Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin deal savvy

AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
While I am not known to have the most inexpensive coins on the market, I really am not a dealer set-up to be in that market. I try to stock mostly PCGS and CAC certified coins. While people are free to make offers on anything I have, I always chuckle when someones first contact with me (someone I have never done business with before) is "What's your best price?" and that is almost always followed up with "for cash, or a quick sale." And then sometimes they add an education on how I clearly do not know how to read a price guide. My polite response is always, "with all due respect you are asking me to bid against myself, and that is not something I do. If there is a price you are hoping to get the coin for please let me know and we can go from there." The part that makes me chuckle, is that telling me you are willing to pay me in money, and quickly, is the expectation and not some kind of bargaining chip that I am going to get giddy over. These folks think they are being shrewd business people but more times than not all it does is let me know I am dealing with an amateur, and so I am even less inclined to do anything beyond restating my original price.

If someone has a coin you would like purchase and you think the price is too high, then step-up and tell them what you would like to pay for the coin. If they can make it work they will. No need to embellish it with things like "cash" or "quick sale." All I can say is no, but you should never try to educate a dealer in your first contact with them, or ask them their "best price," without at least offering them what you would like to pay. You risk not being taken seriously. That's fine if you are not really interested in THAT coin, but really not a great way to start a transaction.

Fire away......

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"

Comments

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In one of the shops I owned, I was offered a lowball offer from a regular who always tried to lowball me. I always tried to be nice, but one day he caught me in the wrong mood and I replied: "I would rather eat that coin without salt or pepper than to sell it to you at any price!" His lowball offers stopped that day and he became a quality customer.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not everyone walking up to my table at a show to buy is savvy on coin pricing or comfy with haggling. A dealer should be able to quote his best price quickly. Buyers like someone decisive in quoting a price not some buy who is going to hem and haw around. A case in point was a regular customer who was a good buyer at every show for classic commems. He would walk up and very nicely ask "what is your best price." I would give him a price somewhere between cost and retail and he would buy the coin. It is in my best interests to know what other dealers at the show are selling that material at so I research if possible by walking the bourse before the public comes in.

My best price on coin is may vary depending on current market conditions. I don't put prices on the front and generally just have a cost code on the back with my excel printout handy which has individual columns for CU, CW, KRS, and CDN x a markup factor. The highest price is in the Market Value Column.

If I don't like a price quoted to me on the bourse I simply lay my cash money on the table and make my best offer. It could be CDN Bid plus $5-20 depending on how expensive the coin is. If its a walkup customer selling coins I make an offer based on a percentage of what I think I can sell the coin for to make an instant profit.

As far as what they think about the price I could care less. I have certain ROI goals to achieve for my business. I have told some of them trying to "educate" me simply "I don't care what you think about it" or "perhaps you should shop around." I have found when their BS starts, its time for them to leave my table.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AMRC

This is obviously a sensitive issue. I have angered dealers in the past and I likely will in the future. I understand your feelings in connection with a collector asking for a "Best Price" but let me put it in a different perspective. I ask for the best price with coins that I will likely buy. I do not make an offer first with this approach and here is why: The purpose is to streamline any negotiation-I take the dealer at his word that number is the number and then I say yes or no- I will not counter if it is a number I can't live with. This approach often circumvents some of the nonsense you see in the back and forth bargaining that can make buying coins unpleasant. I do not always use this strategy, but it seems to be productive and less stressful than some of the buying/selling pitches.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I ask a dealer what their best price is all the time... I don't like negotiating and going through all that BS for 2-3-4-5 minutes haggling over a coin. Just cut me a price and let's skip the BS. I'll either accept or walk away... I don't counter best prices. >>

I could've written this myself. I do the same thing.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I ask a dealer what their best price is all the time... I don't like negotiating and going through all that BS for 2-3-4-5 minutes haggling over a coin. Just cut me a price and let's skip the BS. I'll either accept or walk away... I don't counter best prices. >>

I could've written this myself. I do the same thing. >>

Me too!

