Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski who?

Jeter passes Yaz
This is not about Jeter thread but I really want to know who is Carl Yastrzemski? Perhap I am too young but seldom do MLB network talk about this man. I look at his stat the man have 6 season avg over 300. Highest RBI total 121 which happen to be his triple crown season. Never had 200 hits season. Yet when I do search for his auto for same set his price higher than more popular HOF players.

Johnny Bench
Mr. October
George Brett
Stan the Man
Donnie baseball not HOF but Huge fans base from NY & LA

Yaz

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Better ask DanB image

He's been in the news a couple times recently w/his Ortiz comments as well. If he played for the Yanks, no doubt everyone would have heard of him for generations to come, but alas, he was a lowly low-key Red Sock.
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    YAZ
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

"...who is Carl Yastrzemski?"

Seriously?

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    Well he did say he was young.
  • Options
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Never heard of him

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    I grew up walking distance to the Big A ... I have always been a huge Sox fan ... When they came through in his final season I got into the stadium and we were all pissed he was not in the lineup ... the whole stadium was rocking when he came on to pinch hit. In his day he was very solid and the way he played the Monster was awesome!
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Paging Dan B
    Mr B. Mr Dan B?
    Line 1 please.

And Dan, in the name of all that is holy please don't switch to PM.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Never heard of him >>

Says the guy with the Red Sox logo. image
  • Options

<< <i>Jeter passes Yaz
    This is not about Jeter thread but I really want to know who is Carl Yastrzemski? Perhap I am too young but seldom do MLB network talk about this man. I look at his stat the man have 6 season avg over 300. Highest RBI total 121 which happen to be his triple crown season. Never had 200 hits season. Yet when I do search for his auto for same set his price higher than more popular HOF players.

Johnny Bench
    Mr. October
    George Brett
    Stan the Man
    Donnie baseball not HOF but Huge fans base from NY & LA

Yaz >>

I'll take it easy on your youth and grammar because you managed to spell his last name correctly. Who is Yaz? Only the 2nd greatest player in the history of one of baseball's top 4-5 most historical franchises. Somebody mentioned how well he played the Monster: the best ever at playing MLB's toughest OF position, winning 7 gold gloves. You mention his triple crown, a feat that wasn't repeated for almost 50 years. That year he hit over .500 for the last 2 weeks of the regular season to almost single handedly carry the Sox to the pennant. One vote shy of unanimous AL MVP that year. That was one of his 3 batting titles, and he barely missed a 4th in 1970. The first player in AL history with 3,000 hits and 400 HRs. Combine that talent with impeccable work ethic and a fiery intensity. THAT is who Carl Yastrzemski was/is.

Edited to add: and a first ballot HOFer. Look at the list of names in that club.
  • Options
    Big fan of his in my youth. Like him Lynn, rich and yaz.
  • Options

<< <i>who is Carl Yastrzemski? >>

He is the guy in this video in the outfield watching the home run go over his head and also the guy popping up to end the game:

Video
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>who is Carl Yastrzemski? >>

He is the guy in this video in the outfield watching the home run go over his head and also the guy popping up to end the game:

Video >>

Not nice! LOL!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options

<< <i>Big fan of his in my youth. Like him Lynn, rich and yaz. >>

Yes, Rich was awesome. I also enjoyed that you liked Yaz, Lynn, Rich....and Yaz.
  • Options

<< <i>YAZ >>

I really enjoyed both videos you posted. Of course I'm familiar with the song in the first link. I've played the VHS "Yaz: From Fenway to Fame" so many times that my 8 year old runs around the house singing that song.

The tirades towards umpires shown in the second video made me rethink my "classiest" comment lol, but that fire is what made him so great and why I and many New Englanders love him. And gotta love that time he made a dirt mound on home plate hahaha, CLASSIC!
  • Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    Yaz was the man in the 60's. It was great going to the Sox game with the Boy's Club. A bus ride to Boston. A free hot dog and soda. And a free bag of peanuts. All for $10.00.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Big fan of his in my youth. Like him Lynn, rich and yaz. >>

Yes, Rich was awesome. I also enjoyed that you liked Yaz, Lynn, Rich....and Yaz. >>

Rich Gedman?

