance like this, the assets of the people who did the stealing should be sold and the proceeds of which go to repay whatever was stolen and could not be recovered. That means any house, car, jewelry, retirement, etc >>

+1
    Mike
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    It was hard for me to focus on the content of that article, as it is written so poorly.
  • Options
    I was just thinking - after they get nailed for theft - I'm sure the IRS will be taking a close look?
    Mike
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dave & Adams are an asset to our hobby. How about sending them an order if you need something, mines going out today ... >>

Agreed!!!! Especially black friday sales. Gives me something to do when hanging with the inlaws and digesting 6K worth of calories.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    Last time I did a Heritage set - I bought the case from them.

Been some time.
    Mike
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Wow. I have purchased from Dave and Adam's Card World in the past. It is a great company. What a shame.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm curious how that much inventory was stolen without an red flags being raised, over a million dollars? That's insane, either way hopefully they recover. I've never done business with them but have heard of them a buch of times
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    That is scary, I wonder how they unloaded the stolen items?? People suck!!
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if D&A have a claim against the software maker for allowing this...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm curious how that much inventory was stolen without an red flags being raised, over a million dollars? That's insane, either way hopefully they recover. I've never done business with them but have heard of them a buch of times >>

I'm wondering the same thing as I read it. It's not like we're talking about Microsoft here. I have to believe that ~$100K per month is A LOT for that kind of a business. What kind of half ass bookkeeper do they have that this wasn't brought to light and that credit card statements aren't being reconciled at least to within material levels. While I feel bad for them, on some level, they really only have themselves to blame. >>

I'd say the monthly inventories between the multiple brick& mortar sites along with their mail order warehouse(if it exists) was what was being manipulated while it was happening, for them to get away with it. All of them were managers of some type.
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    who owns a business of that size and doesn't bother to carry theft insurance? that's the most bonkers part of this whole story imo.
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>who owns a business of that size and doesn't bother to carry theft insurance? that's the most bonkers part of this whole story imo. >>

+1
  • Options
    It does say at the end of the video that they have an insurance claim
  • Options
    if that's true, then why is it that "Because of them, five people lost their jobs, we had to cut because of the loss, we had to cut expenses, people with families aren't going to get bonuses," Martin added.

now i'm no big city lawyer, but miklia confuse.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>who owns a business of that size and doesn't bother to carry theft insurance? that's the most bonkers part of this whole story imo. >>

it wouldn't be theft insurance, since theft by employees is generally excluded on most policies. they would have needed an rider called "employee dishnoesty" which relatively very few businesses carry since they all mistakenly think they all have honest employees.

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>

it wouldn't be theft insurance, since theft by employees is generally excluded on most policies. they would have needed an rider called "employee dishnoesty" which relatively very few businesses carry since they all mistakenly think they all have honest employees.

IMF >>

or, perhaps even more likely, assume that this type of theft would also be covered. sounds like a lost cause claim then. what a shame.
  • Options

<< <i>if that's true, then why is it that "Because of them, five people lost their jobs, we had to cut because of the loss, we had to cut expenses, people with families aren't going to get bonuses," Martin added.

now i'm no big city lawyer, but miklia confuse. >>

Most likely scenario, he is angry and is and will be taking it out on those still under his employ. I can see him doing that. He's not the nicest guy in the world.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm curious how that much inventory was stolen without an red flags being raised, over a million dollars? That's insane, either way hopefully they recover. I've never done business with them but have heard of them a buch of times >>

I'm wondering the same thing as I read it. It's not like we're talking about Microsoft here. I have to believe that ~$100K per month is A LOT for that kind of a business. What kind of half ass bookkeeper do they have that this wasn't brought to light and that credit card statements aren't being reconciled at least to within material levels. While I feel bad for them, on some level, they really only have themselves to blame. >>

this.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Most likely scenario, he is angry and is and will be taking it out on those still under his employ. I can see him doing that. He's not the nicest guy in the world.

Wow, the company gets $1.3 million in retail value of their inventory stolen, and you malign the character of one of the owners? Do you have a personal axe to grind?
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

<< <i>if that's true, then why is it that "Because of them, five people lost their jobs, we had to cut because of the loss, we had to cut expenses, people with families aren't going to get bonuses," Martin added.

now i'm no big city lawyer, but miklia confuse. >>

The way I read it was that five people already lost their jobs because the business was struggling (because of the thefts) and they cut expenses (because they thought they were losing money) and people aren't getting bonus' (because they now realize someone stolen $1.3 million from them).