Occassionally, if the seller's price is still way too high, I'll reply, "I'm a buyer at $XXX", but that's the extent of my negotiating (or 'horsetrading' as I call it).
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    I guess I should add....

I did mention that these are people I have not done business with before. Return customers are a different story.

I really price my coins where I think I need to sell them at, I really cannot discount my coins very much anyway. What cracks me up are offers that are less than 85% of my asking. Please do not waste my time.
  • Options
    A dealer sets a price.
    I can pay the price he is asking and get the coin.
    I can decide not to pay the price and just walk away.
    I can attempt to negotiate a better price that may work for the both of us.
    I often wonder what most dealers would prefer in this situation.
    If the price is higher than I want to pay, I usually just walkaway.
    I figure that it is the dealers responsibility to properly market their coin, and there are many to choose from.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a good way to do things. Cuts the carp and lets the deal happen or not happen.

When I was working I did have the occasional jerk who would ask for the best price, get it, and automatically counter lower. At that point I would put the coin back in the case and go about my business.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    How is a dealer "giving his best price" supposed to negotiate with anyone if he always "gives his best price". I never understood the people that start with the "give me your best price" line. It is like saying everyone else is a schmuck and has to deal but I am special, I am wonderful, I, and only I should get the privilege of going directly to your "best price". Why? I guess because, "I am serious!". Or, "I have cash!" (BFD)! Get a life.
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options

<< <i>How is a dealer "giving his best price" supposed to negotiate with anyone if he always "gives his best price". I never understood the people that start with the "give me your best price" line. It is like saying everyone else is a schmuck and has to deal but I am special, I am wonderful, I, and only I should get the privilege of going directly to your "best price". Why? I guess because, "I am serious!". Or, "I have cash!" (BFD)! Get a life. >>

So much better said.....
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    when buying a coin I research the coin first, seeing how many were made, what the coin is made of , number minted and the auction prices for such coins, then based off that I figure a price

then make the offer

• Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    I am a common man collector not among the elitist group and you can bet I will ask a dealer what his best price is and you can bet I almost always walk away with the coin if it makes sense.
    I am respectable and polite of the dealer and other customers always. I never make insulting offers. I do ask they best price though.

Too many coins to buy and one does not need a dealer , a dealer some at least think they need customers and will work with them.

Yah , cash price right now matters as opposed to credit card or check or bank transfer or pay pal or come back latter pricing.

Its up to a dealer to develop a customer , some don't care and wont budge though they are a small amount of the dealers.

The market will sort out the arrogant dealers and those not willing to develop there customer base.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate the haggle game. Those that make me offers on the BST (when I don't ask for offers) when I sell a coin from my collection should know this by now, but they still try. Although I am polite with my NO to them. image I know dealers get upset when they say they give their best price and a collector counters and I think it's perfectly understandable.

I can't count the times I've given my best price to dealers and they still low-ball my price. AND, they sure ain't nice and polite about it. So it goes both ways. Too bad this board has become us against them, or them against us. I truly believe if you are tired of what you're doing, or flat out hate the public/customers best to get into something else. Life isn't worth all the aggravation. Just my worthless opinion.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "What's your best price?" is a great and honest question.
    As a collector I've made countless purchases that way.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"What's your best price?" is a great and honest question.
    As a collector I've made countless purchases that way. >>

Agreed.
    If every dealer everywhere always net priced their inventory, we wouldn't have to 'play games'.
    But every dealer is different.
    Some are always firm on their pricing. Some offer 'show discounts'. Some drop the price by 10% or so when asked.
    I know several guys who put outrageous prices on their coins, drop the price significantly when asked, and if you
    still pass, ask what you'd like to pay, and sometimes we can work a deal. I know some dealers that, when you ask
    for a best price, come back with 'is this gonna be for cash? If so, I can make you a better deal'.

So, excuse us - perhaps we do things based on our myriads of previous dealings with lots of other dealers.

