Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1856 Flying Ealge on Ebay. Uh-oh

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1856-Flying-Eagle-Cent-/141358875759?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item20e9a5446f

So another time I decided to venture into the unknown and I stumble on a 1856 Flying Eagle. I just looked and the bidding is up to almost $1400 but at time it was like $60. I decided to message the seller who also has a 09svdb for sale and had his phone number in the question part of the ad. I decided not to be a creep and message him first.
I asked about the coins and just a little back story on the coins. He gave a solid answer about how he was just a long time collector and decided time to sell it off piece by piece and how he goes few a few coins a day and that is a great way to 'rediscover' his coins.

Now this entire time I can't keep thinking 2 things
1) I've seen about 50 fake 1856 Flying Eagles so odds are simply against it to be real. Add to that it is some new seller on Ebay---the 'odds' of it being real are just super low.
2) That '6' on his coin looks really off.

So I asked the guy if we could meet as I am a state over and that I'd be happy to meet a bank of his choice. He fired back in all caps "NO" and that he won't meet. I said I can understand the concern but I brought up that just a day before I message him he had this exchange with some other Ebayer about his 09svdb:

": I live in Euclid next to Cleveland. Is there any way of meeting so I can check out the coin in person. Thanks!
A: Sure, please call me on Tel. 216-791-6638. I live by Shaker Square"

What a giant reversal all the sudden? I mean he was clearly open to meeting somebody and suddenly it is the worst idea ever.

So I finally asked him if I could call him. He said ok. I called and a woman answered who sounded 'youngish' middle age (I am no expert on guessing age via just a voice) when I mentioned coins she said it was her husband. I told him who I was and then talked coins. Long story----things just don't add up.
He slid into our talk a few times that he is selling 'as is only'. That is scam artists lingo right there. He also displayed the scam artists personality of 'smart but dumb'. What I mean by that is that sometimes he would talk like he knew coins (You would think somebody with a solid 09svdb and 1856 Flying Ealge and says collected for 60 years WOULD know quite a bit); BUT then he would seem to 'play dumb'. Like he had no idea that the 1856 Flying Eagle was rare. He referred to the 1856 as a 'starter' coin. He said it was a bad shape coin and that he just wanted to throw a few coins on Ebay to "learn how to sell on Ebay." What he is trying to do is to make people believe he is sold old guy who has no idea the value he has.
I flagged this coin and hope nobody buys it but because the red flags are just too numerous. One other BIG red flag.

The Ebay account is over 13 years old and he got no feedback for 12 years.

My big question is----how does a guy with 4 feedback over a span of 13 years can suddenly come on and list a few K worth of coins and nothing happen? I mean what about selling limit? Was his account 'grandfathered' in so he can sell all this??
I have plans....sometimes

Comments

• Options
    cwtcwt Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $15 standard shipping for a "starter" coin?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>">link >>

GACK!

Run, Forrest, Run!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just look at the five. Why use a dime for a call ?
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    26 bids and over $1300 bid so far?

Yikes!

Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    That S VDB does not look right for the rims and the mint mark and placement.
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    How can so many bidders be so clueless? image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    donzmedonzme Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just look at the five. Why use a dime for a call ? >>

Agreed. Looks like an altered 1858 to me.
  • Options
    Thanks donzme… I don't want to give too many pick up points here. But I do agree with the good CaptHenway on almost everything numismatically challenged.
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How can so many bidders be so clueless? image >>

Think there are only about 5 unique bidders....and only 3 of them above $100. Chances are at least ONE of them is a shill.

(Maybe I'm just making excuses, because I want to believe in the inherent intelligence of the human race.) image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I guess you can collect fake's forever they were even faking them here (US) at one time.image
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't looked at them

Odds now heavily favor a reported coin selling over it being nuked.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ray Charles (bless his heart) would turn it down.
  • Options
    planonitplanonit Posts: 525 ✭✭
    I had not really looked at the 09svdb because when I saw the 1856 my eyes immediately go to the 6 and I of course knew right then "Not my luck day----just another fake 1856" but that 09svdb is indeed off as well.

I just sort of assume that in a situation like this---if one is fake, so is the other.

Maybe that 1962 Penny is real!!! WOOO!!
    I have plans....sometimes
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Never mind running, I would assume that one would need a jet pack to get away from that "deal".

Sadly, the scammers ruin it for the sellers who have legit coins.
  • Options
    Reported.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    Last week at your coin club I saw a real one that one of our members brought in for show & tell. he has been into coins for over 55 years, and at one time a dealer with a store. He said that he believes that all the 56's were proofs.
  • Options
    I just looked at the 1909S V.D.B., and there is only a period after the V.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a wonderful coin if you ignore the fact that the "5" and "6" are the wrong shape.image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 996 ✭✭✭
    2nd biggest tell on the 185"6"(8) is that the center of the "o" in "OF" is not square. It is that way for the 1856 and some 1857s where the 56 dies were used......and that's where any bit of expertise I have ends.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    "service wear" sounds about right image
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I shot the dude a short note last night. He added it on that listing.

Surprised he did so but obviously he doesnt believe me
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    There isn't anything just "off" about the 1909S VDB coin...

The coin is a very obvious (and not very good) counterfeit. The entire bust is wrong, the rims are wrong, the mintmark is totally wrong, the details on the reverse are all wrong. The fields (on both sides) are flat - real coins then had a slight dish to the design on both sides. Anyone who has handled a real 1909 cent (from either mint) could tell at arm's length that this thing is fake.

I don't know anything about FE cents, but based on what I do know and have seen, that coin's a fake too.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
  • Options
    This is interesting.

As goose3 said, the coin is still up, the bids are still over $1300, but the seller added this to the description (I assume from Goose3):

----------
    Q: I can only assume someone prior to me has enlightened you to the fact that this coin is an 1858 that has been altered, and rather poorly at that. The 5 and "6" are completely wrong as is the inside of the O in OF. Frankly I'm shocked that there are enough ignorant bidders to run that up over its real value of a few dollars. I avidly collected Flying Eagles for years and at one time owned two genuine PCGS graded ones. Just thought I would let you know as I'm sure you know the risk involved should you sell this 1858 flying eagle. Good day. Aug-01-14

A: Thank you for your comments, I will post them with the coin.

---------
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reported.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it is one of those rare Small Letter 1856. Also the date is wrong. Just report it and move on. If you give a fake seller any credence, you only give him more reason to continue.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    coinguy1989coinguy1989 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Just look at the five. Why use a dime for a call ? >>

Agreed. Looks like an altered 1858 to me. >>

I was thinking more along the lines of a cast counterfeit.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Ended. Relisted as a fake.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    [l=the 09-s vdb]http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-S-VDB-Lincoln-Cent-/141358869417?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item20e9a52ba9/l] has a mm with the incorrect style and in a position that is publicly unknown to an authentic us mint die. (it is far too high and in the incorrect position)

the flying eagle cent is 99% authentic but altered.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

<< <i>Ended. Relisted as a fake. >>

I always wanted to put together a type set of fakes but thought it would be tough now with all the fakes from China it maybe easier

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file