Hopefully miklia isn't confuse anymore.

My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>Most likely scenario, he is angry and is and will be taking it out on those still under his employ. I can see him doing that. He's not the nicest guy in the world.

Wow, the company gets $1.3 million in retail value of their inventory stolen, and you malign the character of one of the owners? Do you have a personal axe to grind? >>

Have you met him?
  • Options
    Card collecting aside, this is another sad reminder of society. It seems that this instant gratification has no boundaries and the en titlist mentality is growing out of control. It used to be that one had appreciation for their lifelong accumulations for they earned it. It seems now that the easier the better and better yet ride someone else's financial coattails to find personal satisfaction. I find this story of Dave and Adam bothersome, but one can only hope that the good guys finish first in the end.
    JDRF saves lives, let not another child walk down the path of juvenile diabetes alone. Consider giving either time or money, it will come back to you. $15,800 and counting....
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    I hereby sentence you, Michael Bolton... And Samir naan-- Nanadajibad... To a term of no less than 4 years in a federal "pound me in the ass" prison (and restitution)

Text
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Wow, those seem like light sentences when you consider the dollar amounts involved
    in the thefts.

Hopefully prison rape, convicted felons on all future job applications, and restitution will be enough punishment
    for these three lowlifes.
  • Options
    60sfan60sfan Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

<< <i>To me in an instance like this, the assets of the people who did the stealing should be sold and the proceeds of which go to repay whatever was stolen and could not be recovered. That means any house, car, jewelry, retirement, etc >>

Agree 100%
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad to see they got sentenced!

"Samir Nan, na, notgonnaworkhereanymore"
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    I saw part of the sentencing includes full restitution. I wonder how much of that D&A will ever see?

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, those seem like light sentences when you consider the dollar amounts involved
    in the thefts.

Hopefully prison rape, convicted felons on all future job applications, and restitution will be enough punishment
    for these three lowlifes. >>

I am sure they will not be where the rapists, murderers are. Generally with these type crimes they are served in a minmum security facility as the crimes are non-violent. Sort of like a bad country club if you will.
  • Options

<< <i>

Agree 100% >>

Me too
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw part of the sentencing includes full restitution. I wonder how much of that D&A will ever see?

IMF >>

They're both young, so probably all of it (albeit after a couple of decades).

Correct me if I am wrong, but restitution following a criminal proceeding cannot be wiped clean with bankruptcy. They seem to be 25 and 30 years old respectively - they'll be paying back this debt for a very long time.

So jail time, a criminal record, unemployment and a new six-figure debt that will follow them forever? Their lives are ruined.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I saw part of the sentencing includes full restitution. I wonder how much of that D&A will ever see?

IMF >>

Correct me if I am wrong, but restitution following a criminal proceeding cannot be wiped clean with bankruptcy. They seem to be 25 and 30 years old respectively - they'll be paying back this debt for a very long time.

So jail time, a criminal record, unemployment and a new six-figure debt that will follow them forever? Their lives are ruined. >>

+1
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I always find it interesting how often very normal people seem to consider rapes a fair consequence for criminal acts . I am sure it is because the person making the comment

a) didn't think about it very much before saying it
    b.) has never been victimized in a similar manner

I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I always find it interesting how often very normal people seem to consider rapes a fair consequence for criminal acts . I am sure it is because the person making the comment

b.) has never been victimized in a similar manner >>

Amen!
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I always find it interesting how often very normal people seem to consider rapes a fair consequence for criminal acts . I am sure it is because the person making the comment

b.) has never been victimized in a similar manner >>

c.) they're quoting a movie

Agreed on the premise of your comment.
  • Options
    The guy who stole the most claims he has a gambling addiction and is seeking treatment for it. Then he says he hopes nothing like that happens to him again. The judge should have doubled his sentence after hearing that.
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

IMF >>

So jail time, a criminal record, unemployment and a new six-figure debt that will follow them forever? Their lives are ruined. >>

+1

Not to mention the possibility of their personal lives being potentially ruined.
    I know for a fact if I did something that landed me jail and $100,000 debt, my wife would leave my azz, and my relationship with my kids would be a lot different.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Were Dave and Adam that out of touch with their business or were they just completely fooled by people they thought they could trust to run the business?
    I would love to know how they pulled this off without the owners noticing a Mil going out the door.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"