Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Well...it finally hit the fan.

I don't want to be a downer since the National is going on and there are a lot of great things happening around that, but the crap hit the fan tonight as we sat down and looked at our family budget. My hobby line item was deleted because we cannot afford to have it in budget anymore. I had a feeling it was coming down the pipe at some point, which is why I've eased back on buying only things I know I can flip for profit.

My chosen profession is definitely not one of affluence, so I've never spent whopping amounts of money on it, but I did enjoy making small purchases here and there from time to time. Not leaving the hobby per se, but the well has dried up. Time to find some new focus for a bit and live vicariously through you guys. Just needed to vent.

Comments

• MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    Hey Bud, I feel your pain. I recently bought a house and am having to sell cards I really don't want to....If you make a few decent deals a year to "flip" and use proceeds to buy cards of your desire it won't "cost" you $ to be in the hobby, although it will take a little time/elbow grease to do so.

Consider if you collect cards from mid-60s/ 70s, you can pick up a few commons/minor stars per month for well under $50.

I've also realized that I can't afford certain cards from the pre-war era or higher grade major stars of the 50's era, so I have to find such cards in "under-graded" mid-grade condition (with eye appeal.) For example, I recently bought a '67 Mantle PSA 5 for around $125 that looks very close to a PSA 8 which would've cost me x3, x4 etc.

Consider that if you get well-priced cards now that you can sell down the road (minus the 15% resale fee) you could argue your purchase as an investment or at the very least "break even" price, you are not just throwing $ away.

You can still be involved in the hobby just pick a set like the 75 that is affordable, and marvel at other's more significant purchases until you can afford to be a bigger fish in the pond
  • Hobby isn't going any place that's the beauty of it. Just sit back and enjoy your collection as is for awhile. Or do what I did. I took everything I had(well most of it) that wasn't in my focus area and let it go to go after higher quality cards in my focus area. Couldn't be happier. We all go thru dry times small pick up here and there to quench that crazy thirst for new stuff helps get you through it until your over the hump again.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Had pretty much the same thing happen. We went on the Dave Ramsey budget for a few years, don't follow it to the T now, to get some credit card debt paid down. That cut into a lot of our entertainment budget and frivolous expenses. Now that we have taken care of that, things are a little more carefree on what we can buy. It was tough but int the end worth it. Hope that this work out for you!!
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭
    It's a hobby ... I come in and out of it .. most of us do at various points based on priority ..
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Chris, I admire your sacrafice. The guys are right. The hobby is going nowhere. It will always be here when the time is right.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Chris ... when I was forced to sell my decent sized collection a few years back because of family medical issues, I thought I was out of the hobby as well. Believe it or not, I eventually found these boards and have been having MORE fun that I did previously. I'm no longer wondering if the items I buy are going to keep their value, because I'm now buying strictly for the enjoyment. If I can make a few dollars on a flip, then I will use some of that money to purchase something that fits into my now very streamlined personal collection.

I really have a lot of fun talking to everyone on these boards about their collection and it's real fun to see some of the nice cards our fellow members have collected.

Stay active on the boards. You will still have fun!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with being in "holding" mode, Chris. It seems you have a good grasp on your finances and are very responsible. Living within your means will reap you benefits in the long run.
  • jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Stay active on the boards. You will still have fun!!!! >>

+1
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just borrow money from Doug..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    The nice thing about this hobby.. Is that most cards are liquid assets. I could safely assume a 89 griffey psa 8 is as good as atleast 30 bucks. I have tried to justify some of my purchases this way to my wife.. But she doesn't get it.. So I just tell her everything cost 25 bucks or less.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Guru, hang in there. I've learned from reading your posts, and nobody can ever take that knowledge from you. When you are in a position to jump back into buying, you will be even more knowledgable.

• << <i>

<< <i>Stay active on the boards. You will still have fun!!!! >>

+1 >>

+2. You're a real asset to these boards and you better stick around. Enjoy that 75 set of yours!
  • elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>Nothing wrong with being in "holding" mode, Chris. It seems you have a good grasp on your finances and are very responsible. Living within your means will reap you benefits in the long run. >>

+1

No one ever went to their grave wishing they had bought more cards.

