Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Derek Jeter Retirement

Watching him of late he still seems to be playing well and seems to still enjoy the game. Do you think he has any regrets on his decision and may change his mind on retirement? Or even may decide to come back after he does? Remember Ryne Sandberg retired then came back, although that did not work out too well.
Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Now that's funny! ROFLMAO.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Playing well? With a 80 OPS+ and his usual lack of range on defense?
  • Options
    Not everyone can go out the way Mariano Rivera did. Most go out with a whimper like Jeter. I am quite sure he is counting the days until this season is mercifully over for him. And then he will start counting the days until A-Rod reports to Yankees Spring Training Camp. He will be doubly glad not to be present for that circus! Retirement must be looking "pretty pretty good" for the Captain right about now!

• Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Taking time off is like cutting off limbs and trying to perform like your old self. No one in professional sports can realistically come back from retirement. Not even Jordan.

Jeter is performing good (decent) and for that he's probably grateful being that it is his final season. No one wants to see a legend look defeated when they leave their game. Just my opinion.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's playing terribly - .217 his last seven days, .250 the last 14, .222 the last 28 days.
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    I think that Derek Jeter made the right decision to retire, and he knows it. He must always be concerned about that one inevitable play that will result in an MRI examination. He will not have to worry about his next round of contract negotiations. He will not have to worry about the endless discussions on WFAN regarding whether he should be batting second or seventh. He will not have to worry about the impending A-Rod media circus. He is playing respectfully in his final season, and he will retire in style. I do believe that the attention he has been receiving this season, on behalf of both the New York Yankees and MLB, is too much.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    I do believe that the attention he has been receiving this season, on behalf of both the New York Yankees and MLB, is too much.

After all that MLB has had to deal with lately, bestowing some props on a true class act is not out of line. Jeter kept his nose clean and has never embarrassed the team or the league. He is also one of the VERY FEW modern players whose cards will be desired and collected for years to come.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I do believe that the attention he has been receiving this season, on behalf of both the New York Yankees and MLB, is too much.

After all that MLB has had to deal with lately, bestowing some props on a true class act is not out of line. Jeter kept his nose clean and has never embarrassed the team or the league. He is also one of the VERY FEW modern players whose cards will be desired and collected for years to come. >>

+1
  • Options

<< <i>I do believe that the attention he has been receiving this season, on behalf of both the New York Yankees and MLB, is too much.

After all that MLB has had to deal with lately, bestowing some props on a true class act is not out of line. Jeter kept his nose clean and has never embarrassed the team or the league. He is also one of the VERY FEW modern players whose cards will be desired and collected for years to come. >>

I'm a Sox fan, but I have tons of respect for jeter and pick up his cards when I can.
  • Options
    We all appreciate and respect him. It just seems to me like they overdid it. That's all.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We all appreciate and respect him. It just seems to me like they overdid it. That's all. >>

+1, have any non-Yankees ever had the kind of farewell tour that Rivera/Jeter have?
  • Options
    He is going out while still on top. Jeter can do no wrong.
  • Options

<< <i>have any non-Yankees ever had the kind of farewell tour that Rivera/Jeter have? >>

Cal Ripken Jr. had a pretty big retirement tour, and more recently Chipper Jones.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even at his age when Nick Lidstrom retired, he was still a fantastic player with a surprising amount still left in the tank. Ken Dryden retired disappointingly young due to his other career interests, but he would have most likely still had several more years as the best goaltender in the league if he had kept going. Barry Sanders could probably have ran for several more seasons after he retired. But for every player who may fall into the category as these guys, there are tons more who retired at a point where they just weren't playing at the level to which they'd been accustomed. There have been so very many players in professional sports that statistically we'll always be able to come up with lists of guys who had a few terrible years at the end that tarnish our memories just like we can come up with some who you just wish played a few more years than they did, even though the majority of them seem to have called it quits at more or less the right time.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>We all appreciate and respect him. It just seems to me like they overdid it. That's all. >>

+1, have any non-Yankees ever had the kind of farewell tour that Rivera/Jeter have? >>

Oh I wasn't saying it's not overboard. It definitely is. Just wanted to go on record that I like the guy.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Paul Konerko is quietly doing his retirement tour. Konerko has been a class act through out his career as well. I dont remember him being linked to any steroids? Yankees presented him with a nice signed base from Yankee Stadium. Although I think they could have done better than that for Konerko. JMO.
  • Options

<< <i>No one's forcing all those road stadiums to stand up and cheer so loudly with his every at bat. Based on the resounding fan reaction, it doesn't seem out line at all. >>

I agree. I also believe that none of those people would even consider going to a baseball game this year if the media did not hype his retirement as much as they have. It has become a status symbol for many people to post on Facebook that they attended a game that Derek Jeter played in this year.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    It has become a status symbol for many people to post on Facebook that they attended a game that Derek Jeter played in this year.

And what is so wrong with this?
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options

<< <i>And what is so wrong with this? >>

I suppose that there is nothing wrong with it. I am just not into the whole selfie thing. I am also more concerned about the New York Yankees advancing to the postseason this year than I am about attending Derek Jeter's farewell tour. He should not be batting second in the lineup. He hits into far too many double plays. That is why opposing pitchers are walking batters to pitch to him. Sorry if I sound bitter, but today's loss to the Detroit Tigers is still bothering me. I also truly believe that what I am saying is the truth. It is simply not a popular thing to say, particularly for a New York Yankees fan. Please do not misunderstand me. I appreciate and respect Derek Jeter as much as anyone. I have been a New York Yankees fan since I was 8 years old. I just wish that it would stop.
  • Options
    At times I think it gets to be too much
    Then I watch this and the too much doesn't bother me all that much

El flipo
  • Options
    I like this even better. The City desperately needed a happy distraction at the time, and Derek Jeter delivered in a way that I will never forget.

Mr. November