Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The coin flip

Next week starts the run to the Super Bowl. The referees will have the traditional coin flip (see this thread is "coin related") at the beginning of the game as usual. Which two teams

will be facing off in the Super Bowl? ... and will you be betting any "coin" on it?

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not follow ball sports..... too many other really interesting things to do with my time. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always wondered where the coin-flip coins end up, most likely buried in some nfl executives desk. Some day I would like to score one of those, preferably one with a Bears, Titans or Steeler logo.

As far as prediction, I think the two logos featured during the Super Bowl will be NE and I hate to say it...SEA.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be sure the flip is PCV free.image
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>coin-flip coins >>

I believe the proper numismatic term is "toss coin" image
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not follow ball sports

hey RickO, without a ball is it even a sport?? image
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I do not follow ball sports

hey RickO, without a ball is it even a sport?? image >>

Now HOCKEY....THERE'S a SPORT! And it doesn't require..., well, you get the point!

edited to add....ah, nothing....this isn't the Sorts Talk forum.
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Some comedian used the hockey puck in his routine, something like ` A hockey puck in sports?
    Really, who uses a toilet bowl disinfectant as a ball in sports? That's not a sport!`
    Don Rickles often used the term as an insult. `What a hockey puck`

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure it's AU 58 after the flip.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pawn Stars has Super Bowl rings but not toss coins?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I have noticed a lot of refs on the high school level carry a silver eagle for the "toss coin"
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    Regardless of Kott's dream Super Bowl teams, ultimately he's just glad his Melbourne, Fla.,-based company gets to be part of it. He even gets a couple of tickets to one of the world's most popular sporting events, which this year is in New Orleans.

The Highland Mint commemorative, 1.5-inch diameter coin, not only will be used in the coin flip but also goes to the Pro Football Hall of Fame as part of its Super Bowl XLVII display. The remaining 99 coins of the first 100 coins pressed are given to players and NFL dignitaries. The rest — about 9,900 — are sold to the public for $99.95.

The coins, made of silver with gold highlights, usually sell out, but with more popular teams with bigger fan bases, Kott sometimes also can sell special framed packages that might include a Super Bowl program, a piece of the turf, or a section of one of the game footballs.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>coin-flip coins >>

I believe the proper numismatic term is "toss coin" image >>

Indeed. A coin flip is a buy and a quick sale for a profit. A coin toss is a heads/tails call.

Much as I love the 49ers Seattle would be my pick for the NFC, defeating New England.
    Lance.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keets, in todays popular lexicon, most 'sports' have a ball of some sort.... in reality, there are many other 'sports' that do not require a ball.... i.e. racing, wrestling, hunting, fishing etc., etc., etc.. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i got other things to do with the time instead of watching that. jmo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file