If you have a shirt on your back, a roof over your head, food on your table, love among your family, and relatively good health... you are doing very well compared to countless others.

Besides, many collectors (myself all too included) spend so much time hunting for the next item to add to our collection, we rarely stop to enjoy what we've already collected.

Use this break to enjoy your collection, maybe (re-)organize it, and perhaps sell off the items you don't still really enjoy to pick up some more things you do.

Besides talking cards here, you could put together a web site showcasing your collection, get involved with TTM, or continue to enjoy the hobby in a myriad of other ways that are still budget friendly.

Snorto~

• Who knew snorto was so wise??
  • Thanks for the encouraging and kind words gentlemen. I really appreciate it. We too are doing the Dave Ramsey thing and have for some time now. We don't follow it to a "T", but are working our way through some things and I know we'll be better on the other side of things. I did remind my wife that we did not spend money on MLB tix that I "got for a gift for Christmas". So it was decided that we'd use that gift money on cards or a card. She's really good at being cool about my hobby and was trying to figure out a way to avoid this, but it just wasn't doable. So at least I know she gets it...which seemingly for a lot of people is half the battle (along with "Knowing"...little GI Joe joke there).

I walked out into the garage and starred at a dozen monster boxes full of crap I need to purge. I'm hoping there might be some nuggets in there I can cash in to save up. The other thing that I got to thinking about was someone mentioned their focus. I've kinda been all over the place with this hobby, so maybe now is the best to actually get "focused" on what is important and let go of the other stuff.

I've already paid upfront to set up at a show in September, so it might work out well. But even if I don't really sell anything at that show, I still need to get focused.

• << <i>

<< <i>Nothing wrong with being in "holding" mode, Chris. It seems you have a good grasp on your finances and are very responsible. Living within your means will reap you benefits in the long run. >>

+1

No one ever went to their grave wishing they had bought more cards.

If you have a shirt on your back, a roof over your head, food on your table, love among your family, and relatively good health... you are doing very well compared to countless others.

Besides, many collectors (myself all too included) spend so much time hunting for the next item to add to our collection, we rarely stop to enjoy what we've already collected.

Use this break to enjoy your collection, maybe (re-)organize it, and perhaps sell off the items you don't still really enjoy to pick up some more things you do.

Besides talking cards here, you could put together a web site showcasing your collection, get involved with TTM, or continue to enjoy the hobby in a myriad of other ways that are still budget friendly.

Snorto~ >>

+1 Yeah, I know...first world issues. It's all perspective. image
  • bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭
    I think a lot of us have been there at one point or another. Several years back I had to liquidate a bunch of stuff to take care of some things. I haven't gotten it all back, but it also eventually helped me finally define a collecting focus, which I had been sorely lacking.
    As long as you are healthy, everything else can be worked on over time...we take things for granted most of the time, but every now and then, I thank God that I am still here to collect what I like, and feel well doing it! Everything else is secondary, it really is, as long as you are healthy.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Hang in there Guru. Everything is temporary.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • ashabbyashabby Posts: 471
    I have mentioned in another thread . I started scanning in my cards this summer...And finding a lot of joy going thru what I already have. Found a few things I want to sell in the process. So my spending is down a lot and enjoyment is up. Scanner cost about 70.

On a side note I am financial advisor ...other than health issues...money is a big conflict in most houses. So not worth the stress. You will be fine at some point again.

Enjoy what you have
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya Chris

Sorry to hear about your budget. Like many, I've been there.

I agree with Scott - one can enjoy what they already have.

To be honest, I've got stuff in boxes that I haven't seen in years!

I wrote to someone this week that "Focus" and "Budget" are the hallmarks of a happy hobby experience. Yet, like ones "whale" hard to attain.

I've seen people come and go over the past 10 years. I sure hope you stay active.

There was an article online about the addiction of Facebook and how people obsess over how many positive hits they get...

Unfortunately, a place like this can work the same way.

Ideally, a good experience here shouldn't be predicated on how many high dollar items one can post about. IMO, passion "values" the collection.

