Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Greatest hitter of all time

The Cobb vs Rose debate has sparked my interest in what the CU forum thinks about who was the best.

Comments

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Barry Bonds but not Tony Gwynn?
  • ledstersledsters Posts: 603 ✭✭

"Barry Bonds but not Tony Gwynn?"

That's what I was thinking. I guess 8 Batting Titles doesn't get you into the top ten. Sheeesh!!! Yes, I typed it, Sheeesh! It's a shame that Tony never really got the respect he was due. I guess that's what happens when you play the game in a city you love, don't hype yourself, and play for the game, not the fame.

I say Gwynn is in the top 5 all time.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Splendid Splinter.

Better, even, than Barry Sanders. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

I say Gwynn is in the top 5 all time. >>

Are you serious? He is tied for 139th in all time OPS+.
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Miguel Cabrera could go on that list. I believe by the time he is finished, he will be one of the best right handed hitters of all time.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 80.51% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.80% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Ruth? Who's Babe Ruth? I vote for him!

• BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I say Gwynn is in the top 5 all time. >>

Are you serious? He is tied for 139th in all time OPS+. >>

Only four modern players are in the top twenty, only one active (Pujols). The others are Bonds, McGwire, and Thomas.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Greatest hitter? Muhammad Ali

• 19541954 Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭
    Williams is the best pure hitter that was out there. Mays and Cobb are up at the top as well.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I say Gwynn is in the top 5 all time. >>

Are you serious? He is tied for 139th in all time OPS+. >>

OPS is a biased stat for power hitters; it's only one part of a much larger story

And I don't think there's really much of a debate here, and the stats are proving it out so far

Ted Williams was unbelievable, and as pointed out he may have missed his best years of production
  • TabeTabe Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Sorry, but to be top 5 all-time, you gotta hit for average AND power. Ruth did it. Williams did it. Bonds did it. Hornsby did it. Gehrig did it. Cobb did it. Gwynn... didn't.
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭
    Bonds hit everything thrown in his direction...
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658

<< <i>

<< <i>

Sorry, but to be top 5 all-time, you gotta hit for average AND power. Ruth did it. Williams did it. Bonds did it. Hornsby did it. Gehrig did it. Cobb did it. Gwynn... didn't. >>

+1

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • This is photographic PROOF that Babe Ruth was the greatest hitter of all time. This is Ted Williams conceding the title to Babe Ruth.

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Cant decide between Williams and Bonds.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bonds hit everything thrown in his direction... >>

thats why i picked him. He put up huge numbers, and was pitched around most of the time the second half of his career.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 80.51% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.80% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • The correct answer isn't even a choice! It's YAZ!!

Yes, I'm kidding.

<< <i>The correct answer isn't even a choice! It's YAZ!!

Yes, I'm kidding. >>

Who's Yaz??

• Krums, you can be banned for that. Although you've been banned before, so what do you care?

• << <i>

<< <i>The correct answer isn't even a choice! It's YAZ!!

Yes, I'm kidding. >>

Who's Yaz?? >>

He is the guy in this video in the outfield watching the home run go over his head and also the guy popping up to end the game:

Video

• << <i>Cant decide between Williams and Bonds. >>

It's a well documented fact that steroids improve eyesight. Had Williams been juiced his numbers would have been off the chart.

A "clean" hitting Frank Robinson hit 49 hrs in '66 and batted .342 in '63. Bonds didn't reach such lofty numbers until (after) he began juicing. I would place Robinson on that list before I would degrade it with the likes of Bonds.
    "You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp
  • bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Cant decide between Williams and Bonds. >>

It's a well documented fact that steroids improve eyesight. Had Williams been juiced his numbers would have been off the chart.

A "clean" hitting Frank Robinson hit 49 hrs in '66 and batted .342 in '63. Bonds didn't reach such lofty numbers until (after) he began juicing. I would place Robinson on that list before I would degrade it with the likes of Bonds. >>

You can't only give Williams roids. He needs to face a fully integrated league with international talent. Then the pitchers also use PEDs. I'm not saying Williams wouldn't improve, but you have to include the whole league.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    You can't only give Williams roids. He needs to face a fully integrated league with international talent. Then the pitchers also use PEDs. I'm not saying Williams wouldn't improve, but you have to include the whole league. >>

Williams hit .388 11 years after integration. Something tells me he'd be just as good in any year.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Someone already did all the work for us... Baseballs Greatest Hitters of All Time!
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

