Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The best vintage cards to invest in?

Hi everyone.

I just inherited some money that I am going to spend on some high grade vintage cards. My goal is to hold them for awhile then sell them. Since there are a lot of Vintage collectors here, my question is, what are the best cards to purchase for this reason? I am also a big fan of collecting so I really enjoy rookie cards and will love to be showing them off at the holidays with family etc. But ultimately as mentioned the main goal is to eventually sell them for a profit.

If anyone could please make suggestions that would be great! Player, Grade etc. First thing I will probably buy is Bretts 1975 topps PSA 9. Just love that card!

Thanks.

PS no unopened suggestions please. That stuff just will not stay unopened if around me!

Comments

• Options
    First let me offer my condolences.

In terms of where I would invest, I would recommend sticking with HOF RC's from the 4 major sports. I'm a baseball fan so take this with a grain of salt or a whole salt shaker, but here goes:

1939 Play Ball Williams
    1948 Bowman/Leaf Musial
    1951 Bowman Mays
    1954 Topps Aaron
    1955 Topps Koufax
    1957 Topps F. Robinson
    1968 Topps Ryan
    1975 Topps Brett/Yount

The above are based on relative valuation since the OP is looking for future return (obviously never guaranteed).

Good luck with your future purchases.
    Matt
    Looking for post-war hof rc's, raw or graded.
    Successful dealings: grote15, wilkiebaby11, BPorter26 and gregmo32.
  • Options
    FrancartFrancart Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    1951 Bowman Mantle. Highest grade that you can afford.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are plenty of cards I would rather bet on in lower grade than others in higher grade; grade is only part of the equation.

For example I would take a lower grade yet eye appealing Ruth RC, Mantle RC, Mantle 52T, Clemente RC, CJ Cobb or Shoeless over a stack of PSA 9 Bretts without a moment's hesitation. The Brett is one of my favorite cards ever as well, holds a special place to me as a collector-- but it is by no means rare, even in MINT 9 condition, and I don't see it appreciating more than nice low grade copies of any of the cards I listed just above.

Here, in my opinion, are some cards to consider; cards that are cool to show family and friends in terms of history of the game, and also highly desirable iconic "blue chips" to most collectors. These cards are highly liquid and there will always be collectors looking for them, and willing to pay for nice copies for their collections...

In no particular order...

e90-1 Joe Jackson RC (about 137 or so examples known across all grades)
    1914/15 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson, Ty Cobb, or 1914 Mathewson (very low pops across all grades here; iconic cards from a beloved set)
    M101-4/5 Ruth (roughly 100 known all grades - bottom line this is the RC of the greatest player ever, probably the #2 card in the hobby as Orlando says in his book, and the rookie of Babe Ruth will stand the test of time as a piece of American cultural and baseball history)
    E121 Ruth
    1933 Goudey Ruth #53
    1934 Goudey Gehrig #37
    1925 tint variation Exhibit Gehrig RC (Gehrig's name endures, it's his true RC, and under 20 or so known in all grades)
    1951 Bowman Mantle RC - no words necessary on Mick
    1952 Topps Mantle - see right above
    1955 Clemente RC - a classic
    1948 Leaf Paige SP RC - as Orlando says, "arguably toughest Post War card in whole hobby."
    1948 Leaf/49 Bowman Jackie
    1986 Fleer Jordan RC - (many of these abound; seek a centered example)
    1955 Koufax RC
    1963 Rose RC - always a chance he gets in
    Any T206 HOFer - Mathewsons, Cobbs, Youngs, Johnsons, not to mention in rarer backs
    1951 Bowman Mays RC - huge name and card may have room to grow
    1954 Aaron RC
    1968 Ryan RC
    1973 Schmidt RC - a tiny bit harder than the Brett

Of course any HOF RC is never a bad bet, guys like Seaver, Carew, Bench, Murray, Reggie, etc., but some names and some cards are just a bit higher echelon than others.