Stay tuned in. image
    Mike
  • GuruGuru Posts: 3,127
    Thanks Mike! Yeah, absolutely...I have no desire to stop posting here and enjoying. As the time has passed this evening and I've been reading everyone's words, it's given me some great ideas on how to enjoy our hobby in new ways. That's what I love about this place. I will be the first to admit that sometimes I lose focus as I salivate over other peoples stuff here. But, as I checked in on my kids sleeping tonight I realized, you know what, I want to pass on the true richness of this hobby to them as well. I can do that by letting them go through my old stuff with me, let them pick out anything they want, sell the rest, and get some new stuff to admire.

So, this has been a good thread in my opinion. I'm walking away encouraged and I appreciate what everyone has said. Thanks guys! image
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

So, this has been a good thread in my opinion. I'm walking away encouraged and I appreciate what everyone has said. Thanks guys! image >>

Can I post the teddy bear now?

<< <i>

<< <i>

So, this has been a good thread in my opinion. I'm walking away encouraged and I appreciate what everyone has said. Thanks guys! image >>

Can I post the teddy bear now?

image >>

Sure!
    Mike
    OLD GUYS like Matt fall asleep early ... so here u go! HAHAHAHAHA

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

<< <i>OLD GUYS like Matt fall asleep early ... so here u go! HAHAHAHAHA >>

Hey lol
    That's a different bear! LOL!!

<< <i>That's a different bear! LOL!! >>

Yep lol. Supposed to be the sad bear Douglas
  • or246or246 Posts: 108 ✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the encouraging and kind words gentlemen. I really appreciate it. We too are doing the Dave Ramsey thing and have for some time now. We don't follow it to a "T", but are working our way through some things and I know we'll be better on the other side of things. I did remind my wife that we did not spend money on MLB tix that I "got for a gift for Christmas". So it was decided that we'd use that gift money on cards or a card. She's really good at being cool about my hobby and was trying to figure out a way to avoid this, but it just wasn't doable. So at least I know she gets it...which seemingly for a lot of people is half the battle (along with "Knowing"...little GI Joe joke there).

I walked out into the garage and starred at a dozen monster boxes full of crap I need to purge. I'm hoping there might be some nuggets in there I can cash in to save up. The other thing that I got to thinking about was someone mentioned their focus. I've kinda been all over the place with this hobby, so maybe now is the best to actually get "focused" on what is important and let go of the other stuff.

I've already paid upfront to set up at a show in September, so it might work out well. But even if I don't really sell anything at that show, I still need to get focused. >>

What I can tell you from experience with the Dave Ramsey plan, the stricter you stick to the plan the quicker you will get back into the hobby.
    Currently working on 1970 Topps Hockey PSA 9 set
    Hey guys

In talking with Chris - and the idea of enjoying what one already has? Here's a few scans of what I doing in terms of organization.

There's also stuff in closets that I can't get to - so if I didn't buy another item, I could spend some time reorganizing - here's what about 30 years looks like.

Junk on the desk:

And more and more stuff.

There's 2 closets to the right - more junk.

And this past year I picked up a safe and I'm trying to get as much into as possible

I'm lucky I have a wife who puts up this/me! image
    Mike
    Mike, I thought I was the only one who piled things up with absolutely no rhyme or reason, LOL!!

What years are vending cases?

Very nice assortment!

<< <i>Mike, I thought I was the only one who piled things up with absolutely no rhyme or reason, LOL!! >>

Funny you said that Tim. When I looked at Mike's pics, I thought to myself, "we are all the same" haha
    Hi Tim

I've got quite a mess!LOL

The vending run from 1979 to 1987. Missing 1983.
    Mike
    ALL u guys r sick! SICK I say!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

<< <i>Hi Tim

The vending run from 1979 to 1987. Missing 1983. >>

Boy, that is sweet! Who needs an IRA when you have cardboard gold like that, Mike! LOL!

<< <i>

<< <i>Hi Tim

The vending run from 1979 to 1987. Missing 1983. >>

Boy, that is sweet! Who needs an IRA when you have cardboard gold like that, Mike! LOL! >>

Thanx Tim.

