Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Holy Toledo!!! 1820 Bust dime in PCGS MS67 over $100k

2»

Comments

• Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sunnywood- I agree with you that the pcgs67 is a much nicer coin - I was wondering - if at a show a dealer had in his showcase, both coin - ngc67 & pcgs67 with one priced at $39k and the other at $100k - then I wonder what consumers would think of that dealer that was selling the both coins at those price levels. Then again, these coins are at auction, so the buyers are bidding on them.
    Easton Collection
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    For the money, I would much rather have the following half dime.

imageimage
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As always, I'm a little puzzled myself. If this were a 1822 or 1828 where the mintages are almost a tenth of the 1820, should we expect $1,000,000 coins for this series for those coins grading as high?

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    As always, I'm a little puzzled myself. If this were a 1822 or 1828 where the mintages are almost a tenth of the 1820, should we expect $1,000,000 coins for this series for those coins grading as high?

I always tried to predict prices for super rare or top pop coins and to this day not able to. I guess there are at least 2 folks that really want this coin. Simply amazing.
    Easton Collection
  • Options
    I see the bidding without the juice is $100k and I didn't win the Lottery - So I will not be coming home with this coin UGH!
    Congrats to the highest bidder - I believe that this is going to be a world record price for a mint state capped bust dime thats not a 1822!!!!

Can't wait to get to Chicago to see this coin!!!!!!
    Easton Collection
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    And the price moves ever higher....$117,500!!!

How much higher???
  • Options
    Bu the way, I was interested in that coin as well, and have dropped out. The good news is, this means there are possibly one or two newer super-high-end collectors. Previously, that would have been Pogue - Simpson - Gardner. But I suspect there are some new players, which isn't a bad thing (except it means I can't afford the coin !!!)

Also, this coin looks solid for the grade, but not monster eye appeal. Nice, yes, but not drop-dead.

Sunnywood
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Saw the coin today and it was worth the MS-67 grade. No marks that I could find, and the toning was so-so.

Still a very nice example of the date/variety
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I liked more the 1820 PCGS/CAC MS-63 dime I sold to a very nice fellow poster right here. >>

Having now seen the photos, I feel compelled to ask "why"?
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why?

value-wise this MS-63 1820 is a home run. i bought it from Stacks as a raw coin about 10 years ago.

Sure, it is not a 67 but there is no pretensions to being a 67. For the assigned grade it is an awesome coin and feel it is more original looking than the MS-67 graded coin.

The coin is an interesting blend of strong and weak strike in the stars. Cool!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Saw the coin today and it was worth the MS-67 grade. No marks that I could find, and the toning was so-so.

Still a very nice example of the date/variety >>

It is a darkish coin, but the GTGGS was comfortable with the 67 because all the high points and lighter areas showed no breaks in the lines and features to indicate a hit was present.

I guess the toning isn't as nice as other coins but I find it a nice looking coin.

At the grade level and variety type, would such a coin sell with a toning premium or tarnish hit to hammer?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a heck of coin, but I don't pay that much for condition alone. Rarity has to come into play. Here is an example of coin for which I paid a price on that level, and 1808 quarter eagle which is a true rarity. This one is graded AU-50 in a green label holder.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Nice coin, and probably finest known, but MS67?
    Uh?
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>TDN - All I can say is you gotta ask yourself "would I rather have the coin or the money in the bank". For different people there are different answers Text

Tomorrow - I am going to buy $100 in powerball tickets. If I win powerball, then I will buy this coin. You never know...Otherwise its a dream........ >>

just buy one ticket. your odds of winning are not increasing much by purchasing more than one.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW - I would need to win the lottery to buy this coin- so I will be buying my power-ball tickets!

I invest in the powerball,too.I will try to buy an 1894-S dime when I win. Your 1820 dime is by no means a dog but I would be out at 45K on it powerball or no.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    My show report on the coin and its results!!!
    First off, the coin sold for $152,750 and I am not aware of any mint state capped bust dime that ever sold for that high of a price!!! Personally, I am very impressed on the price realized for this coin. I did attend lot viewing and I thought that the coin was a mint state 67 and PCGS got the grade right. Also, the coin definitely deserved to the CAC! The Eye appeal and originality was just great. The surface quality and the strike of the coin was really fantastic and that got the coin to the 67 grade. With respect to its toning - it was slightly deep on the darker side toning- but not too dark to make it not attractive. So, in the end it is a solid 67. But the price is very very strong. I am impressed!
    Congratulations to the new owner of this coin.
    Easton Collection
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Barry... I actually thought you'd end up with it.
    It's a heavy hit @ $152K... Very heavy !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    not mine
    Easton Collection
  • Options
    The interesting point is, it took two determined bidders to get it there. As far as I know, neither Simpson nor Pogue were involved (yes Pogue Jr. is still buying coins on his own, even as the Pogue family collection is going up for auction). That means two "new" bidders with deep pockets. I noticed a lot of strength in bust dimes at Gardner too. So, maybe there is life after Simpson & Pogue ...

Sunnywood
  • Options
    personally, I feel that the coin market for bust coinage is alive and well. The ANA was very active for bust coinage. Of course, originally toned coins lead the way. Even at the higher price points. Bust coins without attractive eye appeal doesn't get those moon prices!

Easton Collection
  • Options
    PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭
    Cool coin. It does bring up a great debate. What would you rather have a very high end coin
    that is not extremely rare, or a rare coin that is in circulated condition. I'm sure it's a debate
    that has been discussed since people collected coins.
    EAC, ANA Member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file