• << <i>Someone already did all the work for us... Baseballs Greatest Hitters of All Time! >>

• mdkuommdkuom Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    Keep in mind that there were many fewer teams back in the day. Almost half of all current MLB players would not have had jobs back in the '40's. I know for sure the Twins would love to throw away at least half of their current roster.
  • Barry Bonds hands down, don't care what people say about the ped situation, its still hard to hit a home run and last time I checked Barry Bonds is still number one! He belongs in the hall of fame just as much as Pete Rose does!
  • bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Keep in mind that there were many fewer teams back in the day. Almost half of all current MLB players would not have had jobs back in the '40's. I know for sure the Twins would love to throw away at least half of their current roster. >>

Do you think Williams faced tougher pitching than Bonds?
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I would say overall it is Ted Williams, but I grew up watching Rod Carew and he could place that ball anywhere.
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Keep in mind that there were many fewer teams back in the day. Almost half of all current MLB players would not have had jobs back in the '40's. I know for sure the Twins would love to throw away at least half of their current roster. >>

Do you think Williams faced tougher pitching than Bonds? >>

Nothing against Williams but Bonds faced guys throwing 98 in the 7th. Was there a pitcher that threw that in the 40's or 50's?
    No! I know that nobody wants to give Bonds his due but if it was that easy to take a magic potion then 75% of hitters would be
    in the 300's all the time.. I get it he was a jerk and took PEDs but Ty Cobb was one too...
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roy Hobbs

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON

• << <i>

It's a well documented fact that steroids improve eyesight. >>

This is not factual. Please show me evidence of anabolic steroids improving vision.
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I saw the title of this thread, one name came to mind: Ted Williams.
    Daniel

• << <i>

<< <i>

It's a well documented fact that steroids improve eyesight. >>

This is not factual. Please show me evidence of anabolic steroids improving vision. >>

At that famous televised congressional hearing where Canseco ratted out Sosa, McGwire & Palmeiro one of the nation's top PED experts testified that (**steroids or HGH?) significantly improves a hitter's eyesight. **Note--off the top of my head I can't specifically recall whether he testified it was steroids or HGH that enhanced a players sight--but it was one of the two. Having thought about it more he probably said it was HGH (human growth hormones) since Sosa, McGwire & Palmeiro were all three accused of using such.
    "You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Bonds allegedly admitted that steroids helped his hand to eye coordination in the book "Game Of Shadows". I never read it so I can't be sure.

link
  • downtowndowntown Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Williams is the best pure hitter that was out there. Mays and Cobb are up at the top as well. >>

On top of that, Ted Williams did not play at the age of 24,25,26.

To put that in perspective, Ty Cobb hit .420, .406, and .390 between the ages of 24-26.

Babe Ruth's highest OPS season was at the age of 25.

At the age of 25 Babe Ruth hit 54 home runs.
    At the age of 26 Babe Ruth hit 59 home runs.

I think we can assume that we never saw Ted Williams greatest baseball seasons ever because of his service to his country. >>

+1
    I collect Seattle Pilots autographs, 1969 Topps autographs, Signed Mickey Mantle Home Run History cards and have a JC Martin collection (he was my college Baseball coach)
    Doug
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When I saw the title of this thread, one name came to mind: Ted Williams. >>

+1 Me too.
  • In my opinion, it is Ted Williams.
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ted Williams, hands down...had he played in his true prime years he would have owned baseball, no question in my mind.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • I'll go with 1. Ted Williams 2. Lou Gehrig.
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Barry Bonds but not Tony Gwynn?"

That's what I was thinking. I guess 8 Batting Titles doesn't get you into the top ten. Sheeesh!!! Yes, I typed it, Sheeesh! It's a shame that Tony never really got the respect he was due. I guess that's what happens when you play the game in a city you love, don't hype yourself, and play for the game, not the fame.

Gwynn was also the only one close to 400 in the modern era.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Get real guys. No one else dominated the game the way Ruth did. Williams was a great hitter; Ruth was better.
  • eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    always difficult to assess players one has never seen play.....but I will anyway. if I managed a team I would always want somebody who had the ability to go deep. punch and judy hitters are fine but at crunch time I want somebody who can hit it out of the park. if the guy can hit for average as well as power then that makes him a special hitter.

that said: ted Williams, the babe and lou Gehrig. in that order.

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would say overall it is Ted Williams, but I grew up watching Rod Carew and he could place that ball anywhere. >>

+1
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets