Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1980 Topps Rickey Henderson PSA 10

I mentioned that I am a back to collecting after 25 years away. Last night I finished the list of all the cards, sets, and packs I want. At this time I should be able to afford everything except one card. I will need to save up for this one likely for 10 years.

Has anyone ever owned, know someone that owned, or held one of these?

How can I find out when one of these goes up for auction outside of ebay?

I read there was a sale in 2012 from Dmitri Young's collection of this card for ~$12K.

An ebay listing said one is worth $25K. Is that true? If it is, I will probably have to pass.

ebay listing

Comments

• ergoismergoism Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    If one of these came to auction today it would likely finish in the 20-25k range. I'm looking for one as well.
  • JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    The Dmitri Young specimen was not a good one. Had it looked better, it would have probably gone higher.

The card you have shown an auction for is not bad, but unfortunately I do not believe would 10.

Justin
  • garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If one of these came to auction today it would likely finish in the 20-25k range. I'm looking for one as well. >>

Why do you think it would finish that high?

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭
    I think one would go for ~$15,000 now.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If one of these came to auction today it would likely finish in the 20-25k range. I'm looking for one as well. >>

Why do you think it would finish that high? >>

I agree with Evan. A couple of deep pockets would most likely drive the price up.

I also think that the trend of unopened prices shooting up will eventually correlate to high grade, scarce PSA 10 singles; especially with this card. Right now those 1980 wax boxes make no sense to rip anymore (and likely the rack/cello versions as well). This diminishes the likelihood of seeing additional, submit-able PSA 10 candidates enter the market. With this equation, in my opinion, you have a very realistic price of ~20Kish.

Justin

<< <i>

Why do you think it would finish that high? >>

I'm getting my information from a few relatively recent private sales. I've followed the market for this card for a while. I would be pleased if a solid 10 auctioned for around 15k shagrotn77 because that would mean I'd feel like I got a bargain. Justin makes a great point with the price of unopened beginning to correlate more with the low pop 10s in each issue. Also, the Henderson 10 is a pop 12 out of over 13,000 graded. It's a pretty damn tough card.
  • DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the Rickey Henderson RC, but I think the PSA 10 is one of the silliest buys in the world. When one considers the amount of unopened and high grade raw material lurking that has yet to be graded, and when one further considers how affordable a gorgeous PSA 9 is, it become strictly a holder buy in my opinion. The difference between the absolute best PSA 9 Rickey RCs and the few 10s I have held in my hand is infinitesimal if not nil-- and some of the 10s had tilt or centering or a PD that made them look inferior to the best 9s. Even if we are talking about a hypothetical PSA 10 Rickey that truly merits the grade, is it 24.7k better than the best PSA 9? Of course not. For 25k you can have a whole slew of awesome, gorgeous, impressive cards and a PSA 9 Rickey that could easily 10 on a good day before the grader. If you pull it from a pack and grade it out, cool; if you buy it as a 9 and review it, cool; but I think it's a bad buy for 10k+ versus a $300 PSA 9. The price jump is just too big for too little a jump in card quality.

Here are two 10s and a PSA 9...

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• << <i>I love the Rickey Henderson RC, but I think the PSA 10 is one of the silliest buys in the world. When one considers the amount of unopened and high grade raw material lurking that has yet to be graded, and when one further considers how affordable a gorgeous PSA 9 is, it become strictly a holder buy in my opinion. The difference between the absolute best PSA 9 Rickey RCs and the few 10s I have held in my hand is infinitesimal if not nil-- and some of the 10s had tilt or centering or a PD that made them look inferior to the best 9s. Even if we are talking about a hypothetical PSA 10 Rickey that truly merits the grade, is it 24.7k better than the best PSA 9? Of course not. For 25k you can have a whole slew of awesome, gorgeous, impressive cards and a PSA 9 Rickey that could easily 10 on a good day before the grader. If you pull it from a pack and grade it out, cool; if you buy it as a 9 and review it, cool; but I think it's a bad buy for 10k+ versus a $300 PSA 9. The price jump is just too big for too little a jump in card quality. >>

+1. Couldn't agree more. I am a PSA snob when it comes to 8's and 9's that merit the grade. The price difference to uptick to a 10 is not worth it with any example.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    I don't think is a good investment as Rickey is a likely candidate for steroid use allegations down the road