But end of the day, as much as I love a Brett 9, one of my favorite cards of all time-- cards like a Ruth RC, a 52 Mick, a 51 Mick, the CJ Big Three, and the Shoeless Joes utterly destroy a Brett 9. And even a Brett 10. Go with true rarity over condition rarity every time. New 9s (and even 10s) of newer cards can be created via review or shoebox finds or from unopened more likely than a slew of new Ruth RCs or Paige SPs or 51B/52T Micks will be found raw. Granted the Micks are not numerically rare-- yet they are the exception in that demand is so outrageous it still creates scarcity though there are more of those than say a Shoeless CJ.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    That totally makes sense. Thanks.

And Rose is a must as well.
  • Options
    jgrigalijgrigali Posts: 364 ✭✭
    anything babe ruth, even if MLB caved, ruth would still be iconic americana.
  • Options
    That is a good point; also keep in mind that with the more illustrious cards, there is a greater chance of getting an offline/private sale that will cost you no fees. The more the card is something a collector cannot simply shop around for anywhere, the more likely the collector will be eager to do a private sale with you.

• Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    The DM23HOF list is a good one. It's a nice summary of the most popular HOF-ers (Paige aside) and their best regular-issue cards. I personally would avoid test-issue and one-off cards.

And not to be Debbie Downer or amateur financial advisor, but if you have access to a 401(k), I suggest you max that out first (use the inheritance money to cover it).
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The DM23HOF list is a good one. It's a nice summary of the most popular HOF-ers (Paige aside) and their best regular-issue cards. I personally would avoid test-issue and one-off cards.

And not to be Debbie Downer or amateur financial advisor, but if you have access to a 401(k), I suggest you max that out first (use the inheritance money to cover it). >>

Blasphemy! That's no fun. Instead of Debbie Downer, how about Salty Scotty? ;-)

TopGun, can I ask how much you are looking to invest?

Most of us will give you the same cards. Some of us might feel stronger about certain cards. DM23HOF covered a lot of my thoughts. Depending on your budget, I'd go with PSA 9 or 8.5 and avoid anything lower or anything in a 10 for anything post 1970. For the most part, avoid anything but rookie cards, with the exception of Mantle IMO

1986 Fleer Jordan RC is my #1 choice.
    1979 OPC Wayne Gretzky RC
    1963T Pete Rose RC
    1968T Nolan Ryan RC
    1980 T Rickey Henderson RC (I think this card will pick up a lot of steam. Rickey is one of a kind)
    1969T Reggie Jackson RC
    1980/81 Larry Bird/Magic Johnson RC
    1976T Walter Payton RC
    1981T Joe Montana RC
    1986T Jerry Rice RC
    1965T Joe Namath RC

For anything pre-war, DM23's list is good. You won't go wrong with any nice regular issued Mickey Mantle either

Jordan and Gretzky are bigger than their respective sports. They made each league as popular as they are. What they mean to each sport is not measurable. Calling those 2 iconic cards would be an understatement so their place in the hobby should just keep getting stronger....

Most importantly, Have fun! The chase is the best part...

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    I agree with the above in that ANY mainstream Mantle issue with great eye appeal will never steer you wrong. Especially with nice eye appeal, Mantle cards are incredibly liquid, selling almost instantly.

• Options
    You can't go wrong with any regular issue PSA 8 Jackie Robinson cardsimage
    "You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp
  • Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    I would say "no". With resell fees of 10-15% you are likely to lose....The only way to beat this is to buy something extremely rare/popular and all very high grade PSA 8-10 and MAYBE down the road you might make a few bucks, but likely not as I think card collecting is a slowly but surely fading hobby
  • Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭
    T206 Ty Cobb green background
    1933 Goudey Babe Ruth #53
    1933 Goudey Lou Gehrig
    1939 Play Ball Ted Williams
    1948 Leaf Jackie Robinson
    1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle
    1951 Bowman Willie Mays
    1954 Topps Hank Aaron

Buy only reasonably centered cards, and buy in the highest grade that you can afford.

