Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dennis the Menace television show, Mr. Wilson's coin collection

WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 26, 2024 8:19AM in U.S. Coin Forum
I am putting together a list of episodes of the 1959-1963 CBS Televsion show "Dennis the Menace"
which feature coin or numismatic related topics.

The show was about a mischevious small boy Dennis and his grumpy neighbor Mr. Wilson.

Mr. Wilson had a number of hobbies and coin collecting was one of them.

This show has been mentioned on this forum before, usually in replies to another post.

I have found four episodes so far which featured coins or coin topics.

"Dennis and the Rare Coin" (Season 1, Episode 15, first shown January 17, 1960)

Mr. Wilson pays $250.00 for a rare gold coin (a 1907 $10 gold coin) from a con artist
that turns out to be a fake coin. The good news is that the coin gives Mr. Wilson a
free wish when Dennis throws the coin in the fountain in the park, Mr. Wilson wishes that
Dennis would go on vacation for a week and his wish comes true in the end when he learns
that Dennis is going to his Grandpa's for a week.

"Dennis' Paper Drive" (Season 1, Episode 24, first shown April 10, 1960)

Dennis and a bunch of other town boys are collecting papers for a charity and the prize
for the boy who collects the most papers is a rare silver dollar that is worth $600.
When Mr. Wilson gets word of that he is determined to make sure that Dennis wins the
prize so that he can get the silver dollar.

"The Lucky Piece" (Season 3, Episode 11, first shown December 7, 1961)

Mr Wilson gives Dennis a coin with Good Luck written on it for mowing his lawn.
Dennis thinks it is a lucky coin, and he seems to have a lot of good things happening to him.

"A Quiet Evening" (Season 3, Episode 21, first shown February 25, 1962)

Mr. Wilson's plans for a quiet evening with his coin collection go awry when he
unexpectedly has to babysit Dennis, Margaret, and Seymour.

Can anybody add more episodes to this list?

I put writeups of the first three above episodes on my website's "Coins on Television" section.

Mr. Wilson's coin collection (from "Dennis' Paper Drive")

I like the box.

Added:
Mr. Wilson's coin box is interesting because it has spaces sized to individual coins.

Also, the coins indicate that he is a collector of world coins, not just US coins.

I wonder if someone's real coin collection was used for the television show.

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fun to read- thanks for posting!
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Dennis the Menace Season 2, Episode 14 "Dennis' Penny Collection"

Mr. Wilson helps Dennis start a penny collection, hoping it will preoccupy him quietly indoors. However, Dennis pesters the nearby grocer repeatedly for rolls of coins, spills them on the floor, and causes Mr. Wilson to get arrested.

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, the good old days of collecting silver coins from circulation. No TPG's, no stickers, just plain fun and an easy way to make money.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ah, the good old days of collecting silver coins from circulation. No TPG's, no stickers, just plain fun and an easy way to make money. >>

I don't know about the "making money" part of it. We treated the coins just like the pieces you spend and get in change today. Dealers didn't start paying premiums for them until circa 1968-9, and then it was only 8% above face value. Many viewed it as a speculative purchase at the time.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Dealers didn't start paying premiums for them until circa 1968-9 >>

This is what I meant, and those who kept their childhood collections until the 1980's made some good money from pocket change. I still have mine. There were better dates, and an occasional rare date, available from circulation that could be immediately sold for a profit. Those were fun times for the average collector on a budget. The early US coins from dealers were also much less expensive, even when accounting for inflation.

Dennis the Menace was a good show, thanks for posting.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Just found both episodes on youtube. image

Dennis the Menace Season 1, Episode 24 "Dennis' Paper Drive
    at approx 15:50 mr wilson talks about an 1895 morgan dollar in uncirculated condition for only $600 bucks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D41T1_-Y5CU

Dennis the Menace Season 2, Episode 14 "Dennis' Penny Collection"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mJDESSNoKk
  • Options
    "John Wilson Wins a Chicken"

Dennis wants John Wilson (brother of George) to buy a ten cent raffle ticket for a chicken raised in class using an incubator. John is not enthusiastic about spending a dime, but during his conversation with Dennis, John receives a call from Mr. Hansen, a coin collector, who offers John $150 for his 1919-D dime. John accepts the offer for the dime and is ecstatic over the price offered. "$150 for my 1919-D dime, $50 more than it's worth. Imagine, Martha, $150 for one thin dime!"