I was very lucky - it sure wasn't skill.

That stuff was so much cheaper back around 1990. Back then I could buy vending cases for in the hundreds - except for 79 and 80.

The main reason I bought the 79T was to eventually put together a nice set and then sell off the rest in lots. Now, I know if the "run" is bad? I might not even find 1 centered Ozzie!
    Mike

<< <i>ALL u guys r sick! SICK I say! >>

But, I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.

Mike
    Geez...do I have to do everything around here. Be the sap and post the bear?

LOL, GURU!!!!

<< <i>Geez...do I have to do everything around here. Be the sap and post the bear?

image >>

Doug just wanted to cheer ya up Chris. LOL
    Mike
    I wonder who would win in a cage death match between sad bear and happy bear?

<< <i>I wonder who would win in a cage death match between sad bear and happy bear? >>

Sad bear after 3rd Round KO..

• esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    While I have been collecting, my thinking has been "I love everything I have. I would not sell a thing." However, when something has come along outside my budget, I have taken a harder line and reassess what I have. I realize I don't love everything. I can do without x, x and z. And I have always made the newest "must have" be attainable through sales.

Thinking about this, I decided to make a goal of having a "revenue neutral" collection this year - no new cash in - it all comes from sales. This year I have sold or earmarked for sale about 1/4 of my collection value-wise and haven't had a single regret. There is a liberating sense of realizing "I really don't need that" and letting it go. And, of course, there is the excitement that comes from "now I have xxx dollars to spend."

I hope you continue having fun. New cash is not a requirement.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>While I have been collecting, my thinking has been "I love everything I have. I would not sell a thing." However, when something has come along outside my budget, I have taken a harder line and reassess what I have. I realize I don't love everything. I can do without x, x and z. And I have always made the newest "must have" be attainable through sales.

Thinking about this, I decided to make a goal of having a "revenue neutral" collection this year - no new cash in - it all comes from sales. This year I have sold or earmarked for sale about 1/4 of my collection value-wise and haven't had a single regret. There is a liberating sense of realizing "I really don't need that" and letting it go. And, of course, there is the excitement that comes from "now I have xxx dollars to spend."

I hope you continue having fun. New cash is not a requirement. >>

The problem with this hobby is that there are so many directions you can go in collecting and it's hard to focus. I've just gotten back into the hobby the last six months and it's hard to figure out exactly what I want to do now that my allowance is bigger than it was the last time around.
  • belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

<< <i>While I have been collecting, my thinking has been "I love everything I have. I would not sell a thing." However, when something has come along outside my budget, I have taken a harder line and reassess what I have. I realize I don't love everything. I can do without x, x and z. And I have always made the newest "must have" be attainable through sales.

I hope you continue having fun. New cash is not a requirement. >>

Totally agree with this...good luck GURU, I love reading your posts so please stick around.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Moose1913Moose1913 Posts: 401 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I walked out into the garage and starred at a dozen monster boxes full of crap I need to purge. I'm hoping there might be some nuggets in there I can cash in to save up. The other thing that I got to thinking about was someone mentioned their focus. I've kinda been all over the place with this hobby, so maybe now is the best to actually get "focused" on what is important and let go of the other stuff. >>

This. THIS. THIS!

I've had three distinct eras in this hobby. I consider the first era to be from when I first started collecting up until my sophomore year of high school. The second era started after college and ran up until a few years ago. The third era is now.

I've pretty much kept everything that I collected from that first era and will hold on to all of that. Quite honestly, there is not a lot there that would bring in any decent money and I have a lot of memories attached to it. Most of those cards I pulled myself or purchased them at card shows with my dad.

The second era was simply madness. It coincided with getting my first "real" job, getting married, etc., so there was a lot of disposable income. I spent a lot of time chasing cards I couldn't afford when I was a kid or just picking up things that scratched itches. I ended up with 100s of PSA 10s of cards that I could purchase ungraded for a few bucks as well as some other nice high-end 90s stuff. I thought I was reliving my first era of collecting, but I know now that I was just wandering through the hobby. A lot of the PSA 10s I purchased were of cards I already owned and had pulled when I was a kid... and I still had them in my collection.

