Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What do you think is the hardest Topps set to find nicely centered cards?

After going through my cards from the group rip and doing some upgrades for my 1970's sets, it really started to hit me how difficult 1979 is. I don't know if its's the really thin borders or just quality control gone terribly bad. If I were to try to build a PSA 9 or PSA 10 set that would be a big challenge, it would be that one.

Any other sets that stand out with this issue more than others?
The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
TheClockworkAngelCollection

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1979 Topps is very tough~much tougher than 1978. For the years for which I've opened packs, from 1972 through 1980, I'd say 1979 is arguably the toughest. 1977 is pretty tough, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Don't know about what year specifically and I know the late seventies can be tough but the ONE card I can't find centered in decent grade for nothing is a 1956 Dale Mitchell. I know they exist and I'll one day fork over big bucks for guy whose claim to fame is the last out to the most famous perfect game in history but i sure can't find one.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a thread with some responses to that effect...

OC Set Thread Link

I think 69 and 79 are way up there. 75 Minis as well with the tilts and OC.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    1979 is very tough, but for me so far, it would have to be 1981. I opened 9 cello packs recently and didn't even receive one "10 candidate". If I ever decide to work on a graded set for that year, I think I'm just going to buy them already graded, and skip trying to make homemade 10's lol.
    The same can be said for 1979, especially with the prices of 1979 being so much more than 1981. For me, the act of ripping product on 1980 and earlier looking for 10's isn't really feasible anymore with the prices being what they are.
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1979 Topps is very tough~much tougher than 1978. For the years for which I've opened packs, from 1972 through 1980, I'd say 1979 is arguably the toughest. 1977 is pretty tough, too. >>

+1
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    1979 is my choice for Topps. 1979 OPC is 10 times more difficult than the Topps version.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    1957 Basketball, hands down.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    1955 Topps. The few Clemente and Koufax cards that are centered are either beaters elsewhere or are extremely expensive.
    Matt
    Looking for post-war hof rc's, raw or graded.
    Successful dealings: grote15, wilkiebaby11, BPorter26 and gregmo32.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1979 Topps is very tough~much tougher than 1978. For the years for which I've opened packs, from 1972 through 1980, I'd say 1979 is arguably the toughest. 1977 is pretty tough, too. >>

Beat me to the punch, 79 was first thing that came to mind, 86 seems pretty tough too.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    For Football 1972 and 1978
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For Football 1972 and 1978 >>

Speaking of 1978 Football, I was looking through that set recently and is it me or did Topps completely blow off putting any effort into their football set that year? Not only is it one of the blandest designs ever, but almost all the pictures and poses are just portrait shots with no imagination whatsoever. Not that 1979-1981 were that much better, but this year, in particular, Topps really mailed it in
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a thread with some responses to that effect...

OC Set Thread Link

I think 69 and 79 are way up there. 75 Minis as well with the tilts and OC. >>

75 Minis would definitely take 2nd place in my experience. Topps did not know anything about that size card and quite obviously made a lot of mistakes in the cutting and production process. But that's part of the mystique of finding that perfectly centered Mini right?

In order, I'd rank these with sets as having the worst centering
    1979 Topps BB
    1975 Topps Mini
    1981 Topps Football
    1969 Topps Baseball
    1962 Topps Baseball

• Options
    1980 Topps Hockey - The cards were generally horribly centered plus if opened, the pucks were scratched.
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    1967 Topps Baseball is tough. Between the thin borders and poor trimming (many cards are not square cut) finding any perfectly centered, square card is difficult.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think one that doesn't get mentioned much for football is the 1965 Topps set.
    Very tough to find a nuts centered card in that issue.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    1952 Topps High numbers are quite tough to find nicely centered
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.