If you don't like negotiating, etc maybe you should state it up front on your webpage or table that everything is already net priced.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Just wanted to add I understand the OP mention of a first transaction and people asking for a best price. Heck, on the BST when I've sold a coin from my collection I have dealers and collectors write me when I'm not asking for offers. They don't say hi, hello, hey jerk nothing they just say I'll pay you this amount. So that ticks me off to begin with and there is no offer I will accept from those type. If I'm having a fire sale I'll just go to the local dealer.
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"What's your best price?" is a great and honest question.
    As a collector I've made countless purchases that way. >>

Absolutely!! I usually ask if there is any room in the price, or give them a number I'm comfortable with. Or both.

For example, last weekend @ CowTown show, I saw an OK SL... marked 70, raw, so depending on how it actually grades either 50 or 70 is fair, so I asked "is there any room there, I was thinking to spend more like $50". Dealer replied that he couldn't do that, he was into it for more than 50, but he could do 65...

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole problem with the game at coin shows is that every dealer/buyer has their own "rules", and the starting point is usually a "lie" to begin with! (i.e., those few things that are marked with prices will almost automatically be discounted without debate).

I would LOVE it if all coins were labeled with a price, and that price was the REAL price. Like shopping at Wal-Mart! Nobody takes their package of toilet paper to the checkout line, and offers 10% less! For me, that would be perfect. I would either pay, or walk, no problems.....

But, I'm not so clueless that I don't understand that there are plenty of reasons that things aren't done that way. Some love the game. The game is so ingrained, that a discount is expected. Some return customers have earned better prices. Some *$#%'s probably deserve to get quoted high prices, just to make a point. image

For me, and what I buy, the difference between high and low retail is probably $10's of dollars, as opposed to $100's or $1000's....so frankly, I'm not going to bargain. I just don't care to.

I ask, "What do you need for this?" Not a best price, not a starting point, not a sweetheart deal. I ask for a price. Then I either buy, or say no thank you. (To be honest, the fact of the matter is that if I cared enough to ask, I've probably decided to buy it anyway, and only an obscene price will drive me away.)

Have I left money on the table, or walked from coins I could have gotten "my" price for? Probably. But I don't care. My game, my rules. image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Some people like to deal back and forth. I was selling some ancients one time to a famous dealer and we went back and forth on a few coins. I had never done that before, but I must admit it was fun. We both enjoyed it I think. I didn't get what I wanted on all the coins but on several I did better than the initial offer.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Haggling is fine but I do not spend much time with it. The one thing that totally turns me off is a low offer to buy and then a offer that is 500 dollars higher 30 seconds later. I do not do that and will walk every time no matter how good the last offer is. When I am buying I get it done, I do not kick tires.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think my funniest tale along these lines was in my early days. I had a customer...no mater how cheap I priced a coin would lowball me a little further. If I didn't budge he would walk. I had a coin I actually bought at a good price. I offered him a steal...well under greysheet. He hammered me on the price...I said it's gone if you don't buy it...he smirked at me and said I offered what I am willing to pay. I tossed the coin to a dealer on the other side of the isle and asked would you pay me x dollars for this? Damn right...he bought it! That ended that! image That was back in the good ole days when greysheet meant something!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a button that talks when pushed which states the phrase written on it.

I've carried this with me to shows in my briefcase for years and have whipped it out when both buying and selling.

imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭
    In my experience, asking "What is your best price?" is the preferred route of the majority of booth holders and attendees at the major shows, both in dealer to dealer and collector to dealer transactions. It eliminates the BS, cuts to the chase and saves all involved a lot of time, and it works very well for me both buying and selling.
  • Options
    Everyone is welcome to do whatever they do. I certainly do not let this stuff make me angry. Just not a good way, if you care (and clearly some do not) to get a good relationship going with a dealer you have never done business with before. But it really does not matter, I price at where I think I can sell them. I never say to myself, let me start high and then adjust to reality. That makes no sense! But as so well pointed out, I get why people can become jaded that way.
  • Options

<< <i>In my experience, asking "What is your best price?" is the preferred route of the majority of booth holders and attendees at the major shows, both in dealer to dealer and collector to dealer transactions. It eliminates the BS, cuts to the chase and saves all involved a lot of time, and it works very well for me both buying and selling. >>

Then why not just start there if you want to cut the BS? Right?