Which brings me the the third, and current, era. We started a family and I realized I had a lot of collectibles (from that second era) that didn't mean anything to me. For example, I pulled a 1989 Hoops David Robinson SP way back in 1989 when I was a kid. I still have it. I also have a PSA 10 that I bought during the second era. Why do I need the PSA 10? All of the joy and memories are tied to the card that I pulled and still own!

It became clear that selling off whole portions of my collection made the most sense if I wanted to keep going in the hobby. The first sale was kind of tough, but once I got past that it became really fun to get rid of stuff that no longer appealed to me. The cherry on top of it all is I've been able to sell almost everything I purchased for a profit. So, I've been able to put money into the family budget and also buy things that really add value and meaning to my collection.

It took me a while to realize that I had spent a lot of money on a lot of cards that were really disposable and could be picked up at almost any time. I'd much rather get rid of those and reinvest that money on cards that are truly difficult to obtain and other items that really fit my long-term collecting interests.

Anyways... sorry for the long story, but I just wanted to give you some insight on my journey through the hobby and let you know that trimming your collection is a fantastic way to finance and stay part of the hobby.
    I pick things up
    I am a collector
    And things, well things
    They tend to accumulate
    edit: I sure hope this doesn't come off as pontificating - cause that's not my intention. I'm here to learn and help when I can.

There's a thin line between a hobby and insanity.

You're always only one PSA 10 away from obsession.

Are you holding onto your collectibles? Or are "they" holding onto you?

Have you ever woke up in the morning and the first thing you think of is that "something or other" you just paid WAY over budget for and still you're trying to justify it?

Buying collectibles "may" be addictive like any other drug.

CU forum may be like Facebook. Validation of a collection is only as good as the acceptance one gets thru positive reinforcement. Why do you think the Registry got so darn popular?

IMO, collecting with a "focus" on ROI is work. And I already have a job.

Now I know this all sounds very cynical but I've lived thru ALL of this.

I realized I can't corner the market - I'm neither rich enough nor have the energy.

I invested very little money in purchasing a few items that belonged to deceased ML BB player Robert Gilchrist Smith but I spent many hours investigating his career and life and the lives of a few people he was connected to. I'm sure you get my drift.

My reality check: I can buy a 20K card. Show it off. Get 20 accolades. Then what? Did I buy it for myself? Or the accolades?

I learned my hobby is FIRST personal and only secondarily public as much as I choose to share it.

That's my contribution.

I apologize for the length.

Take home message? FOCUS and BUDGET

Mike
    esquiresports - rcmb3220 - Moose1913

All good points! Thanx for sharing.

Mike
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>edit: I sure hope this doesn't come off as pontificating - cause that's not my intention. I'm here to learn and help when I can.

There's a thin line between a hobby and insanity.

You're only one PSA 10 away from obsession.

Are you holding onto your collectibles? Or are "they" holding onto you?

Have you ever woke up in the morning and the first thing you think of is that "something or other" you just paid WAY over budget for and still you're trying to justify it?

Buying collectibles "may" be addictive like any other drug.

CU forum may be like Facebook. Validation of a collection is only as good as the acceptance one gets thru positive reinforcement. Why do you think the Registry got so darn popular?

IMO, collecting with a "focus" on ROI is work. And I already have a job.

Now I know this all sounds very cynical but I've lived thru ALL of this.

I realized I can't corner the market - I'm neither rich enough nor have the energy.

I invested very little money in purchasing a few items that belonged to deceased ML BB player Robert Gilchrist Smith but I spent many hours investigating his career and life and the lives of a few people he was connected to. I'm sure you get my drift.

My reality check: I can buy a 20K card. Show it off. Get 20 accolades. Then what? Did I buy it for myself? Or the accolades?

I learned my hobby is FIRST personal and only secondarily public as much as I choose to share it.

That's my contribution.

I apologize for the length.

Take home message? FOCUS and BUDGET >>

Fantastic post, Mike!