Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

JGF's Unopened Rip Thread: 1981-1991 Topps Football Boxes (FINAL ROUNDS 35-36)

Comments

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Tippett! >>

Haha...I knew you would like that 1985 Dan! >>

Have you pulled any 1984 Tippett RCs? I've lost track. >>

None so far...maybe next round...
  • Options

<< <i>Farrrrrve image

What is the Tippett situation Dan ? Not ever seen a hard core Tippett fan, although the man was a badass. Not much activity out there in Tippett card land. Did you know the guy ? >>

Big time Patriots fan. In the late 80s they royally sucked, but Tippett was an all pro racking up the sacks. I worshiped the guy. If it wasn't for a guy named Lawrence Taylor, Tippett would be considered the premier pass rushing LB of his generation. Until the Brady years, the Pats had very few legends. I collect 2 of them, Tippett and Cappelletti. They and John Hannah were probably the best Pats of the franchise's first 40 years. But this is too long winded. My favorite player when I was a kid was Tippett, and that's why I collect him. I was fortunate enough to meet him about 4 years ago and tell him that. One of my favorite possessions is a "well loved" Tippett Starting Lineup figure.
  • Options
    Ahh yes man That would do it image Understood. If I get Tippetts anywhere going forward will save and offer. Congrats on that actually. My hero's - early on it was OJ, later Canseco. So I got that going for me image
  • Options

<< <i>If I get Tippetts anywhere going forward will save and offer. >>

Thanks, you're the best.
  • Options
    Boom x2!! Round 15 was another stellar break with a second classic vintage Montana RC and then a top tier modern day RC of Megatron to cap it off. Man I am still super stoked about this round!! Also had a Boomer Esiason RC, Warren Moon Sticker RC and a monster Tony Mandarich RC image Just sent 6 of the cards from the break so far to PSA as part of my free submissions for the CC membership. This has been a blast so far and I am not even half way done.

This brings the RC recap to:

1981 = Joe Montana RC x 2, Art Monk RC
    1982 = Ronnie Lott RC, Chris Collinsworth RC
    1983 = none
    1984 = Dan Marino RC x 2, Eric Dickerson RC
    1985 = Warren Moon RC
    1986 = Reggie White RC x 2, Bruce Smith RC, Andre Reed RC, Boomer Esiason RC
    1987 = Randall Cunningham RC
    1988 = Bo Jackson RC x 3
    1989 = Barry Sanders RC, Deion Sanders RC x 2, Thurman Thomas RC, Rod Woodson RC, Bruce Matthews RC
    1991 = Brett Favre RC
    2007 = Dwayne Jarrett AUTO + Tim Shaw AUTO + Dante Hughes AUTO + Calvin Johnson AUTO

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was a great idea to maximimize ripping enjoyment! Congrats on the pulls!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Stoked!

Great Round!

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    Wow, this round was sweet on so many levels! Love the Johnson auto RC and kudos on a second Montana! There was a real abundance of HOFers in this round! Always love to see Hannah and Brady make appearances.
  • Options
    This is just coolness. All around coolness. Love the pics. Should be more threads like this. Makes the viewing more enjoyable.
  • Options
    Round 16 and 17 are in the books. Nothing too exciting, just a couple of fun rookies of Billy Sims, Howie Long and Boomer Esiason along with some HOFers.

1981 = Joe Montana RC x 2, Art Monk RC
    1983 = none
    1984 = Dan Marino RC x 2, Eric Dickerson RC, Howie Long RC
    1985 = Warren Moon RC
    1986 = Reggie White RC x 2, Bruce Smith RC, Andre Reed RC, Boomer Esiason RC x 2
    1988 = Bo Jackson RC x 3
    1989 = Barry Sanders RC, Deion Sanders RC x 2, Thurman Thomas RC, Rod Woodson RC, Bruce Matthews RC
    1991 = Brett Favre RC
    2007 = Dwayne Jarrett AUTO + Tim Shaw AUTO + Dante Hughes AUTO + Calvin Johnson AUTO

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Love the 82 Payton "in action" card.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Nice pulls once again. Love the Payton cards, especially that 1982 In Action card where he's diving over the pile. I also noticed an '81 Topps of Jack Thompson, "The Throwin' Samoan" image.
  • Options
    So I have reached the midpoint of the rip and did so in style with my first Elway RC. There was also an appearance from Bernie Kosar and Bruce Matthews on the RC front. Here are my observations after ripping half of each box:

