Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS =,<,>, NGC + CAC?

I have a common date Morgan in an NGC 64 DPL holder with a green CAC sticker. I am considering sending it to PCGS for their "free" crossover special this quarter. If things are equal, which would you rather have, a PCGS 64 DMPL (common Morgan), or an NGC 64 DPL with a green bean? What if I said that you could keep $30.00 of your money if you kept the NGC holder? I'm not very good at math, but I think the equation would look something like this: PCGS slab > NGC slab + bean; PCGS slab = NGC slab + bean; or PCGS slab < NGC slab + bean. Somewhere up there, my old Algebra teacher, Mr. Gorham, is rolling in his grave. Go Hogs..............

Comments

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think for DMPL's PCGS brings a stronger market.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you examine the coin, what do you think?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends upon the coin

Post pictures.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Why not send it to CAC after crossing it? Pics would be helpful.
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back up a second.......

Are you selling and wanting to maximize potential profits ? Are you planning on keeping the coin? Is your goal to enter it into a set registry? What's the motivation to do anything with it?

A common-date MS64DMPL Morgan is roughly a $400 coin. By the time you pay grading fees and shipping to and from a TPG (and then potentially also to/from CAC), it's unlikely you'll realize any financial benefit, unless it's part of a larger submission (economy of scale). It's also probable that the coin won't cross or won't get a sticker when submitted. In that case, you're money behind.
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS requires deeper mirrors for a DMPL than NGC requires for a DPL.
    As such, many (but certainly not all) DPL coins don't cross to DMPL.
  • Bryce free crossover special. SS you are very correct on that advice.
  • coinguy1989coinguy1989 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭

<< <i>I have a common date Morgan in an NGC 64 DPL holder with a green CAC sticker. I am considering sending it to PCGS for their "free" crossover special this quarter. If things are equal, which would you rather have, a PCGS 64 DMPL (common Morgan), or an NGC 64 DPL with a green bean? What if I said that you could keep $30.00 of your money if you kept the NGC holder? I'm not very good at math, but I think the equation would look something like this: PCGS slab > NGC slab + bean; PCGS slab = NGC slab + bean; or PCGS slab < NGC slab + bean. Somewhere up there, my old Algebra teacher, Mr. Gorham, is rolling in his grave. Go Hogs.............. >>

My opinion is that a common date MS64 DPL isn't worth the fees for crossing it over to PCGS. Remember that you pay the submission fee, shipping, and the new crossover premium if it crosses. I don't think the plastic will matter that much for this coin. If it were a better date or higher graded piece, I might feel differently.
  • riconaricona Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Appreciate the thoughts and opinions from you guys. I would send pics, but I am an awful coin photographer. My self-esteem couldn't take the abuse from some of those on the board. I am not interested in selling the coin anytime soon. I am old and fat and my wife is younger and runs 8 miles a day. At some point, I would guess, my wife will liquidate my collection. I am just trying to decide if changing plastic would be worth the cost. Of course, Johnny at the local pawn shop won't care either way.........I just find it fascinating to try to figure out between all the choices between TPG's, reconsiderations, +'s, crossovers, regrades, crackouts, bulk submissions, etc, etc.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The runner would probably rather have a new pair of shoes than a Morgan. image
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Would rather have the cac ngc
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    " I would send pics, but I am an awful coin photographer. My self-esteem couldn't take the abuse from some of those on the board. I am not interested in selling the coin anytime soon. I am old and fat and my wife is younger and runs 8 miles a day."

Nominee for self-deprecating post of the summer. Please post more often... it is good to see some people don't take things too seriously around here.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file