No pic of any coins, there is discussion of John's coin collecting with Dennis and so on. Rest of episode is John wins the chicken, want to slaughter it and Dennis works to prevent that from happening.

Episode is here - John Wilson Wins a Chicken
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    The writing back then was so good. And clean. This thread is awesome BTW. Always love the TV threads.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    Fun thread!
    I remember a couple of those episodes although from later 1960's reruns.
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options
    Dennis the Menace (1959): Dennis' Bank Account, Season 3 : Episode 13, Dennis wants to open an account at the bank where Mr. Wilson is temporarily working in the new-accounts department.

Dennis brings 300 pennies to the bank in a paper sack, which spills to the floor when the bag rips open. After picking up all the pennies, Dennis makes an exasperated Mr. Wilson count all his pennies again. Next day, Dennis returns to the bank to check on his money, but is not satisfied with being shown three one dollar bills, rather he want to see his 300 pennies. so his pennies are stacked for his verification.

imageimageimage

Episode is here - Dennis' Bank Account

Finally, Dennis wants to deposit another 16 cents after an eight bottle redemption and poor Mr. Wilsons' troubles worsen.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    There's a 1966 "My Three Sons" episode you could put on your website.

Ernie finds a 1914-D cent and says it's worth $37.50 and will be worth a fortune in 20 years.
    The coin is missing and he blames his brother so they re-enact the day like a trial to see where the penny went.

That episode:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0655134/

Ed
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    This is great! Thanks for posting. I have not seen this show in many years and I am looking forward to watching all of these! image
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"John Wilson Wins a Chicken"

Dennis wants John Wilson (brother of George) to buy a ten cent raffle ticket for a chicken raised in class using an incubator. John is not enthusiastic about spending a dime, but during his conversation with Dennis, John receives a call from Mr. Hansen, a coin collector, who offers John $150 for his 1919-D dime. John accepts the offer for the dime and is ecstatic over the price offered. "$150 for my 1919-D dime, $50 more than it's worth. Imagine, Martha, $150 for one thin dime!"

No pic of any coins, there is discussion of John's coin collecting with Dennis and so on. Rest of episode is John wins the chicken, want to slaughter it and Dennis works to prevent that from happening.

Episode is here - John Wilson Wins a Chicken >>

Really? 1919-d? Not a 1916-d?

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the memories. Great period of America.
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>Thanks for the memories. Great period of America. >>

I guess that depends on who you were and what you looked like.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    Season 2, Episode 14.... "Dennis' Penny Collection" - - that was ME, almost 50 years ago, laying on my Grandparents' living room floor filling my Whitman blue tri-folds with pennies from circulation!

Fast-forward to today, with me still filling holes in those very same folders, either from circulation, trades, or via eBay....... Not much has changed, other than use of the internet and sitting in a chair (no way I could lay down on the floor & ever hope to get up again!!imageimage )

Good memories!!image
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I guess that depends on who you were and what you looked like. >>

LOL, what a DQ you are.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I wonder what Jay North is doing these days. He's got to be in his mid sixties.
    Paul
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder what Jay North is doing these days. He's got to be in his mid sixties. >>

He's 63 and still does occasional autograph signings but mostly leads a quiet life in Florida with his wife and stepchildren.
    During his DTM days he apparently suffered significant physical/mental abuse from his aunt who was evidently a perfectionist about his acting. Joseph Kearns, who played Mr. Wilson, was like a father figure to him and when he passed away in 1962 (while the show was still in production) he was never the same. He later found himself, of course, typecast and had a hard time finding roles but from the interview snippets I've read, he seems to be happy with his life now and has been working to help other former child actors deal with their issues.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    CyStaterCyStater Posts: 681 ✭✭✭
    There was an episode that included confederate currency if I remember right.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I guess that depends on who you were and what you looked like. >>

it's a tv program. it only depicts what they wanted you to see during that period in time.
  • Options

<< <i>

it's a tv program. it only depicts what they wanted you to see during that period in time. >>

Who is "they"?

edit - I guess they must have wanted us to see a little kid collecting coins and causing mischief.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

it's a tv program. it only depicts what they wanted you to see during that period in time. >>

Who is "they"?

edit - I guess they must have wanted us to see a little kid collecting coins and causing mischief. >>

they are the people who made the program.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vaguely remember an episode where Mr. Wilson lost a "very rare" 1919-D dime. Dennis finds it and they show a close-up -- it's a Barber dime! I think I was only 9 or 10 at the time (it was a re-run shown in the mid-1970s), but even then I thought it was sloppy that they did not use a Mercury dime to be consistent with the date.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder what Jay North is doing these days. He's got to be in his mid sixties. >>

I found a low budget "B" in one of those "32 movies for $15" boxes. The film was "The Teacher." Jay was in his mid 20's and his character gets killed about mid way through it.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fun Post, thanks
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for your suggestions and information.

