Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How I Spent My Time As A Kid

I was going through a box at my mom's house yesterday. I'd forgotten how interested I was in vintage cards as a kid. Apparently (and I don't remember doing it) I made some homemade cards. The bizarre part is the stuff on the backs of the cards is all completely made up nonsense. Pretty strange.

Comments

• Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Those are awesome!! It always fun to find great momentos like that.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knowing you now, David, I'd expect better T/B centering on that '64 Brooks, LOL!!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love that Brooks had 100 doubles in '63 and Don won the Cy (which didn't exist yet) in '53 with an ERA of 4.00.
  • Options

<< <i>I love that Brooks had 100 doubles in '63 and Don won the Cy (which didn't exist yet) in '53 with an ERA of 4.00. >>

That .730 batting average in '61 is pretty impressive, too, LOL!!!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are pure folk art David!

What's the size?

If I had done them? I'd try to have them encapsulated by PSA.
    Mike
  • Options
    I think I had that early BB card book back then. It probably had pics of the card fronts (which I copied) but I had to get creative on the backs!

And Tim, you wouldn't have known me back then. I still have 19 1974 Merv Rettenmund traded cards I pulled from packs, and not one of them would grade a PSA 4.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to do stuff like that when I was a kid also. Have you checked the math on all your stats? Very cool. .739 average is quite impressive.
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Too cool!!!

Love the Newcombe!!!
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options

<< <i>Those are pure folk art David!

What's the size?

If I had done them? I'd try to have them encapsulated by PSA. >>

They're approximately normal size cards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I love that Brooks had 100 doubles in '63 and Don won the Cy (which didn't exist yet) in '53 with an ERA of 4.00. >>

That .730 batting average in '61 is pretty impressive, too, LOL!!! >>

But you can't beat 318 hits in 150 AB in '63!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

That .730 batting average in '61 is pretty impressive, too, LOL!!! >>

But you can't beat 318 hits in 150 AB in '63! >>

True, LOL!

The attention to detail on these is rather remarkable. Even if it doesn't make much sense! LOL!

• Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    That Newcomb autograph is an obvious forgery... I'm reporting you to Operation Bullpen. image

Seriously though, those are awesome... and better than half the sketch cards on eBay. image

All I ever did with my cards was sort them endlessly.

Snorto~
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should frame them with the original 1964 brooks and 1956 Don.
    Very cool
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Wow--Newcolm won 30 games in 1955, but win the CY Award in 1953 with 10 wins.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow--Newcolm won 30 games in 1955, but win the CY Award in 1953 with 10 wins. >>

It's the bizarro MLB. And doesn't Brooks kind of look like Ed Kranepool?
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Those are priceless! BTW, Ken Boyer had 105 SBs in 15 YEARS! LOL (He DID have 8 in '60.)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Massive KUDOS for your homemade cards.

It's these kinds of things that keep the "connection" fresh in my mind, and generate a familiar and
    welcome warmth of an earlier, simpler time!

Thanks so much for sharing.

Dave
  • Options
    JaktJakt Posts: 573
    Those are actually pretty neat. Are you sending them in for grading?
    I'm building a 1968 and a 1970 Topps set. I have lots of 1970s and 1960s to offer in trade.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Those are awesome. If you have a spot in your home where you display items, these need to be included.
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    How awesome is it that your mom saved those? Priceless. To this day I am repurchasing "lost" childhood toys (I've never really grown up).
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    Love the Newcombe made to look like a 56 = well done!
    flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Those are great!!

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    Very cool.

I would have them encapsulated by psa. They would make a cool item to have.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Very cool. I agree that you should have them encapsulated.

PSA Personalized Trading Card Encapsulation
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    I could not resist posting images of the original cards. Here they are. You were quite the little autograph forger back then Paul Maul.

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    Yeah, I clearly was copying the fronts of the cards, but without seeing the backs I had to get creative.
  • Options
    Do you still own the original cards? I would love to know the condition that they are in.
  • Options

<< <i>Do you still own the original cards? I would love to know the condition that they are in. >>

I don't think I ever owned the cards. I had that baseball card book that came out in the early '70s, it must have had photos of these two cards in it. That's why I didn't have the backs to copy.
  • Options
    That is a great story. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    This is way better than sniffing glue and eating paint chips.

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    That is an awesome example of how much passion you had for our hobby. Thanks for sharing.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    Seeing the image of that book again must have brought back some very fond memories. Very cool.
  • Options
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    That's awesome.

"Molon Labe"

• Options

<< <i>That's awesome. >>

+1

This thread is pure awesomeness!

So did Grams take the hint and spot you 15 bucks to drop on that Mays card? image

Snorto~

• Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    Like everyone else said, this thread is awesome! Love the drawings and stories and how others kid about the stats you have on them. Love it!
  • Options
    So did Grams take the hint and spot you 15 bucks to drop on that Mays card? image

Hilarious. Grandma probably went out that day to pick up the Mays for you. Thanks for posting this.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>That's awesome. >>

Snorto~ >>

Nope. And there's no such thing as a 1950 Willie Mays, is there?

It's interesting that I was so interested in vintage cards at age 9. I even had a T-206!
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    But you can't beat 318 hits in 150 AB in '63!

Very impressive, as is the fact that he got his first big league hit at 15 years old.
  • Options

<< <i>I love that Don won the Cy (which didn't exist yet) in '53 with an ERA of 4.00. >>

....and with only 60 Ks against 80 walks. I love that the stats say Brooks hit a nifty .700 in '63, but the fact below says he "only" hit .361 that year. Thanks for sharing, these were hilarious. Can't think of a better way to spend my 2000th post.
  • Options
    (especially old ones)

LOL, classic!

• Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Are they standard size, or Tall Boys?

You should definitely get them slabbed. I bet they would even bring pretty decent money at auction. I would bid.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    Awesome posts. Thanks for sharing the pics!