Home Precious Metals

interesting article on the home depot data breach

bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a pm thread but anyone who has used a card at home depot had better do some pre emptive damage control .

As this article details the hackers have been able to change PIN numbers because the got the zip code where the cards were used.

link to krebs security posting

Comments

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Experts of the corporate hack saw this coming.

They should have drilled it into shareholders that this could happen. It will no doubt hammer the stock price.

The damage is wrenching, but will level off over time.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds more like Home Deepoop!
    theknowitalltroll;
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hardly any protection when you use a Debit Card. Use your cc instead & pay off your balance monthly.
    I've never used a Debit/ATM card for purchases and never will. Yes Home Depot is one of my favorite stores.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously, the preference for the thieves is debit card data. Having it puts cash in their hands.

One should not even own a debit card. Need cash? Go to the bank and withdraw it.

"Who needs risk management when you’ve got guaranteed bailouts? - Jesse Felder

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Experts of the corporate hack saw this coming.

They should have drilled it into shareholders that this could happen. It will no doubt hammer the stock price.

The damage is wrenching, but will level off over time. >>

HD issues 2 billion in debt to buy back stock

I wonder if that was a good idea ?image
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Obviously, the preference for the thieves is debit card data. Having it puts cash in their hands.

One should not even own a debit card. Need cash? Go to the bank and withdraw it. >>

No, one should never have a visa check/debit card. Those will overdraft w/no CC protection whatsover. A plain old ATM card is actually better than those trashy things, can't run up more than you actually have.