But, due to fees to be paid when you sell, your starting out behind.

And, will these cards be priced at lower level if economy slows? High grade, high priced cards are very, very high at this time, IMO.

JMO on all this. Good luck.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    "Jordan and Gretzky are bigger than their respective sports. They made each league as popular as they are. What they mean to each sport is not measurable. Calling those 2 iconic cards would be an understatement so their place in the hobby should just keep getting stronger...."

I would strongly disagree about Gretzky. He was the most popular hockey player, but his RC does not have the investment potential as does the Bobby Orr RC. Orr's rookie in a PSA 8 just a few years ago was in the $5-6,000 range. Now they are in the $13-15,000 range. Wise collectors will go to vintage and pre-war before they even think about modern. Doesn't matter how great players from the 80's and later were, vintage and pre-war is the way to go. If you are talking hockey and investment, Bobby Orr should be at the very top of the list. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    I would not buy cards as an investment. Take your money and buy some Facebook and Google stock and let it sit for 10-15 years. It's a better gamble.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    I recommend simply buying the cards that appeal to you. I've never purchased a card for investment/appreciation purposes. It was just by "luck" that many years ago starting as a kid I purchased cards for pennies or small dollars, insisted on mint condition, kept 'em protected and that many are now worth four and five figures.

• Options
    scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 808 ✭✭✭
    Topgun -

Maybe it goes without saying but I'll say it anyway . . .

When buying and selling assets, what you pay is often as important as what you buy -- particularly with sports cards -- as the variability in prices is fairly substantial.

Whatever cards you intend to purchase, do your research and be patient when buying and selling.

My 2c

Scott
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"Jordan and Gretzky are bigger than their respective sports. They made each league as popular as they are. What they mean to each sport is not measurable. Calling those 2 iconic cards would be an understatement so their place in the hobby should just keep getting stronger...."

I would strongly disagree about Gretzky. He was the most popular hockey player, but his RC does not have the investment potential as does the Bobby Orr RC. Orr's rookie in a PSA 8 just a few years ago was in the $5-6,000 range. Now they are in the $13-15,000 range. Wise collectors will go to vintage and pre-war before they even think about modern. Doesn't matter how great players from the 80's and later were, vintage and pre-war is the way to go. If you are talking hockey and investment, Bobby Orr should be at the very top of the list. Just my opinion. >>

i think you'll be in the minority on this one.

Yes, that Orr card is brutally tough in high grades, and there will always be people out there willing to pay for it. But that's somewhat of a condition rarity as mentioned above.

In terms of continued collectibility Gretzky should have room to move higher. If you listed the best hockey players ever, Orr would be at best a distant 3rd behind Gretzky and Howe.
  • Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    In terms of continued collectibility Gretzky should have room to move higher. If you listed the best hockey players ever, Orr would be at best a distant 3rd behind Gretzky and Howe.[/q

Orr a distant third. He was the most complete hockey player to ever lace up the skates. Gretzky just played offense and did absolutely nothing on defense. Orr won scoring titles as a defenseman. He was the best at both sides of the ice. I would def. put Howe ahead of Gretzky, but NO ONE is ahead of Orr. He didn't have a long career due to injuries because he played so hard, but the game was changed forever by Orr (literally). Talk to anyone who watched both play, it's not even close. Just check out how many serious collectors on the PSA registry collect each player. Orr by a mile.
  • Options

<< <i>In terms of continued collectibility Gretzky should have room to move higher. If you listed the best hockey players ever, Orr would be at best a distant 3rd behind Gretzky and Howe.[/q