Edited for spelling..image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>In my experience, asking "What is your best price?" is the preferred route of the majority of booth holders and attendees at the major shows, both in dealer to dealer and collector to dealer transactions. It eliminates the BS, cuts to the chase and saves all involved a lot of time, and it works very well for me both buying and selling. >>

Then why not just start there if you want to cut the BS? Right?

Edited for spelling..image >>

Some customers want to trade other coins in, some want to do lay-a-way, some want to pay by credit card, etc. My best price is quoted for a "clean" deal - cash or equivalent, immediate payment, no trade ins, to a customer that (if paying by check) I either know well or who has excellent references.

This isn't very complicated, nor is it new news, and it is how most of the major dealers operate. But not all, and if you prefer to do it differently, or have found some other way that works better for you, have at it.
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel that when I ask "what's your best price?" (and I do ask this...) I am kind of saying: "I want that coin, I think it is priced fairly, but I'd like a little discount for offering an immediate purchase"

I did not think that a dealer would take offense to this. More often than not, this leads to a successful transaction that leaves both parties happy.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a pet peeve more than anything else - when on the bourse, it's hard to read the minds of 400 dealers and guess how they want to be approached.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

<< <i>

Some customers want to trade other coins in, some want to do lay-a-way, some want to pay by credit card, etc. My best price is quoted for a "clean" deal - cash or equivalent, immediate payment, no trade ins, to a customer that (if paying by check) I either know well or who has excellent references.

This isn't very complicated, nor is it new news, and it is how most of the major dealers operate. But not all, and if you prefer to do it differently, or have found some other way that works better for you, have at it. >>

John:

You are a fair an upstanding guy. I sold you a 1815/17 half dollar some years ago and you paid strong money for it because, and I quote "I just love the look of this coin." You did not try and school me or low-ball me. The whole point of my thread, is that I get these notes from these guys on eBay that I do not know and they see a "make an offer button" and yet they send me a note asking what is my best price, when they just had an offer get automatically declined that was $200 on a $375 coin, and then give me an education on how to price coins. I do not have anything new or better, I just crack up at how these guys think this is "savvy."

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there's a difference depending on whether coins have marked prices or not.

Some of you it seems are asking "what's your best price" when there are already prices marked on the coins... seems like in those cases you're asking the dealer to negotiate against himself or herself instead of you counteroffering the price already being communicated to you.

When there are no prices on the coins, then asking "what's your best price" seems more fair to me as you're just requesting the price from the dealer and are telling him or her to provide one number and that you're not interested in negotiating.

I usually don't mark prices on my coins when I do shows. So when folks ask me my prices, I give the number on my price list and if they come back and counteroffer that is fine with me and on many coins I do have a little room to negotiate. But when customers ask me "what's your best price," then I take a little more time in looking at my price list vs. other sales I've tracked vs. my cost, etc. and then give them a number that I do not expect to be negotiated. Seems to work for most.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least now I know that AMRC puts his "best price" on his coins so I know not to embarrass myself by asking that question of him if I ever run across him at a show. In general, I don't see any harm in asking a seller "is this your best price" because I assume that most sellers are pricing their coins optimistically (by that I mean maybe 10-15% over what they can actually live with) and allow a little wiggle room for various situations as CRO put it very nicely. And, I can understand how the lowballers and chiselers are very aggravating. They make it rather difficult for us more reasonable buyers when we request a little trim on the asking price.

