Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What am I missing? why is this an 8? bumpage update

this was the card I had in mind when asked about bumping 8 to 9 to10

Comments

• Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    That looks very sharp to me. A little fuzz off the top right maybe. Great centering, color and focus. No significant print issues that I see. I hope you picked it up.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    The holder says 8 but the cards screams 9
  • Options
    CounselorCounselor Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    everything is great, surface, corners.. I can't see how the fuzz of the cut would hold this card back
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience a card like that, if not just the victim of bad luck on its day of grading, usually has a small surface dimple or bubble that knocks it down.

That said, I will buy that card right now-- is it for sale?

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    not for sale.. it will go for review.
    I have had a less valuable card get a 9 with a print booger on it.. I was expecting it to get a 7 on an otherwise mint
    card. I think it was strictly a value based call. I sent it in at $35 per card..
    I can't justify sending cards in for higher cost when this seems to happen.
    I looked at a psa 10 example and this card is every bit as nice or better

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worth a resub, imo. I would crack it out as there is virtually no chance it comes back lower than an 8 anyway.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those great cards definitely do exist that hang with or even look better than the squeaker 10s-- I just like to find them before astute eyes like yours bump them, LOL! Seriously, though, great pickup and best of luck on the review. Only other thing I can think of is if that dot under the "1" in 1973. But that would be cause for it not being a 10, and being a 9. If for any reason it remains a gorgeous 8 I shall remain happy to take it off your hands and let it upgrade my 9 image Congrats on a great card either way. Not many centered like that.

And I agree with Grote on the crack-- very safe move with this beauty. They may bump it to 8.5 but a 9 would take two tries; in contrast you might hit a 9 in one shot off the crack.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    I feel like as tight as they have been lately, it comes back an 8 again and it is money wasted.
    A review has to bump this, don't see what they could ding this card for.
  • Options

<< <i>I feel like as tight as they have been lately, it comes back an 8 again and it is money wasted.
    A review has to bump this, don't see what they could ding this card for. >>

You're paying sub fee either way, though, and a raw sub may get a more objective look than one for an already (and recently) graded card. JMO..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I got out my magnifying glass to see if the spec was a pd or a spec of dirt, in hand it is almost not visible
    can't accept that's what did it in, I think it was really a value thing, I will review it and they make the review fee.
    That is fair, I guess. I call it profit sharing.
  • Options

<< <i>I got out my magnifying glass to see if the spec was a pd or a spec of dirt, in hand it is almost not visible
    can't accept that's what did it in, I think it was really a value thing, I will review it and they make the review fee.
    That is fair, I guess. I call it profit sharing. >>

The declared value on a sub has no correlation on the grade, though. I have cards I valued at $25 grade at $750 value.

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i'd resub it raw with a bunch of other marginally mint 73s and see what happens. but, that's just how i roll.

looks like it deserves a better grade.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this is in the new holder be very careful cracking.

They are dramatically more difficult to crack then the old holder.

That card is a blazer for sure.

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nine all day. 10 if vibrant enough.

Don't stop at one resubmit, and don't be afraid to crack that beauty.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    I agree about the new holder and one factor why review is 1st option. The new holder is potentially deadly. Don't
    want to risk ruining a card this nice
  • Options

<< <i>I agree about the new holder and one factor why review is 1st option. The new holder is potentially deadly. Don't
    want to risk ruining a card this nice >>

Good luck with it.

When I first tried cracking a card out recently I was completely stunned at how tough it was. I had pieces of plastic flying and almost damaged the card.

It was a cheap card so not the end of the world but this is a completely different story.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the front bottom boarder there looks like there are a few white dots, When you hold the card to shine what does that area look like.
    Card is MINT. I can see it in a 9 holder.
    But if those dots are the surface ones that Im thinking off, where they look slightly like wear type. I never get anything higher than a 8 when I send them in.
    And also next to John's name on the front it looks odd from the scan, does it look any different when held at an angle?
  • Options
    no dots or any other wear visible at an angle
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Looks like there might be a print smudge in the upper right corner of the inner black border (by Schmidt's back), but even if so, c'mon-- there's a point at which a grader has to use a little common sense.
  • Options
    part 1 of psa 8 to 10 complete..

and boom goes the dynamite

MINT 9 1973 Topps 615 Rookie 3rd Basemen R.Cey/J.Hilton/M.Schmidt
  • Options
    That card was Mint all the way.

Very nice!

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The holder says 8 but the cards screams 9 >>

So very true!
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    mazel tov!
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Did you submit it in the holder or crack it out?
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    Looks like a lock 9 and you got it! Way to go.
  • Options
    They get another fee, you get $1,500 added value. Everyone gets a taste.
    All your money won't another minute buy.
  • Options
    They get another fee, you get $1,500 added value. Everyone gets a taste.

exactly, pay to play - I get it
    they will be getting another taste
  • Options
    That card is a 9. I don't care what the flip says.
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They get another fee, you get $1,500 added value. Everyone gets a taste. >>

Resub's are such an insignificant portion of PSA's revenue that it would be crazy to think PSA has any sort of motivation to aim for them.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    They should get it right the first time. They're supposed to be pros.
    Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes the grading game reminds me of the baseball HOF requirements in that you cannot get in the 1st year, but 5 yrs. later with the same stats you are HOF worthy and get in even though you did not play in between years 1-5. With the cards it is an 8 one day,but send it in 3 months later the same card is a 9. image
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Congrats on the bump! Blazer of a card of my favorite player!