Orr a distant third. He was the most complete hockey player to ever lace up the skates. Gretzky just played offense and did absolutely nothing on defense. Orr won scoring titles as a defenseman. He was the best at both sides of the ice. I would def. put Howe ahead of Gretzky, but NO ONE is ahead of Orr. He didn't have a long career due to injuries because he played so hard, but the game was changed forever by Orr (literally). Talk to anyone who watched both play, it's not even close. Just check out how many serious collectors on the PSA registry collect each player. Orr by a mile. >>

I'm really not considering who the best is with my opinion. I am only referring to what each player did for their sport. Wayne Gretzky came to LA and turned California and the country into a hockey country. Orr didn't turn a country and /or state into hockey fans. Hockey was still pretty muchdisregarded in the western half of the United States
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
  • Options
    mbz430embz430e Posts: 237 ✭✭

<< <i>I would say "no". With resell fees of 10-15% you are likely to lose....The only way to beat this is to buy something extremely rare/popular and all very high grade PSA 8-10 and MAYBE down the road you might make a few bucks, but likely not as I think card collecting is a slowly but surely fading hobby >>

Mintacular nailed it, the only way to look at collecting cards for anything other than self gratification and personal accomplishment is extremely risky. There needs to be long term demand and there is no guarantee that this will exist in another 20 to 30 years. This upcoming generation is a non ownership group, they rent homes, lease cars and are addicted to Redbox. This being said, as much as I love this hobby and the passion others have for it try to make your money now. If you are hell bent on sticking with cards long term, you need to look at scarcity. History shows that there will always be a buyer or two for items that are in short supply so they can claim ownership over someone else and in the process create envy. I would look prewar only, study the population reports and designate what you can afford and buy the highest grade possible. Gold and silver would be a safer long term investment, the history of precious metals and their demand have a 2,000+ year track record.
    JDRF saves lives, let not another child walk down the path of juvenile diabetes alone. Consider giving either time or money, it will come back to you. $15,800 and counting....
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I would say "no". With resell fees of 10-15% you are likely to lose....The only way to beat this is to buy something extremely rare/popular and all very high grade PSA 8-10 and MAYBE down the road you might make a few bucks, but likely not as I think card collecting is a slowly but surely fading hobby >>

Mintacular nailed it, the only way to look at collecting cards for anything other than self gratification and personal accomplishment is extremely risky. There needs to be long term demand and there is no guarantee that this will exist in another 20 to 30 years. This upcoming generation is a non ownership group, they rent homes, lease cars and are addicted to Redbox. This being said, as much as I love this hobby and the passion others have for it try to make your money now. If you are hell bent on sticking with cards long term, you need to look at scarcity. History shows that there will always be a buyer or two for items that are in short supply so they can claim ownership over someone else and in the process create envy. I would look prewar only, study the population reports and designate what you can afford and buy the highest grade possible. Gold and silver would be a safer long term investment, the history of precious metals and their demand have a 2,000+ year track record. >>

All true, but there is no guarantee about anything we put our money in. I've always maintained that as long as we have a decent economy, cards will hold their own. If the economy tanks, everything will tank, including cards
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    1958 Topps Jim Brown (football).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options

<< <i>In terms of continued collectibility Gretzky should have room to move higher. If you listed the best hockey players ever, Orr would be at best a distant 3rd behind Gretzky and Howe.[/q

Orr a distant third. He was the most complete hockey player to ever lace up the skates. Gretzky just played offense and did absolutely nothing on defense. Orr won scoring titles as a defenseman. He was the best at both sides of the ice. I would def. put Howe ahead of Gretzky, but NO ONE is ahead of Orr. He didn't have a long career due to injuries because he played so hard, but the game was changed forever by Orr (literally). Talk to anyone who watched both play, it's not even close. Just check out how many serious collectors on the PSA registry collect each player. Orr by a mile. >>

Tomi, I agree with your assessment.

In card collecting, I believe Bobby Orr is to hockey what Mickey Mantle is to baseball. Ranking hockey players, there is Orr and then there's everbody else, starting (in order) with Gordie Howe, Wayne Gretzky and Bobby Hull.