1) 1980's quality control sucked from 1981-1986 and then got significantly better, so there is upside for pre-1986 high grade set builders and no point 1987 and after
    2) After opening ~2970 cards, only 45 have a legit shot at PSA 10 which is a measly 1.5%
    3) 1981, 1982, 1984, 1986 and 1989 are a blast to open...all other years pretty much suck
    4) There is still a massive thrill when pulling a top flight HOF RC (e.g. Montana, Elway, Marino, Rice, B. Sanders), so I encourage moderate ripping
    5) I have gotten pretty lucky so far and have only missed pulling LT, Allen, Rice, Young, Kelly and Aikman at the midpoint

1981 = (2) Joe Montana RC, Art Monk RC
    1983 = none
    1984 = (2) Dan Marino RC, John Elway RC, Eric Dickerson RC, Howie Long RC
    1985 = Warren Moon RC
    1986 = (2) Reggie White RC, Bruce Smith RC, Andre Reed RC, (2) Boomer Esiason RC, Bernie Kosar RC
    1988 = (3) Bo Jackson RC
    1989 = Barry Sanders RC, (2) Deion Sanders RC, Thurman Thomas RC, Rod Woodson RC, (2) Bruce Matthews RC
    1991 = Brett Favre RC

• Options
    Wow...these three rounds generated a ton of key 1980's rookies!! None worth grading, but still a lot of iconic cardboard came out of these packs. This was seriously fun to open image

Round 19...Darrell Green RC makes it's first appearance, but another is going to follow quickly. I also have landed the 1989 Score "Sanders" 3x hot box...unfortunately it is the wrong Sanders (no offense Deion).

Round #20...two new RC appearance in 1985 and 1986 by Mr. Richard Dent and the greatest WR of all time, Mr. Jerry Rice. The Rice RC is my favorite card of the 1980's...complete thrill to pull this one even though the L/R centering is not ideal. Everything else about the card was flawless though. Also a nice 2nd year Marino to boot. Enjoy the pics image

Round #21 was a monster RC round. Killer appearances in 1983 (Allen), 1984 (Elway and Green), 1991 (Favre)!! Also a nice 3rd year Marino...

1983 = Marcus Allen RC
    1984 = (2) Dan Marino RC, (2) John Elway RC, Eric Dickerson RC, Howie Long RC, (2) Darrell Green RC
    1985 = Warren Moon RC, Richard Dent RC
    1986 = Jerry Rice RC, (2) Reggie White RC, Bruce Smith RC, Andre Reed RC, (2) Boomer Esiason RC, Bernie Kosar RC
    1988 = (3) Bo Jackson RC
    1989 = Barry Sanders RC, (3) Deion Sanders RC, Thurman Thomas RC, Rod Woodson RC, (2) Bruce Matthews RC
    1991 = (2) Brett Favre RC
  • Options
    Great thread - thanks for sharing
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Just catching up on this thread, very nice pulls! Those have been some great boxes.

The only thing I hate about this thread is the urge to rip it gives me! image
  • Options
    Lots of great stuff. Congrats on the Rice RC, that must've been quite a thrill! Lots of other good stuff too. Moon rookie sticker, Fridge RC and I like the card with Marcus and Bo.
  • Options
    What happens to the non star cards and ones that aren't gradeable?
  • Options

<< <i>What happens to the non star cards and ones that aren't gradeable? >>

I was planning to attempt to build a set from each year...the rest will be up for grabs.

Thanks to those who continue to follow and comment image
  • Options
    Another fun three rounds are in the books. First time RC appearances from LT and Aikman...capped by a second Marcus Allen RC and Jerry Rice RC image

Round #22...highly undervalued RC's of Allen and Aikman made an appearance.

Round #23...pretty boring round I must say...likely the worst so far. Unless of course you are a huge 1989 Score Andre Rison fan...and check out Lageman's mullet...SWEET!!