Thanks for starting an interesting thread, AMRC!
  • Options
    PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭
    Illini420 beat me to a distinction that I think is important as a buyer. The difference between a coin that is marked and one that is unmarked.
    Although it is getting better now that silver and gold are not going crazy, dealers in my area rarely marked prices on their coins. It's frustrating
    since you don't know what a dealer is thinking. I'll saying something like, "what is your [best] price" or "what do you need for this coin" just to see
    if the dealers price is anywhere in my ballpark. I know it's not always possible, for me, I'm more likely to buy a coin that is priced. It also saves us
    both a lot of time, which can be huge if a show is busy.
    EAC, ANA Member
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

Here's a non-coin example: I had a car salesman FOLLOW me to another dealership (owned by same family) after I walked out on his "best price".
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AMRC:

I just checked your website and you have an 1860 H10--what's your best price? image

More seriously, last week on Wednesday evening I emailed a dealer with whom I have never done business asking him his best price for a coin if I 1) paid using a credit card or 2) paid by sending him a check. I explicitly acknowledged the fact that if I sent him a check, I expected him to hold the coin for a while to make sure the check clears. My goal was to give him the option to save on a credit-card fee (or Paypal fee) and give me a little of the saving. Also, it was my experience dealing with Bowers and Merena and with Whitlow "back in the day" that they were almost always willing to drop the price a bit. As it happened, a local collector had made a deal on the coin the very afternoon I asked, so I lost the coin. But the dealer and I emailed a few times. He seems like a good guy and I hope to do business with him at a point in the future. Of course, I also am a good guy, so that helps! image But if he emailed me a terse reply that basically told me to stick it because I had asked him his best price, I'd simply cross that dealer off my list.
    Mark

• Options

<< <i>The whole point of my thread, is that I get these notes from these guys on eBay that I do not know and they see a "make an offer button" and yet they send me a note asking what is my best price, when they just had an offer get automatically declined that was $200 on a $375 coin, and then give me an education on how to price coins. I do not have anything new or better, I just crack up at how these guys think this is "savvy." >>

I don't recall seeing all this in the OP. You're now talking about ebay. I thought you were talking about the real coin dealer world. image
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Everyone is welcome to do whatever they do. I certainly do not let this stuff make me angry. Just not a good way, if you care (and clearly some do not) to get a good relationship going with a dealer you have never done business with before. But it really does not matter, I price at where I think I can sell them. I never say to myself, let me start high and then adjust to reality. That makes no sense! But as so well pointed out, I get why people can become jaded that way. >>

Oh, you're angry all right. Or at least clearly frustrated. Certainly it does not "make you chuckle." image
    If you've ever come down in price after your initial quote, then you absolutely have "started high and adjusted to reality." The buyer is merely signaling that you adjust to reality a little quicker. There may be other messages implicit with the annoying best-price request.
    -- He may dislike negotiating. He wants a quote he can say yes or no to, immediately. Many quotes come with a story--how nice the coin is for the grade, how well the issue is trending, etc. He may be saying he doesn't want to hear any of that stuff. He just wants your best price.
    -- The buyer is seeking to discover if there is an urgency on your end. Maybe you're tired of having it in your case. Maybe it's been consigned and the consignor is getting restless. Maybe you're in an expansive mood--whatever. The best-price ask is one way--albeit an awkward, clumsy way--of unveiling how motivated you are.
    -- The primary goal may not be a "relationship." He may just want to buy the coin. He may not be interested in setting the table for future transactions
    -- The buyer is perhaps looking for a price that may come with terms--your terms. Cash instead of check or credit card, maybe. Or that the price is a one-day offer because you're off to a show.
    -- The buyer is most likely fearful, insecure and out of his depth in buying scenarios. He's trying to take control of the process. Let him--or at least let him think he's controlling it.
    There are a lot of negative connotations with a "best-price" demand that, frankly, would get on my nerves if I were a seller. The tendency is to see them all. But patience in seeing what's fueling the prospective buyer's behavior would seem useful for people in your spot.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I was at a show 2 weeks ago, I stopped and looked at something and made short chit chat with the dealer. I said thanks and was handing the item back. He said he had not sold anything all day and a fair offer would be taken into consideration. The listed price was a touch high, but I knew from the tone he wanted a sale so I already had a number that I felt it was worth and lowered it another 50 bucks and he said sold to fast. lol. I have done this long enough to have a good idea what will work and what will not. The item was 575 and my offer was 450 and he probably had 380 to 410 in it. I could had most likely got it for 400 but I see him fairly regular and the 50 was not going to kill me and I may need something in the future I need more help on.