So far I have found ten "Dennis the Menace" episodes which have numismatic plots.

These episodes are on my "Coins on Television" website:

"Dennis and the Rare Coin" (Shows a $10 Indian gold coin 1907)
    "Dennis' Paper Drive" (Shows a silver dollar supposed to be 1895)
    "Dennis' Penny Collection" (Shows Whitman Lincoln Cent albums, mentions a 1911 penny)
    "The Lucky Piece" (Shows a generic "Good Luck" coin/token)
    "A Quiet Evening" (Mentions a 1919-D dime but shows a 1913 Barber dime)

These episodes also feature coins or currency notes:

"Dennis' Bank Account" (Shows stacks and rolls of modern pennies)
    "John Wilson Wins a Chicken" (The 1919-D dime again but does not show any dime)
    "Dennis and the Fishing Rod" (Shows a Confederate $50 note)
    "Dennis and the Radio Set" (Old US currency found in radio, shows prop money)
    "Dennis and the Picnic" (Counterfeit money, shows prop money)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watched several eposodes about a month ago when I was sick with a flu.
    Great entertainment!
    My boy (who's in his 20's) says the show is stupid. I guess he's tarnished by modern comedy/sit coms and their excess of raunch humor.
    A sure sign that I am indeed OLD!image

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    Harry779Harry779 Posts: 902 ✭✭
    Gee Mom,That Mr.Wilson sure is a nice guy.

(Mom) Why's that Dennis?

Because he said he was going to fix my wagon.
  • Options
    I always thought Mr. Wilson was an old crotch head. Now I like flowers and coins. I have beheld what I have become.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options

<< <i>Gee Mom,That Mr.Wilson sure is a nice guy.

(Mom) Why's that Dennis?

Because he said he was going to fix my wagon. >>

• Options
    double post
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"A Quiet Evening" (Mentions a 1919-D dime but shows a 1913 Barber dime)) >>

Ha! I knew it! Thanks for the research confirming my recollection!
  • Options
    TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There's a 1966 "My Three Sons" episode you could put on your website.

Ernie finds a 1914-D cent and says it's worth $37.50 and will be worth a fortune in 20 years.
    The coin is missing and he blames his brother so they re-enact the day like a trial to see where the penny went.

That episode:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0655134/ >>

Thinking back to my childhood, this episode might have been what first sparked my interested in coins. Watching the episode years later I was amazed to find out that they were showing a picture of an Indian head penny representing it as a 1914-D. Some of the dialog even indicated the 1914 D was an Indian Head penny. Oops, I guess the writers / producers didn't know much about rare coins, probably just looked in a price guide for a valuable coin.
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭

Fun post.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did it. I didn’t fall for the old thread deal. Actually looked for once. My my. I feel so accomplished 😁

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2023 12:22PM

@nwcoast said:
    Watched several eposodes about a month ago when I was sick with a flu.
    Great entertainment!
    My boy (who's in his 20's) says the show is stupid. I guess he's tarnished by modern comedy/sit coms and their excess of raunch humor.
    A sure sign that I am indeed OLD!

Of course it's "stupid." Dad likes it. You are not alone. I have similar issues with my son but it's mostly about music. Many of my favorite singers are "old", can't sing anymore. I tell him his favorite singers never could sing.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah yes
    The generational conundrum. I share a house with 3 generations and 2 against 1 really gets tough 😁

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can care less whether people like (or dislike) this old stuff.

My opinion won't be affected by it at all.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always remember Mr. Wilson from the original series as this really old man. Imagine my surprise to find out that he barely made it to 55 years of age!
    The older you get, the older "old" gets. ;)

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    I always remember Mr. Wilson from the original series as this really old man. Imagine my surprise to find out that he barely made it to 55 years of age!
    The older you get, the older "old" gets. ;)

Looking back, his voice, mannerisms and style of dress DID make him seem older than his years, likely on purpose. Sort of like the way they did up Vivian Vance, who was actually only slightly older than Lucille Ball.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file