Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

scans v. images

morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
I should have known better but took a shot, thinking it was gonna possess ultra deep mirrors with chalky white, ultra frosty devices.
You receive what you pay for and was shocked when I won it, guess the other bidders saw something I didn't.
Not unhappy, just thought I would share how a scan exaggerates the mirrors and contrast of a Morgan.
This piece is right at the edge of PL and DMPL, but all the chatter limits it to a 62, maybe a 63, doubtful.

Listing scans
imageimage

My images
imageimage
World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't surprise me if they used a diffused light trick to make the mirrors look like that.

That is one heck of a difference.

Do you think your images portray the mirrors right?

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those pictures almost (although obviously the same coin) portray two different coins... radical difference in the pictures. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    lowering the angle of the lights will commonly make the mirrors darker with less luster, but you will tend to lose a little frost.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    <<Do you think your images portray the mirrors right?>>

To the best of my ability, like I said there almost at that watery look of a DMPL, but not B&W at all.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the scan/photo was doctored. Look at the scrapes and chatter in the field in front of Liberty's eye and forehead.... there is a lot of that on the actual coin, but does not show up in the sellers photo/scan. Instead, there are some 'circular' darker areas... looks touched up to me. IMO not at described or pictured, and you should be able to send back based on such. Who is the seller??
    ----- kj
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭
    My guess - the seller probably altered the pictures to attract more bids. Unfortunately, this is all too common on eBay.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this from the seller that offers multiple "DMPL" coins every week?
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    <<Is this from the seller that offers multiple "DMPL" coins every week? >>

I didn't want to out the seller, I bid on it and won it. Yes, everything this sellers offers is ultra cameo with black mirrors.
    I have no one to blame but myself, just wanted to warn others that a scan can be deceiving, if it's even a scan, assuming it is and modified.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    got a scanner? post scans of it.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭
    I would have been sorely tempted to send that back...it does seem as if the pictures do not represent the coin
    you received.
    EAC, ANA Member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file