Sometimes I think it helps if you play on both sides of the table from time to time. ( set up as a dealer)

I always get a chuckle when dealers make offers when I am set up and they want to school me on my stuff. They need a bigger cut cause they have to resell it. I thought that was why I was there set up??? They want your best material for cents on the dollar, but do not return the favor when you are at their table.

I have a bad habit of pricing material how the person offering makes the offer. While I generally set up to sale I am not going to take rude abuse from some so called know it alls.

If I had seen this exact same item on a dealers table and it was priced at 625 or 650 I generally just keep walking as I feel I can not get the price I want or the dealer does not know the market IMO, others may see it different.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm honestly sort of amused that a few folks get offended if asked for their best price. And it has been argued that it is particularly offensive when the dealer and potential buyer are unknown. That does not seem unreasonable. Some dealers rarely go below asking price, others commonly take off 5%. So trying to get a feel for the dealer and their pricing seems normal. Certainly if the customer is rude, continue to try to haggle, etc. then that is a different scenario. I'm not sure what is so difficult about just responding, "Sorry, best prices are as marked".

I'm not a dealer, but do deal with customers and customer support in other areas, and I think if I were a dealer this would be about #538 on my list of annoyances of dealing with coin buyers.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The whole point of my thread, is that I get these notes from these guys on eBay that I do not know and they see a "make an offer button" and yet they send me a note asking what is my best price, when they just had an offer get automatically declined that was $200 on a $375 coin, and then give me an education on how to price coins. I do not have anything new or better, I just crack up at how these guys think this is "savvy." >>

I don't recall seeing all this in the OP. You're now talking about ebay. I thought you were talking about the real coin dealer world. image >>

Me neither but you need to take eBay with a grain of salt as there are some real looney folks surfing that site.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With most dealers, when I am attending a major show, their "best price" is anywhere from 4-8% off the price marked on the coin. I do not buy anything online.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that dealers that do not mark prices on their coins may lose a lot of business..First of all, I cannot tell if you are even in the ballpark if you don't put prices on them. Just suppose that I ask for a price on one coin and I think it is moon money. You lost me as a customer right there, even if the rest of your coins are all priced below greysheet. I do not want to waste my time asking for any more prices because I now think that you way overprice all your coins. Most of the times I just pass by the dealers with unpriced coins now.

I tried to buy a coin once after I heard a dealer quote someone else a price. The dealer quoted me a higher price, (I guess he did not know that i heard what he offered it to the other customer for) so, I offered him the amount that he would have sold it to the other potential customer for and he said that he could not sell it for that amount. He said that the other person was a good customer. SO WHAT?? I could have become a "good customer" also. Needless to say, I never talked to that dealer again.

There are many variables.
  • Options
    Yacorie1Yacorie1 Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think that dealers that do not mark prices on their coins may lose a lot of business..First of all, I cannot tell if you are even in the ballpark if you don't put prices on them. Just suppose that I ask for a price on one coin and I think it is moon money. You lost me as a customer right there, even if the rest of your coins are all priced below greysheet. I do not want to waste my time asking for any more prices because I now think that you way overprice all your coins. Most of the times I just pass by the dealers with unpriced coins now.

I tried to buy a coin once after I heard a dealer quote someone else a price. The dealer quoted me a higher price, (I guess he did not know that i heard what he offered it to the other customer for) so, I offered him the amount that he would have sold it to the other potential customer for and he said that he could not sell it for that amount. He said that the other person was a good customer. SO WHAT?? I could have become a "good customer" also. Needless to say, I never talked to that dealer again.

