Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Roberto Clemente 1967 Topps Autograph Opinions? *UPDATE*

I won the lot below a few days ago and it arrived today. Do we have any Clemente Autograph experts out there? Opinions? Feel free to chime in on the others as well. I appreciate any insight.

Thanks
Craig

Auction Link

Comments

• Options
    It must be authentic. It's in a screw down with a hand written sticker that says so.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    It's very light and hard to tell. It looks consistent with Clemente autographs, but for something like that, you ought to get it checked out.

FWIW, I'd say it is more likely to be good than not. Just my $0.02
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    The other autographs in the lot look good so that's a step in the right direction

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    FWIW, even if it is a legit auto, it's not a nice one and is barely legible. If you are looking for a Clemente auto, you'd probably be better off spending a little bit more for something that is more "show worthy." JMO.
    I'm building a 1968 and a 1970 Topps set. I have lots of 1970s and 1960s to offer in trade.
  • Options
    Loyalty32Loyalty32 Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    I appreciate the responses folks.

Thanks
    Craig
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

<< <i>FWIW, even if it is a legit auto, it's not a nice one and is barely legible. If you are looking for a Clemente auto, you'd probably be better off spending a little bit more for something that is more "show worthy." JMO. >>

i agree. just send it to me. pm for address
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>FWIW, even if it is a legit auto, it's not a nice one and is barely legible. If you are looking for a Clemente auto, you'd probably be better off spending a little bit more for something that is more "show worthy." JMO. >>

i agree. just send it to me. pm for address >>

lol...damn you beat me to it
  • Options
    Sorry guys, if it's legit, I'm more than happy with my faded $7.62 Clemente Autograph!

Thanks
    Craig
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    That looks to be a GREAT buy. What do Clemente auto'd cards go for slabbed?

www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    I've never really researched his autograph. I didn't think I would ever own one. I just did a quick look and I found this...

Auction Link

It's an older card with a much bolder signature than the card I have though. Even his cuts seem to sell well.

Thanks
    Craig
  • Options
    Mr. Clemente was shipped off to PSA/DNA on 12/19. It was signed for on 12/22 and logged on 12/24. Fingers crossed!

Thanks
    Craig
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mr. Clemente was shipped off to PSA/DNA on 12/19. It was signed for on 12/22 and logged on 12/24. Fingers crossed!

Thanks
    Craig >>

Good luck......you really have nothing to lose here. Merry Christmas!
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Craig ... I could never have waited that long to send it in! LOL

Best of luck. Please let us know when you get it back.

Fingers crossed!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardking - Agreed. I still can't believe I was able to get the lot for that price.

Dboneesq - It was hard! I was actually waiting for raiderguy10 to do another group sub hoping to save a few bucks. ($150.00 fee) Once I found out the Clemente wouldn't qualify for the sub discount, I decided to just send it on in.

Merry Christmas!

Thanks
    Craig
  • Options
    Looks too messy to me, but I would have taken the risk. FWIW it's probably a $1500 card slabbed, that would be a nice little hit!

Good luck with the sub
  • Options
    RipublicaninMass - Thanks!

Craig
  • Options
    send us scans when it comes back in a slab!
  • Options
    Not what I was hoping for at all. Disappointed about this one. I would've loved to have owned a card signed by Mr. Clemente!

83742693 1967 Topps 400 Bob Clemente Roberto Clemente Questionable Authenticity

Thanks
    Craig
  • Options
    At least you got fast results .. ? Sorry. image
  • Options
    Aw bummer. Sorry to hear.
  • Options
    charrigan - I have to say that although I'm 0-2 submitting to PSA/DNA, they are fast. Both were finished in a week.

Bryan - Agreed. Thank you.

Thanks
    Craig
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>charrigan - I have to say that although I'm 0-2 submitting to PSA/DNA, they are fast. Both were finished in a week.

Bryan - Agreed. Thank you.

Thanks
    Craig >>

what other autograph did you submit?

sorry about this

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Ironmanfan - Thanks. It was a Michael Jordan Autographed Baseball.

Thanks
    Craig
  • Options
    Craig - sorry to hear that!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Dboneesq - Thanks. I appreciate it.

I'm curious. What do you folks do with an item that doesn't pass the authentication process. I don't feel like I can toss it...

Thanks
    Craig
  • Options
    Hold on to it Craig! It's still a '67 Clemente!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    I would perhaps sub to another company for a 2nd opinion. If it fails again, toss it to remove a fake from the market.
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    i'd keep it - just because psa won't put it in a holder doesn't mean it's not real

it's a clemente autograph - if they aren't 100% certain they'll just say no, especially with someone who only submits a few cards a year - you really never had a chance with this one

put this thing in the hands of the guys who send in hundreds or thousands and i wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being a different answer

of course, even then that doesn't guarantee it's REAL - it's ONLY AN OPINION FOLKS, maybe an educated experienced one, but still just an opinion
  • Options
    Dboneesq - True.

charrigan - I don't know if I want to drop another $150+ right now. Maybe down the road.

bounce - Some interesting points there. I appreciate it.

Thanks
    Craig