Round #24...one of my favorite rounds. First sighting of an LT rookie (too bad it was the gum card) and my favorite football RC of all time, Jerry Rice...gradeable too image

1982 = Lawrence Taylor RC, Ronnie Lott RC, Chris Collinsworth RC
    1983 = (2) Marcus Allen RC
    1984 = (2) Dan Marino RC, (2) John Elway RC, Eric Dickerson RC, Howie Long RC, (2) Darrell Green RC
    1986 = (2) Jerry Rice RC, (2) Reggie White RC, Bruce Smith RC, Andre Reed RC, (2) Boomer Esiason RC, Bernie Kosar RC
    1988 = (3) Bo Jackson RC
    1989 = Barry Sanders RC, Troy Aikman RC, (3) Deion Sanders RC, Thurman Thomas RC, Rod Woodson RC, (2) Bruce Matthews RC

• Options
    Thanks to those who continue to comment...this has been a lot of fun for me.

• Options
    This set of boxes really produced.

Nice work and congrats.

Still 1/3 to go.
  • Options
    You got a Jackie Slater RC in the 1984 as well... not a huge name, but the guy is a HOFer.

These boxes have been rather kind to you, Chris, you've pulled all the top rookies and collectively the condition/centering has been well above average for 80's quality control.

I look forward to the rest of the rounds!

Snorto~
  • Options

<< <i>These boxes have been rather kind to you, Chris, you've pulled all the top rookies >>

Well not ALL of them. There still hasn't been an 84 Tippett sighting! image
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    best chain ever...are you planning to wait and submit the best all at once? Can't wait to see what else you get and finally once you submit if you are fortunate enough to hit some 10's!!! That Rice looks real nice.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options

<< <i>best chain ever...are you planning to wait and submit the best all at once? Can't wait to see what else you get and finally once you submit if you are fortunate enough to hit some 10's!!! That Rice looks real nice. >>

Thanks Belz...yes, I will submit the best after I am done with the rip. Likely will be a few 10's among the commons and semi-stars. The best of the RC's right now all look to be more in the 9 MINT camp. Thanks for following the break!
  • Options
    Rounds 25-28 are complete and there was not too much excitement in these rounds. There was a 1984 Tippett sighting for Dan and another BO KNOWS RC image Hoping for a strong finish among the final 8 rounds of this rip...

Round #25 - Bo knows for the fourth time in this rip...

Round #26 - I have always liked the look of the 1981 Billy Sims RC...

Round #27 - The 1986 pack was pretty sweet with Bruce Smith RC, Montana and Marino all in one pack...

Round #28 - The RCs have completely dried up...but still 8 more rounds to go...hoping for a solid finish...

1983 = (2) Marcus Allen RC
    1986 = (2) Jerry Rice RC, (2) Reggie White RC, (2) Bruce Smith RC, Andre Reed RC, (2) Boomer Esiason RC, Bernie Kosar RC
    1988 = (4) Bo Jackson RC
    1989 = Barry Sanders RC, Troy Aikman RC, (3) Deion Sanders RC, Thurman Thomas RC, Rod Woodson RC, (2) Bruce Matthews RC
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    I missed a few rounds. Congrats on some nice hits. The Rice RC is my favorite FB card and is a great add anytime. I never ripped one so that must be a cool feeling. The Marcus Allen is underrated. Nice pack with the Montana in there too. That is a lot of Bo RCs for one box. You definitely got a winner in that box. Any that are gradeable?
    Steve
  • Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    Good to see this still going strong....even the so-so rounds are a blast - thanks for sharing!

I would think Dan would love this series too as there has now officially been a Tippet RC siting.
    flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    The Tippett RC is really sharp! At first glance doesn't seem to have any of the typical tilt. The Megatron rookie insert was nice too.
  • Options
    More top flight rookies continued to make appearances in these rounds. Nothing like ripping wax and finding iconic rookies...this continues to be a ton of fun.

ROUND 29 - Nice appearances from 1983 Montana, 1985 Marino, a first appearance of a 1987 Jim Kelly RC and a rock solid 1989 pack with Barry and Derrick!

ROUND 30 - First rookie sighting of that funky QB known as McMahon and finally hit a Steve Young RC!

ROUND 31 - Digging the look of the 1981 Dan Hampton RC and the Marino RC makes a 3rd appearance!! Ah the dreaded 2007 expired redemption card...

