Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1979 Vending Box - ALS Fundraiser

BBG is auctioning a 79 vending box for ALS

79 vending

Comments

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Good for him. That is a worthy cause. The opening bid is aggressive. I hope the item gets some bids.
    Steve
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    I tried to ask him the question "If I win can I make the payment directly to ALS" but he is not accepting questions.
  • Options
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    I hate to ask this, but does the buyer have any reassurance that the money will actually go to the ALS association (beyond him saying that it will)?
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options

<< <i>This was the reply I received, ''Payment needs to be made directly to me.'' >>

Sounds like 100% of the payment is bound to go somewhere
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, pretty darn sure that's an Ebay violation. Charity auctions needs to be run through Ebay Works... which subsequently doesn't charge Paypal fee's and refunds listing fee's anyways.
  • Options
    You can list items for charity without eBay Giving Works if: You're soliciting on behalf of recognized, tax-deductible charitable organizations (for example, 501(c)(3) or equivalent status with the IRS). You receive advance written consent from the charitable organization for the solicitation—and include the following information in your listing: A readable photo or scanned image of the written consent. (This proof can't be a link to a website.) The letter must be on the charity's letterhead and signed by one of the organization's officers The charity's tax-deductibility status Your name or eBay user ID, dates of event or listings, and the donation amount (percentage of the final sale price) you'll be donating if your item sells

Anyone care to ask him for his written consent letter?
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>Yeah, pretty darn sure that's an Ebay violation. Charity auctions needs to be run through Ebay Works... which subsequently doesn't charge Paypal fee's and refunds listing fee's anyways. >>

You are correct. Feel free to click on report item then choose

Listing practices
    Other listing practices
    Charity and fundraising

when you choose that last one, it says "The listing offers to give the proceeds to charity, but doesn't follow eBay charity and fundraising policy guidelines."
  • Options
    Guess he's reading the boards, lol, he already took it down!
  • Options
    A new low, even for him/her
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The box has now been relisted through the ebay official giving works program, so it is legit.

1979 Vending Box

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    1all1all Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The box has now been relisted through the ebay official giving works program, so it is legit.

1979 Vending Box >>

No more free shipping I see....
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    $40 shipping? This makes Bobby's $3 shipping pretty much free.

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    Bobby who?
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    why I like to think this is for a great cause and a great gesture I find it suspect that the payment doesn;t go directly to the charity. basically , the seller is selling an item for an overinflated price and getting a large tax deduction by making the donation himself, that is if he makes the donation at all
  • Options

<< <i>why I like to think this is for a great cause and a great gesture I find it suspect that the payment doesn;t go directly to the charity. basically , the seller is selling an item for an overinflated price and getting a large tax deduction by making the donation himself, that is if he makes the donation at all >>

The relisted auction is direct through the Ebay giving works program so payment goes directly to the specified charity in the auction.

I have had my differences with Paul over the years, but in this case, I have to give him credit for making a significant contribution to a worthy cause.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>why I like to think this is for a great cause and a great gesture I find it suspect that the payment doesn;t go directly to the charity. basically , the seller is selling an item for an overinflated price and getting a large tax deduction by making the donation himself, that is if he makes the donation at all >>

The relisted auction is direct through the Ebay giving works program so payment goes directly to the specified charity in the auction.

I have had my differences with Paul over the years, but in this case, I have to give him credit for making a significant contribution to a worthy cause. >>

• Options
    Where's the bucket of ice water? I'm confused
  • Options

<< <i>Good for him. That is a worthy cause. The opening bid is aggressive. I hope the item gets some bids. >>

What do these typically sell for?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Good for him. That is a worthy cause. The opening bid is aggressive. I hope the item gets some bids. >>

What do these typically sell for? >>

I believe Steve last had them priced at $700 a while back.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What do these typically sell for? >>

<< <i>I believe Steve last had them priced at $700 a while back. >>

$440

edited: to add they were also labeled FASC! >>

All vending boxes wrapped Steve are FASC. At least that is my understanding.

I bet today that price would be a lot closer to $700 with wax boxes now at 2K.

• Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What do these typically sell for? >>

<< <i>I believe Steve last had them priced at $700 a while back. >>

$440

edited: to add they were also labeled FASC! >>

I don't think he authenticates vending at all unless it's FASC.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Where's the bucket of ice water? I'm confused >>

The winner has to dunk the vending box in ice water after receiving it. Of course that's after removing the BBCE wrap.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    The last one I know of that sold on eBay was for $762 by Tom at OPC.com (it was my box on consignment). I believe that is the highest realized price to date that I have heard of. Good luck on this sale to the seller as it is for a good cause. The price set is aggressive but so was ours. If you think of vending as being worth around 35-40% of wax, the price is reasonable and obviously has been reached before.
    Steve
  • Options

<< <i>

The winner has to dunk the vending box in ice water after receiving it. Of course that's after removing the BBCE wrap. >>

Maybe the winner should just keep it in the sealed shipping carton to maintain its value.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I have had my differences with Paul over the years, but in this case, I have to give him credit for making a significant contribution to a worthy cause. >>

yep!
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

The winner has to dunk the vending box in ice water after receiving it. Of course that's after removing the BBCE wrap. >>

Don't look at me. I've already been there, done that. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Don't look at me. I've already been there, done that. image >>

Ice water requires ice in the water, Mike, LOL!!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Don't look at me. I've already been there, done that. image >>

Ice water requires ice in the water, Mike, LOL!! >>

It had ice in the water. It is not my fault it all melted. It was still cold or I'm a really good actor. image

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Ice water requires ice in the water, Mike, LOL!! >>

It had ice in the water. It is not my fault it all melted. It was still cold or I'm a really good actor. image >>

Yeah, right Mike. And ALL boxes were ONCE FASC! HAHAHAHAHA
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Ice water requires ice in the water, Mike, LOL!! >>

It had ice in the water. It is not my fault it all melted. It was still cold or I'm a really good actor. image >>

Yeah, right Mike. And ALL boxes were ONCE FASC! HAHAHAHAHA >>

That is not funny. imageimage

Collecting:
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have had my differences with Paul over the years, but in this case, I have to give him credit for making a significant contribution to a worthy cause. >>

Tim, I won't fault a man for trying to do something good for charity. Good for him. I do think his credibility is completely shot in the eyes of many here until he owns up to and is willing to discuss some of his past questionable actions. Time will tell if he ever is willing to do that, perhaps in other forums.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have had my differences with Paul over the years, but in this case, I have to give him credit for making a significant contribution to a worthy cause. >>

Tim, I won't fault a man for trying to do something good for charity. Good for him. I do think his credibility is completely shot in the eyes of many here until he owns up to and is willing to discuss some of his past questionable actions. Time will tell if he ever is willing to do that, perhaps in other forums. >>

I understand that completely and wouldn't presume to convince you otherwise. But that doesn't negate the fact that this auction is for a good cause and is being coordinated through the proper ebay charity program.

• Options
    well, now it is...