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    The 2nd best player in Red Sox history was Ted Williams.
    The best player in Red Sox history had his contract sold to another AL team because the owner wanted to produce No No Nanette

And the reason Yaz's auto sells for more than Bench/Reggie/Musial/etc. is that Yaz signs for fewer sets.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options

<< <i>The 2nd best player in Red Sox history was Ted Williams.
    The best player in Red Sox history had his contract sold to another AL team because the owner wanted to produce No No Nanette

And the reason Yaz's auto sells for more than Bench/Reggie/Musial/etc. is that Yaz signs for fewer sets. >>

....and was as good as bench, better than Reggie, and not far off from Musial territory. You got me on the Babe, haha image
  • Options

<< <i>

And the reason Yaz's auto sells for more than Bench/Reggie/Musial/etc. is that Yaz signs for fewer sets. >>

....and was as good as bench, better than Reggie, and not far off from Musial territory. You got me on the Babe, haha image >>

I am a Yaz fan.. but he is a ways off from Musial territory!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

....and was as good as bench, better than Reggie, and not far off from Musial territory. You got me on the Babe, haha image >>

I am a Yaz fan.. but he is a ways off from Musial territory! >>

As a Cards fan, you're no less biased than I am image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I am a Yaz fan.. but he is a ways off from Musial territory! >>

Indeed.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    No bias here. The stats show that Musial was a much better player than Yaz..Even modern stats such as WAR have Musial waaaaay above Yaz. Yaz was a very very good player, but he is not close to Musial.
  • Options
    We can argue the distance, but I agree. Yaz not as good as Musial.
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭
    I always like Yaz whenI was first following baseball. Not sure exactly why per se though, other than he was a star at the end of his career at the time. I was living in Seattle area, but was a Dodger fan. I did buy the Yaz SI poster though to go along with my Garvey and Rose posters.

Yaz created one of my favorite stories as a kid though when I got a ball signed by him at the Kingdome one year (1980), and it happened to be his birthday. He was sitting on the first base line and a group of people approached him. He must have known them and he chatted for several minutes and they ended up leaving him a birthday cake. I was close by, so when they finished, I wished him a happy birthday and asked for an autograph and he obliged. The next year, I found out Boston would be back in Seattle on his birthday again! I had my mom bake him a cake and my plan was to bring it to him the way this family did. I was 11 and didn't know any better. The cake was a small baseball shape with "YAZ" and his number 8 below that. A friend and I carried this cake from my house, across the Ferry ride, walked to the Kingdome and then finally inside to the first base area. Deja Vu…he was sitting in the same spot (I guess he didn't have to do any pre-game workouts). My buddy and I wandered down to the field and tried to get his attention. In those days, the attendance was pitiful and there may not even be a crowed for a future HOFer like Yaz if you got there early enough! Anyway, we are standing behind him, literally only a few feet away and he wouldn't even turn around. We tried to get his attention to give him the cake, but he was having no part of this. Looking back now, I don't blame the guy, but as a 12 year old kid, I was bummed and upset.

We took the cake that he wouldn't even look at and ate it ourselves before the game started. I laugh about this now, but I was kinda pissed at the time. I still have that ball he signed for me. It was a practice OLB that showed some wear and he signed it on the side panel. I had gotten Ed Yost on the same ball earlier as well.
    I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool story, thanks for sharing! I would have been upset too image
  • Options

<< <i>I am a Yaz fan.. but he is a ways off from Musial territory! >>

Indeed. >>

His stats are more like Mr. May then Mr. Musial
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have found these player debates to be nothing short of magnífico. I have my own > or < scenario that has damn near caused a brain contusion, and I was really hoping for some clarity.

Was Ty Cobb better than Barry Sanders?
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have found these player debates to be nothing short of magnífico. I have my own > or < scenario that has damn near caused a brain contusion, and I was really hoping for some clarity.

Was Ty Cobb better than Barry Sanders? >>

Without a doubt lol!
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    I remember Yaz and the other greats of the game mentioned but who is this Jeter he refers to?
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    who is this Carl Yastrzemski of whom you all speak????????????????

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I see Yaz as comparable to Dave Winfield for his career while Musial usually was called the national league Ted Williams. Love Yaz and always liked his hard nose no nonsense style of play but I'd say the gap between him and Musial is pretty wide.
  • Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have found these player debates to be nothing short of magnífico. I have my own > or < scenario that has damn near caused a brain contusion, and I was really hoping for some clarity.

Was Ty Cobb better than Barry Sanders? >>

It's a good question, but neither were as good as Ditka.
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Never heard of him >>

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As a Cards fan, you're no less biased than I am image >>

I'm a Tigers guy and Yaz was/is nowhere near Musial. One guy led the league in dozens of offensive categories, won three MVPs, and was still a great player in his 21st season. The other guy was Yaz. I mean, Yaz was a fine player and an excellent defender but his rep exceeds his numbers. If you take away 1967-1970 (roughly 17% of his career), a 4-year stretch where Yaz put up 3 great seasons, what are you left with? A batting title and a whole bunch of .265/17/80 seasons. Don't get me wrong - Yaz was an excellent player but definitely not the all-time great that Musial was.
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think baseball fans was pulling everyone's leg.
    Daniel
  • Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    Captain Carl is "Captain Carl" for a very similar reason that Derek Jeter is the "Captain".

Different players, sure, but the heart and soul of their respective teams from start to finish.

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store