<< <i>I love the Rickey Henderson RC, but I think the PSA 10 is one of the silliest buys in the world. When one considers the amount of unopened and high grade raw material lurking that has yet to be graded, and when one further considers how affordable a gorgeous PSA 9 is, it become strictly a holder buy in my opinion. The difference between the absolute best PSA 9 Rickey RCs and the few 10s I have held in my hand is infinitesimal if not nil-- and some of the 10s had tilt or centering or a PD that made them look inferior to the best 9s. Even if we are talking about a hypothetical PSA 10 Rickey that truly merits the grade, is it 24.7k better than the best PSA 9? Of course not. For 25k you can have a whole slew of awesome, gorgeous, impressive cards and a PSA 9 Rickey that could easily 10 on a good day before the grader. If you pull it from a pack and grade it out, cool; if you buy it as a 9 and review it, cool; but I think it's a bad buy for 10k+ versus a $300 PSA 9. The price jump is just too big for too little a jump in card quality.

image >>

Matty, you make some good points. I would pass on the three examples you showed though. The 1st and 3rd for L-R and the middle for seemingly touched bottom left and top right corners. I still think a solid 10 would auction for 20-25k. And as silly as 10s may be, they will likely still perform very well over time. One might be able to sell it a few years down the road and be able to have an even bigger slew of awesome, gorgeous, and impressive cards.
    I have nothing against worthy 10s but on the subject of the Ricky Henderson 10 in particular, I am looking at it as a collector shopping for his collection, based on the OP's post. It's a 20k outlay on estimate, and I think a collection can wind up with in essence the same exact card for a mere $300. The middle card above can be had for $300 but the side examples are the 10s which someone would hypothetically pay 20k+ more for, which does not seem to compute. Resubbed raw 10 times, I would bet those two 10s come back 9s a bunch, which says a lot.

As a comparative example on the financial performance side, I'd bet the PSA 4 1914 CJ Cobb at Goodwin right now for example will slaughter the PSA 10 Rickey in terms of appreciation over the long haul-- and it may cost half the price of the Rickey. One is a mere condition rarity, if it is even graded accurately, and the other is a true rarity with age and is part of a far more exalted set. How much higher can a PSA 10 1980 Henderson sell for, than 20k? I am not so sure that card is a guaranteed profit on resell a few years down the road, especially if more are minted. The demand is there to absorb a few more in the population report, but on the other hand it stops being special when one knows 20 other guys can have the same sticker-- let alone how many 9s are essentially the same card in other collections.

It's a surprisingly hard card to find in perfect state, not to mention a beautiful image and overall card design of a premier player. But for my money, be it as a collection play or even a purely financial play, the PSA 10 Rickey RC would not be high on my list; for that same 20k one could spread their risk around on a bunch of high quality cards that would likely outperform the Rickey, cards that would appeal to a broader pool of buyers and thus be more liquid, too. A card like a Rickey 10 needs to find a certain type of buyer and sometimes that takes a little while, which is another nuance for consideration. End of the day I, whenever possible will always try to help my boys or any collector for that matter make a good bet and I think the PSA Ricky is not the safest one around for the loochie.

• Buy the card, not the holder doesn't ring more true than for The Rickey Rookie.

PSA 9's are $350ish

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Buy the card, not the holder doesn't ring more true than for The Rickey Rookie.

PSA 9's are $350ish >>

+1
  • skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I love the Rickey Henderson RC, but I think the PSA 10 is one of the silliest buys in the world. When one considers the amount of unopened and high grade raw material lurking that has yet to be graded, and when one further considers how affordable a gorgeous PSA 9 is, it become strictly a holder buy in my opinion. The difference between the absolute best PSA 9 Rickey RCs and the few 10s I have held in my hand is infinitesimal if not nil-- and some of the 10s had tilt or centering or a PD that made them look inferior to the best 9s. Even if we are talking about a hypothetical PSA 10 Rickey that truly merits the grade, is it 24.7k better than the best PSA 9? Of course not. For 25k you can have a whole slew of awesome, gorgeous, impressive cards and a PSA 9 Rickey that could easily 10 on a good day before the grader. If you pull it from a pack and grade it out, cool; if you buy it as a 9 and review it, cool; but I think it's a bad buy for 10k+ versus a $300 PSA 9. The price jump is just too big for too little a jump in card quality.

image >>

+1
    Everyone is making perfectly reasonable points but my brain still wants a solid 10. Help.
  • PSA 9 cards don't make the money that PSA 10's do. Never will. Dmitri's card was a gift at 12K. Those days are over. While I have a dozen or so PSA 9's, smoking a** 9's they went up from $225 to $350. Big wow! Clearly the audience is not there like they are for PSA 10's. I'd much rather have a 12K card staring down a 30K Memory Lane hammer that a dozen 9's at a $100 a pop profit.
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Maybe buy 10 of the best 9s you can find and have them reviewed or crack and re-sub. Get lucky and you get the 10 for a fraction. If no bump, either try again or flip em and start over.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
    Evan, I think the best path to a 10 is to find one hiding in a 9 holder and then keep reviewing or crack-resubbing it, if you want to have it 10 and then sell it. You get the best of both worlds that way.

