Home Metal Detecting
Options

August 16, 2014: 1752 KGII Copper! and Sterling ring

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Had a few hours today and got out to the same place that yielded a KGII halfpenny and 1787 Mass cent. Following the advice of WhiteTornado I lowered my sensitivity in an area with a lot of electrical interference. Last time I went through this spot it was at the highest but had lots of chatter. Got a solid signal and dug deep. Out comes another copper, with very nice planchet quality. Got it on video but don't have time to edit it now. Will post tomorrow. After the video I was able to tell it was a King George II halfpenny. Also got a few buttons in the area too. Later in the hunt got a nice silver ring.

Got the copper home and could see a full date! 1752!! Not too bad. HH all and thanks again WhiteTornado!

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another nice find. How deep was this one?
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Wow, more amazing finds! Glad the advice worked. Kudos to my local club, where they discussed that strategy at last month's meeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great find and a really helpful tip.....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Wow PCGS69! A 1752!
    You are the Indiana Jones of metal detectionists as far as I am concerned!
    I love reading your posts.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options

<< <i>Another nice find. How deep was this one? >>

Thanks PPC! It didn't seem as deep as the others. I didn't get a full gauge as the pinpointing was slightly off on the detector so I had to make some side excavation. It was probably 6 to 8 inches.

Thanks everyone else too! And Mariner, I'm glad you enjoy reading the posts. It's great to be able to share finds with people who appreciate them. I show pics to my friends and family and most say, "oh neat... so anyhow..."

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice pick ups for sure. i like the ring best for me right now. best wishes
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Outstanding finds! You suck! image

That's a sweet halfpenny with such a clearly readable date.
    The silver ring looks great too and appears to have some age to it as well! Does it have any hallmarks on it that one could investigate further?
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Thanks Zot for the You Suck!!

It's so rare to find an old copper here in New Hampshire with a readable date.

I don't think the silver ring has any age to it. It only has the "925" stamp inside. In the section is was found, it was all clad coins around it. It also wasn't very deep. It's still better than another bottle cap!
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Your finds really rock!

That's about 200 years older than my oldest detecting coin find.
    I can only imagine the thrill of finding that! image
    Ed