1983 = (2) Marcus Allen RC, Jim McMahon RC
    1984 = (3) Dan Marino RC, (2) John Elway RC, Eric Dickerson RC, Howie Long RC, (2) Darrell Green RC
    1986 = (2) Jerry Rice RC, Steve Young RC, (2) Reggie White RC, (2) Bruce Smith RC, Andre Reed RC, (2) Boomer Esiason RC, Bernie Kosar RC
    1987 = Jim Kelly RC, Randall Cunningham RC
    1988 = (4) Bo Jackson RC
    1989 = (2) Barry Sanders RC, Troy Aikman RC, (3) Deion Sanders RC, Derrick Thomas RC, Thurman Thomas RC, Rod Woodson RC, (2) Bruce Matthews RC
  • Options
    ...and the hits keep on comin'!!!

Nice boxes!!!
  • Options
    Derrick Thomas was such a beast!
  • Options
    Chris - out of curiosity... Do you rip in a pattern? Like front left column, then back left column. Or across the top rows. Or the always fun, dig and grab. I've noticed I have a tendency to rip columns, especially on modern, but I always decide my pattern before the first pack.
  • Options
    Hey Jim...I rip clockwise starting in the bottom right. Not sure why, but that has always been my approach. Pretty sure the sequencing on the 1970-1989 Topps played out in columns. It definitely does for Fleer.
  • Options
    ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm still mesmerized by the centering on these '81 packs!!!! Truly an amazing box to bust.

• Options
    So we are getting near the end of this rip...only two more rounds left...

ROUND 32 - This round was highlighted by a Ricky Watters RC...yep, that bad!

ROUND 33 - Umm...well, Deion made his 4th appearance...guess that is something.

ROUND 34 - Highlighted by a very nice LT rookie as well as Rod Woodson RC...solid round after the last two misses.

1982 = (2) Lawrence Taylor RC, Ronnie Lott RC, Chris Collinsworth RC
    1984 = (3) Dan Marino RC, (2) John Elway RC, Eric Dickerson RC, Howie Long RC, (2) Darrell Green RC
    1986 = (2) Jerry Rice RC, Steve Young RC, (2) Reggie White RC, (2) Bruce Smith RC, Andre Reed RC, (2) Boomer Esiason RC, Bernie Kosar RC
    1987 = Jim Kelly RC, Randall Cunningham RC
    1988 = (4) Bo Jackson RC
    1989 = (2) Barry Sanders RC, Troy Aikman RC, (4) Deion Sanders RC, Derrick Thomas RC, Tim Brown RC, Thurman Thomas RC, (2) Rod Woodson RC, (2) Bruce Matthews RC
  • Options
    This has been the BEST rip for a long time. Thanks for all the pictures.
  • Options
    Great thread. Hoping the last two rounds are filled with more centered eye-candy.

Great box of 84s with 3 Marino's and 2 Elways.

I'm interested in the Nolan Cromwell sticker for my set. image

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    You are f8cking killing this rip

for example, with 396 cards in the 84 set and 3 Marinos and 2 Elways and with only 540 cards you are waaaayyyyyy ahead
  • Options

<< <i>I'm interested in the Nolan Cromwell sticker for my set. image >>

PM coming.
  • Options
    Well the rip has finally concluded. It ended without much flare in the last two rounds, but this was one killer trip down memory lane. I was very lucky to pull multiple of all the major rookies and some were grade worthy. I will do a RC recap in my next post, but for now here are the results from the final two rounds...

ROUND 35 - Nice 1987 pack, but pretty quiet other than that.

ROUND 36 - Ended very quietly...nothing to get excited about in the final round.

And that was how the rip concluded. The only RC that did not make an appearance were Winslow, Munoz, Singletary and Cris Carter. I will give the shorten recap version in my next post for those that like to skip to the end. Thanks to all those who commented along the way...it made this rip even more fun for me. Might be time for some NBA action next image
  • Options
    This was one of the better threads here in a LONG time!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Thanks to all those who followed the break and posted comments. Here is the RC recap:

1982 = (2) Lawrence Taylor RC, Ronnie Lott RC, Chris Collinsworth RC
    1987 = (2) Jim Kelly RC, Randall Cunningham RC
    1988 = (4) Bo Jackson RC
    1989 = (2) Barry Sanders RC, Troy Aikman RC, (4) Deion Sanders RC, Derrick Thomas RC, Tim Brown RC, Thurman Thomas RC, (2) Rod Woodson RC, (3) Bruce Matthews RC

For those who just like to see the key hits from each year, I have taken these photos below. I will give you my take by year. You will notice I sent a couple of the early pulls off to be graded during the rip. PSA was tough on the Montana that graded a NM-MT 8, fair on the Barry as a MINT 9 and I was happy to land the Calvin in PSA 10. Here goes:

1981 Topps Box - Always a thrill to pull a Montana RC, let alone two. Really thought the first one was going to be MINT 9, but the print dot by his name must have held it to an 8. Still an amazing dead centered copy of this iconic RC!! The centering and condition of the cards in this box was outstanding and I have a handful of PSA 10 candidates I will be sending in.