JWall, I think the audience among collectors is there for great cards, be they 9s or 10s or 2s. I think Dmitry's 10 was a gift in terms of the grading assessment and I bet most collectors would pass on that card raw all day. In terms of prices and appreciation, I'd take a PSA 9 Rickey RC that goes from $300 to $500 over a 10 that goes from 20k to 20k-- I just don't see that particular 10 going much beyond where it is now. One would be tying up 20k when there's little underpinning logic to predict much appreciation beyond its current level; the player has maxed in terms of HOF and performance, the card is not a hobby icon on the level of a Mantle or Ruth, though it is for its era no doubt, and there are literally thousands of them ungraded and unopened. I agree a modest increase from $300 to $500 is not much, but then again even ew grand profit on the 10 is not putting anyone's kids through Ivy League school or buying someone a Benz or a five star vacation. But again that's just with the focus on the money. I think having a dozen amazing 9s is very impressive, even moreso than one of the 10s pictured above... so you selling any? image In fact I'd bet the dozen great 9s will likely make you more profit in the short term of a year or two than a so-so 10. A truly immaculate 10 (not the the two pictured above, might be a different story).

• The market is there. I can personally tell you that I've had a handful of cash offers for mine well north of 15k.

Justin
  • Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Everyone is making perfectly reasonable points but my brain still wants a solid 10. Help. >>

I have been reading this thread and this sums up my thoughts exactly. Every time I "settle" for a card one grade off, I get it and immediately look for one grade higher. I have this card in a PSA 9 and I think about chasing the 10 every time I look at it. The increasing amount of wax being sealed means no one is opening a lot of new ones. I actually bought my PSA 9 raw off of craigslist in a group of sets.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

image >>

I'll take the one in the middle!,

<< <i>

<< <i>Everyone is making perfectly reasonable points but my brain still wants a solid 10. Help. >>

I have been reading this thread and this sums up my thoughts exactly. Every time I "settle" for a card one grade off, I get it and immediately look for one grade higher. I have this card in a PSA 9 and I think about chasing the 10 every time I look at it. The increasing amount of wax being sealed means no one is opening a lot of new ones. I actually bought my PSA 9 raw off of craigslist in a group of sets. >>

That's me also. If I settle for a 9, a 10 won't be far behind. image
    As long as the "one-grade higher" card you're looking for is a superior card to your 9, all good go for it. My opinion is just don't buy an uglier card with a higher number printed on its sticker, because the card beneath the label is what you and your fellow collectors will have their eyes on, admiring.

• ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As long as the "one-grade higher" card you're looking for is a superior card to your 9, all good go for it. My opinion is just don't buy an uglier card with a higher number printed on its sticker, because the card beneath the label is what you and your fellow collectors will have their eyes on, admiring. >>

Agreed that many of us look at the card, but you and I both know that what a lot of collectors admire is that number on the sticker. I've always 100% agreed with you from a collecting standpoint.....buy the nicest 9 and avoid a 10. But from strictly an investment standpoint, there's no denying that the rate of returns for PSA 10's just continue to get out of sight. That 11K Dmitri Young Rickey is now probably a 20-25K card, as Evan said. I think that's what a lot of people are seeing when they're buying those 10's.

I think it's more about the chase than anything for Evan and others that collect 10's. That rush that comes with owning one of the rarest and most sought after cards in the hobby. I get that too.

Like, for instance, whoever owns the only PSA 10 Nolan Ryan RC. That would be a pretty cool thing to own just because it's the only one. And whoever owns it can probably name their price....

This is a great thread.

Oh, and Matty, the one in the middle is a blazer. Is that the 10?
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • CWCW Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭
    Is this the "Show your Henderson rookie" thread? image

• Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful card CW....I can't find anything wrong with it. Is the back perfectly centered also? I don't see any fisheyes or any print defects. Is there perhaps a very slight tilt?

Jimmy
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

I'll take the one in the middle!, >>

You and Terrible Teresa.

• << <i>Evan, I think the best path to a 10 is to find one hiding in a 9 holder and then keep reviewing or crack-resubbing it, if you want to have it 10 and then sell it. You get the best of both worlds that way.

