Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

It really makes me kinda sad that I never had a chance to meet...

...Ron Santo of the Chicago Cubs.

He was really one of the "Really good Guys" in baseball and for some reason He has been on my mind. Maybe it has to do with all of the ALS Icebucket awareness going on. Yes, I know he had severe Diabetes, but He just happen to be on my mind.

Other "Really good Guys" I would love to have met in my lifetime would be:

Tony Gwynn
Kirby Puckett

Just to name a couple.

Paul.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• Kirby Puckett was "a really good guy"? I'm sorry but I think you should do more research on that one. Has a long history of violence towards women, some of it involving guns and saws.
  • QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    I like Santo but I really love Broooks Roinson. Reading a book about him. Not one bad word about Brooks Super nice guy. I really feel he helped Frank Robinson meet his potential.
  • Roberto Clemente...A great man as well as great ball player
  • MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Phil Rizzuto. I loved his broadcasts when I was younger. To me, he was the voice of the New York Yankees.

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • To Kirby Pucketts defense, those accusations came out AFTER his death by his ex lover. EX LOVER. So he is not here to defend himself and we all know that there are always two sides to every story. Kirby contributed to lots of charities and spent time visiting sick children in hospitals and those are actual facts. His HUGE smile was genuine and he seemed like he always had a great attitude on the field. I think people know this and which is why the man is loved so much still even in after death.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I met Brooks Robinson when I was a kid. He headed a summer baseball camp in Pennsylvania I attended a few times. Good guy! I still have a photo I took with him at the camp.
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    my ex wife
  • PLEHRPLEHR Posts: 102

<< <i>Phil Rizzuto. I loved his broadcasts when I was younger. To me, he was the voice of the New York Yankees.

image >>

I met Rizzuto at a card show once and got a couple balls autographed. He was super nice with everyone there. Class act!

For me, I wish I had met Mickey Mantle before he passed. I had a few opportunities but never made the effort to go to a show where he was signing.
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    A large reason that my collection centers around Thomas and Clemente is character. As a child, I thought they were both good guys to emulate.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com

• << <i>To Kirby Pucketts defense, those accusations came out AFTER his death by his ex lover. EX LOVER. So he is not here to defend himself and we all know that there are always two sides to every story. Kirby contributed to lots of charities and spent time visiting sick children in hospitals and those are actual facts. His HUGE smile was genuine and he seemed like he always had a great attitude on the field. I think people know this and which is why the man is loved so much still even in after death. >>

Not all the allegations came after his death and not all of them were by his "ex lover." Some were by a wife during his playing days, and he faced charges for dragging a woman into a bar bathroom and assaulting her. Am I to believe that 3 or more women were all making everything up? Seems like common sense that there was a pattern there. Don't get me wrong, I really admired the way he played the game, with passion and flair. I enjoy collecting his cards. I'm just saying that, for the "really good guys" list, Kirby's status should AT BEST be considered "inconclusive."
  • maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has really stuck with me since Santo's passing. I hope the people responsible for this were held accountable.

Santo Memorabilia
  • esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Tony Gwynn. I had it in my mind that one day we would hang out for a bit and talk baseball. Sigh.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • It really makes me kinda sad that I never had a chance to meet... either of my grandfathers. From the stories I have been told they were both hard working men of character and honor.
  • TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 398 ✭✭✭
    Mickey Mantle. My brother and I would see him at card shows, and I guess we figured he would live forever. We really missed out. In a way, Mickey lives on, he's always going to be remembered.
    Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 398 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It really makes me kinda sad that I never had a chance to meet... either of my grandfathers. From the stories I have been told they were both hard working men of character and honor. >>

Ditto that. My brother met both, but they were gone before I was born.
    Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Roberto Clemente...A great man as well as great ball player >>

I had the great fortune to meet Mr. Clemente once when I was around 8 years old, and I can state for a FACT
    that he truly was a great human being!

Dave

• << <i>

<< <i>Roberto Clemente...A great man as well as great ball player >>

I had the great fortune to meet Mr. Clemente once when I was around 8 years old, and I can state for a FACT
    that he truly was a great human being! >>

Wow, that's awesome!
  • 2 guys who recently passed who had great reputations as "good guys" were Musial & Feller.
  • MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I met Rizzuto at a card show once and got a couple balls autographed. He was super nice with everyone there. Class act! >>

That's great Plehr. Thanks for sharing.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, I think the accusations against Kirby Puckett were pretty legitimate. There was more than 1 incident and they all involved the same thing....very violent behavior towards women.

Tony Gwynn is without a doubt a true gentleman and one of the best human beings ever to get inducted into the hall. Jerry Coleman as well...

Regarding Ron Santo...don't know much about him, but sounds like he was a great guy. I really didn't know if he had passed or was still living, so I had assumed this happened today
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stan The Man. When I was a kid in the early 60's I wrote him a letter. IIRC I never did get a response, but I had all his early TOPPS cards, at least for awhile, until they were tossed out by Mom or traded away for something else.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭
    Harry Caray

I started working at the restaurant in June '98, Harry passed Feb. '98. I know Dutchie well, I'm sure Harry was good times.

Paul-

I got to meet Ron, working at Harry's. Very nice man, a great person to talk to. He loved baseball.

-Matt

Matt

• elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>I like Santo but I really love Broooks Roinson. Reading a book about him. Not one bad word about Brooks Super nice guy. I really feel he helped Frank Robinson meet his potential. >>

I grew up in Rochester, NY and because the Rochester Redwings were the Orioles AAA club, we had a lot of Orioles greats do promotional appearances.

One of them was Brooks Robinson who was signing somewhere and provided these 14" x 11" cardboard photos to be autographed:

If only I knew someone named Scott that was a hardcore Brooks Robinson collector who I could send this to at no charge if they were interested (hint). image

Snorto~
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It really makes me kinda sad that I never had a chance to meet... either of my grandfathers. From the stories I have been told they were both hard working men of character and honor. >>

Yeah, I can relate.

My maternal grandmother remarried and my step grandfather filled the role very well for more than 20 years, so I got lucky on that score.