There are many variables. >>

I agree with this completely - at least have something marked. Compared to most on this forum - I dabble - although I do buy quite a bit. Nothing is more annoying to me, and I'm sure the dealer for me to ask for prices on 10 different coins - a few of which I may be clueless about but I like and have no clue if its something I can afford.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>While I am not known to have the most inexpensive coins on the market, I really am not a dealer set-up to be in that market. I try to stock mostly PCGS and CAC certified coins. While people are free to make offers on anything I have, I always chuckle when someones first contact with me (someone I have never done business with before) is "What's your best price?" and that is almost always followed up with "for cash, or a quick sale." And then sometimes they add an education on how I clearly do not know how to read a price guide. My polite response is always, "with all due respect you are asking me to bid against myself, and that is not something I do. If there is a price you are hoping to get the coin for please let me know and we can go from there." The part that makes me chuckle, is that telling me you are willing to pay me in money, and quickly, is the expectation and not some kind of bargaining chip that I am going to get giddy over. These folks think they are being shrewd business people but more times than not all it does is let me know I am dealing with an amateur, and so I am even less inclined to do anything beyond restating my original price.

If someone has a coin you would like purchase and you think the price is too high, then step-up and tell them what you would like to pay for the coin. If they can make it work they will. No need to embellish it with things like "cash" or "quick sale." All I can say is no, but you should never try to educate a dealer in your first contact with them, or ask them their "best price," without at least offering them what you would like to pay. You risk not being taken seriously. That's fine if you are not really interested in THAT coin, but really not a great way to start a transaction.

Fire away...... >>

I think that is good advice.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

Years ago my father told me a story about these guys that used to sell over the counter penny stocks.
    He said that when a potential customer walked in, the salesmen would look down at the customers shoes to see how nice they were.
    They would always quote the guy with the nicer shoes a higher purchase price.
    I can't help but remember that story with a chuckle whenever I see something for sale that does not have a clear price marked on it.
    Unmarked prices on sales items trigger me to just move on.
    I always do.

• Options

<< <i>Years ago my father told me a story about these guys that used to sell over the counter penny stocks.
    He said that when a potential customer walked in, the salesmen would look down at the customers shoes to see how nice they were.
    I can't help but remember that story with a chuckle whenever I see something for sale that does not have a clear price marked on it.
    I always do. >>

Alternative solution: Wear really crappy shoes.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Years ago my father told me a story about these guys that used to sell over the counter penny stocks.
    I always do. >>

Alternative solution: Wear really crappy shoes. >>

Ever wear crappy shoes and try to walk for hours at a coin show?
    If I do that, how I'm gonna walk away, much less if I gotta run?
    lol
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a coin does not have a price and it is a coin I like, I always will talk to the dealer for an asking price, not to be confused with best price. I do not keep walking as asking and at least getting a number tells something about the dealer, the coin and whether there is a buying opportunity.

One of my basic rules at a coin show is simply that you don't know unless you ask... it is part of the investigative search. Further, it helps build a point of reference should a similar coin surface in the future.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Every coin* I have purchased online, I have asked "what's your best price?" If I'm paying cash, I have gotten a discount EVERY time (sometimes up to 4 figures), even if I am a new customer (although I have done business with most of the major dealers and have available references if needed). The discount seems to be bigger if I buy multiple coins. If I ask for layaway, there is no discount (which is completely reasonable and understandable). When given a best price, I never counteroffer. I take it or leave it (usually I take it).

*one caveat is for "early bird" or "special newsletter" type offerings that haven't even made it to the website yet. I would feel like an ass asking for discounts on those coins.

• Options
    I guess people just have their own particular methods.
    When I look at price posted dealer stock, I am looking at grades and prices at the same time.
    It gives me an indication of where the dealer and his coins are coming from.
    I can puruse through his items by grade/price and quickly ferret out the better and more interesting coins.
    It saves me time over having to try to look at many unpriced coins to get my bearings of their stock.
    I do not go to shows to negotiate over coins.
    I go to find some good deals on some fully struck correctly priced stock.
    I would rather spend my time looking at more coins than haggling price over them.
    And, if a guy sets out a coin on a table at a show and there is no price on it, then what is the point?
    Is the coin for show or is the coin for tell?
    Is it even for sale?
    That kinda makes it seem like the seller is in control of the sale right from the get go and as a buyer, you may not qualify.
    As a buyer, I see no reason to yield that point to sellers.
    The simple fact is that if prices are not posted sellers will lose some potential buyers.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file