JWall, I think the audience among collectors is there for great cards, be they 9s or 10s or 2s. I think Dmitry's 10 was a gift in terms of the grading assessment and I bet most collectors would pass on that card raw all day. In terms of prices and appreciation, I'd take a PSA 9 Rickey RC that goes from $300 to $500 over a 10 that goes from 20k to 20k-- I just don't see that particular 10 going much beyond where it is now. One would be tying up 20k when there's little underpinning logic to predict much appreciation beyond its current level; the player has maxed in terms of HOF and performance, the card is not a hobby icon on the level of a Mantle or Ruth, though it is for its era no doubt, and there are literally thousands of them ungraded and unopened. I agree a modest increase from $300 to $500 is not much, but then again even ew grand profit on the 10 is not putting anyone's kids through Ivy League school or buying someone a Benz or a five star vacation. But again that's just with the focus on the money. I think having a dozen amazing 9s is very impressive, even moreso than one of the 10s pictured above... so you selling any? image In fact I'd bet the dozen great 9s will likely make you more profit in the short term of a year or two than a so-so 10. A truly immaculate 10 (not the the two pictured above, might be a different story). >>

DM23HOF,

Dmitri's 10 was probably slightly overgraded. But we see this all the time with any TPG service. 9's are 10's and 10's are 9's because everyone has different opinions. Investment wise over a 1-year period, my dozen or so hand selected and painstakingly scrutinized 9's might outperform Dmitri's 10. But over a 5-year period, that 10 will utterly destroy the return on my 9's. And there is no logic to price appreciation on rare PSA 10's that I can see. Look the Tony's $400K Nolan Ryan in AZ that just sold? In two-years, what is the next sale? $525K? Each time a rarely seen card appears for sale, it seems to set a new precedent. PSA 4 and 5 and 6's in vintage are around just like PSA 9 Henderson rookies. They come up every auction. Sure they appreciate but not nearly the rate of PSA 8, 9 or 10 in vintage or PSA 10 in modern.
    I hear ya, but I am not sold on the PSA 10 Rickey appreciating like a Ryan which is a POP 1 or a more vintage card like an Aaron, Mick, or Yaz. Also, what's good to keep in mind is that anomalous sales, while certainly legit in many cases, can also be a case of attempted price manipulation in other cases. In other words, not every "documented" sale was a legitimate transaction where money and card changed hands. When a card is infrequently sold, the possibility for such a phantom sales data point is greater than with cards in more heavily traded grades, which are more stable. Just something to consider. End of the day it's all about what one likes and is impressed or moved by.

• DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Great...now I want a PSA 9 Rickey. image
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obtain 12-15 of the whitest, sharpest, most bright photo, razor sharp corners, 50/50 T/B L/R, PSA 9's, and either resub/regrade, or crackout and regrade raw, and roll the dice attempting to obtain a PSA 10 would be the way to go, and the cheapest via spending 12K-15K or 20K-25K.

I need this card for my 1980 Topps PSA 10 set, just like a few other Guys. I have obtained several pictures online of most of the PSA 10 Henderson R/C's and must say if I had my choice, and I'm not being biased here, but JustinShoeBox's specimen is possibly the finest PSA 10 that I have seen.

Later, Paul.
  • 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Obtain 12-15 of the whitest, sharpest, most bright photo, razor sharp corners, 50/50 T/B L/R, PSA 9's, and either resub/regrade, or crackout and regrade raw, and roll the dice attempting to obtain a PSA 10 would be the way to go, and the cheapest via spending 12K-15K or 20K-25K.

I need this card for my 1980 Topps PSA 10 set, just like a few other Guys. I have obtained several pictures online of most of the PSA 10 Henderson R/C's and must say if I had my choice, and I'm not being biased here, but JustinShoeBox's specimen is possibly the finest PSA 10 that I have seen. >>

Paul, I still love the henderson you pulled at our booth in Chicago at the Sun Times show in fall 2012!

Dave
  • esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

I think I can help.

When it comes to price appreciation of HOF rookie cards, the PSA 10s almost always lead the way, by a long ways, percentage-wise. It's perfectly logical to say "buy the card, not the grade," but when it comes time to cash out, the grade wins the day. We don't even need to get into the pain of a single resale versus, in this case, dozens.

For my personal collection, I'm happy with a NM/MT raw example. However, if you gave me the choice to invest $20K in 70 PSA 9 Henderson RCs or one PSA 10, I'd take the 10 without hesitation.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
    Here's a fun hypothetical; I love these... How about the choice between the Henderson 10 for the aforementioned 25k and...