1982 Topps Box - Love me some LT rookies and I pulled two. One is gradable and I will be sending it in during my next large submission. Overall the condition in this box was brutal with only two cards worthy of a PSA 10 chance.

1983 Topps Box - The Allen RC is highly underrated in my opinion and is a great looking card. The condition in this box was decent, but this year is a pretty boring rip compared to the others I opened.

1984 Topps Box - Holy rookies...and I hit a couple of each. Too bad none were grade worthy as all would be lower than PSA 9. If you are going to rip a football box from the 1980's, this year has to be among the top three to chose.

1985 Topps Box - My least favorite box from the rip simply because finding a PSA 10 in this year is IMPOSSIBLE!! The design is nice, but the black borders always have a slight imperfection coming out of the packs. Lots of MINT 9's, but I don't even bother submitting those so I am only sending in two cards to be graded. Love the Moon RC though...great looking card!

1986 Topps Box - Hands down my favorite year to rip. The rookie crop is sick and I love the Rice RC...best card from the 1980's in my opinion. It was a thrill to pull two Rice RC's, but much like the 1985's, this year is really tough to find GEM. Will be sending in one of the Rice RC's as it has a good shot at MINT 9.

1987 Topps Box - Nice looking set design, but not much star power in this year. The cards come out super clean and this is the first year where GEM 10's are seemingly plentiful. I do really like the Jim Kelly RC and think it has room to grow in value. Plus the Rice 2nd year card is sweet looking and he appears to be getting ready to throw a pass.

1988 Topps Box - This year is simply about the Bo RC and this box didn't disappoint. 3 of the 4 are gradable...sweet looking RC of a "what might have been" star.

1989 Score Box - Another outstanding box to break if you like RC's. For me the order of 1980's boxes to rip would be 1986, 1989, 1984 and 1981. This 1989 box is so loaded with HOF RC's that I could barely fit them all in the picture. I loved Barry Sanders as a kid and so it was great to pull a dead centered MINT 9 of his card.

1991 Stadium Club Box - Nothing to hunt for in this year other than the Brett Favre (Farve) RC. Got lucky and pulled two that are screaming PSA 9/10.

2007 Playoff Contenders Box - Man...got crazy lucky and pulled the best card possible...Calvin RC was not only a sweet pull, but it graded PSA 10. Love this card!!!! Turned out to be my best hit of the entire break.

So to wrap it up, this was a really fun trip down memory lane for me. It was never about making money on the break, because let's face it I clearly lost money despite lots of hits. The thrill was pulling the RC's that I always wished I had pulled as a kid. The break was a great reminder of just how tough it is to pull PSA 9/10's of the top football stars of the 1980's. Quality control was all over the place. If given the chance, I would do this rip all over again as it was a priceless reminder of simpler times when my worries were how many packs I could get with my $5 allowance. Here's to all those who keep collecting wax as well as the crazy few like me who love to rip from time to time.

Send me a PM if there is anything you are looking for and thanks to all those who followed.

• Options
    Sick sick boxes. Great production overall.

Congrats!

That Calvin is a nice score.

Thanks for sharing and making it last. This has been a blast to follow since kickoff weekend.

I'm looking for Roger Craig doubles.

Jim
  • Options
    Great thread. Enjoyed each post. The Montana 8 may be worth a resub with some of your others. I'll send you a PM regarding a few others.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Followed this every step of the way. Totally epic.

Sweet hit on the Mega!
  • Options
    What a great thread! Sorry to see it end.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the scans. Really enjoyed it.
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    One of my favorite ripping threads ever... thanks for sharing. And good job on some nice hits... I'd resub that Montana if I were you (or you could sell it to me!).