A centered 1952 Topps Mantle in PSA 3 for 14k
    A centered high-end PSA 8 Nolan Ryan RC for 2k
    A PSA 9 George Brett RC for 2k
    A PSA 9 Jordan Fleer RC for 2k
    A PSA 3 1915 Cracker Jack Cobb 5k

For my money, I'd bet the latter group would beat the Henderson 10 in terms of profit on resale at any time frame, and be far more impressive for a collection.

• mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a fun hypothetical; I love these... How about the choice between the Henderson 10 for the aforementioned 25k and...

For my money, I'd bet the latter group would beat the Henderson 10 in terms of profit on resale at any time frame, and be far more impressive for a collection. >>

If they had good eye appeal for the grade, right? Not just any run of the mill card.

------
    stupid print dots

• CWCW Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Beautiful card CW....I can't find anything wrong with it. Is the back perfectly centered also? I don't see any fisheyes or any print defects. Is there perhaps a very slight tilt?

Jimmy >>

Thanks, Jimmy! I'll have to find a scan of the back, if possible. The card is slightly tilted, I think, and it does have a very light surface scratch that is only visible at a certain angle, just to the right of Henderson.
  • 60sfan60sfan Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    Buying a PSA 9 would be more exciting if there weren't 1,423 other PSA 9's.
  • Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Buying a PSA 9 would be more exciting if there weren't 1,423 other PSA 9's. >>

I agree with this, but I wonder out of this number, how many are crack and resubs/reviews etc. I'd be hardpressed to think that there are actually 1,423 PSA 9's out there. Even still, let's say there are 800-900, that number makes it less appealing to me as well.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a fun hypothetical; I love these... How about the choice between the Henderson 10 for the aforementioned 25k and...

For my money, I'd bet the latter group would beat the Henderson 10 in terms of profit on resale at any time frame, and be far more impressive for a collection. >>

I'm sure these are all very nice cards to collect, and will do really well over the next 5, 10, 20 years or so, but I for 1 am building a 1980 Topps baseball set, so therefore it will be a MUST for me to obtain an extremely sweet specimen #482.

<< <i>Paul, I still love the henderson you pulled at our booth in Chicago at the Sun Times show in fall 2012! >>

I thank you for the compliment, as this is still one of my all time thrills at the Nationals! Everytime I'm at the Nationals now I will rip something at your table if you have a booth set up! Always a super good time.

Later, Paul.

<< <i>Buying a PSA 9 would be more exciting if there weren't 1,423 other PSA 9's. >>

True, but how many of the 9s are tilted or poorly centered, since we just saw two of the 10s are not that pretty at all. In this way the pop report numbers belie the difficulty of finding a gorgeous, high-end 9 of the Rickey RC. Probably one of every 10 or maybe as high as 25 of the PSA 9s looks like CW's, or the middle card in the grouping of 3 shown earlier. Looking at it that way, going beyond the grade and parsing out the higher-end 9s from the pack, might make it more exciting, challenging, and rewarding. Also, we shouldn't discount how the grading company wants there to be few 10s of the card, and so there may be a good bunch of the 9s that are deserving; so there are some politics at play behind the pop data that we should take into account.

• JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 487 ✭✭✭
    I am surprised that PSA will grade a card a 10 that is noticeably off center.
  • I agree with DM23HOF on this one id rather buy a perfectly centered Rickey Psa 9 rookie than get a Psa 10.
    With that leftover savings you could get a nice Jordan fleer rookie and possibly a Ruth or mantle.

<< <i>I am surprised that PSA will grade a card a 10 that is noticeably off center. >>

More than you think. This card of course not on the level of the Henderson but still graded 10 even with the OC

PSA 10
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭
    Ouch.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I am surprised that PSA will grade a card a 10 that is noticeably off center. >>

More than you think. This card of course not on the level of the Henderson but still graded 10 even with the OC

PSA 10 >>

Bulk submitter. Same way with 4SC. Lots of their 10s aren't centered well, although I'm sure they're within regulation for a 10.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PSA 10

Great description.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a beautiful card, though I'm not so sure that the majority of vintage collectors would be that enamored with a PSA 10 Henderson RC. The description is quite an impressive exercise in verbosity, though.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    The description hits a common pet peeve of mine - exaggerating the % by a factor of 100. It's 0.001, or 0.1% of all graded, not 0.001%.

A cool card, although, "There's no bigger prize emanating from the baseball diamond over the last 40 years than a PSA 10 graded 1980 Topps Rickey Henderson rookie card," is going a bit far.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>PSA 10

Great description. >>

Isn't 13/13000 or 1/1000 .1% not .001%