Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

EDITED: Widgets happen...

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
Post a widget you have acquired and why you bought it.

It was $15 at the local store and I was in a mood to send an economy submission of album toned Seated quarters to PCGS and needed one more coin.

Comments

• Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

Sometimes, after 5 years in the hobby, I'm like: I know the lingo. Then the word "dreck" comes along. I know what dreck means but don't know how it pertains to coins. That Jefferson doesn't strike be as a garbage coin.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That Jefferson doesn't strike be as a garbage coin. >>

Agreed, not dreck by any reasonable definition. Furthermore, I don't acquire "dreck". If you change the
    title to "incidental purchase" or some such, I might have something to post...
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the unofficial US Coin Forum dictionary:

“Dreck (n.) (See also: Widget): Elitist term for items that everyone except you collects. Especially common, modest grade items never found in named multi-millionaire Heritage auctions. Formerly a negative term, it has now co-opted by common collectors to refer to items they bought, but are embarrassed by. (See: Susan B. Anthony Dollars, Canadian Dimes).”

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options

<< <i>From the unofficial US Coin Forum dictionary:

“Dreck (n.) (See also: Widget): Elitist term for items that everyone except you collects. Especially common, modest grade items never found in named multi-millionaire Heritage auctions. Formerly a negative term, it has now co-opted by common collectors to refer to items they bought, but are embarrassed by. (See: Susan B. Anthony Dollars, Canadian Dimes).”

image >>

I like it!
  • Options

“Dreck (n.) ......it has now co-opted by common collectors to refer to items they bought, but are embarrassed by. (See: Susan B. Anthony Dollars, Canadian Dimes).”

image >>

This is in my file as NOT DRECK

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See! I can't even offend people properly! My target was the Canadian Dime collectors. image

I'm actually looking for a really nice SBA for my type set. A quest that's easier to say, than to complete. Not sure why they tend to be so beat up....
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't call anything like that "dreck".

I don't like to see disparaging of lower-priced collector coins or the people that collect them.
    (NOTE: I understand that is NOT what you were doing).

Anyway, to me, the only real coin "dreck" is copper-plated zinc cents that I dig up with my metal detector (those are usually corroded and nasty).
  • Options

<< <i>See! I can't even offend people properly! My target was the Canadian Dime collectors. image

I'm actually looking for a really nice SBA for my type set. A quest that's easier to say, than to complete. Not sure why they tend to be so beat up.... >>

HA! No offense taken. If you're looking for a striking toner, let me know. I have quite a few.
  • Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    You know what they say? One numismatists dreck in anothers treasure!

Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    I already wish I didnt start this thread. What can you do when your wife is in another country for a month.
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wouldn't call anything like that "dreck".

I don't like to see disparaging of lower-priced collector coins or the people that collect them.
    (NOTE: I understand that is NOT what you were doing).

Anyway, to me, the only real coin "dreck" is copper-plated zinc cents that I dig up with my metal detector (those are usually corroded and nasty). >>

I am quite offended by your remarks, dcarr. I'll have you know that I collect corroded copper plated zinc cents. I am having the best of them TrueViewed now.

I have collected some oddball, crazy, junky-looking coins in my career, but in truth -- corroded zinc cents aren't among them.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh, just another elitist(IMO) term Legend Lady likes to use. And many follow the lead on here. I guess it makes ya one of the "in" crowd.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I already wish I didnt start this thread. What can you do when your wife is in another country for a month. >>

I LOVE that you started the thread! I learned something new, and got to see a nice Jefferson, and look forward to hearing if you got good grades on the rest of your submission.
  • Options
    Dreck seems to me to be the term for all of my coins as they are not 5 and 6 figure coins. Seems that the term could be seen as derogatory to collectors and or hobbyists that are not of the elite that deal in the high dollar coins. As they say **it runs down hill and runs even faster from the top of a very high pedestal. OK rant over, I don't like the term as it is derogatory and to easily offends people. Some people like common coins or that is all they can afford and they should never be looked at in a derogatory way.

Now as for that nickel, i would be very glad to own that dreck.image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    one man's dreck is another man's grey poupon

This is another man's pocket pieces. I didn't acquire them. I witnessed them and asked if I could take a photo of them. And I asked him how long he's carried these and he said "19 years".

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What can you do when your wife is in another country for a month. >>

Now that would have been an interesting thread. imageimage
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I purchased one of those dreck Coins. No one here, not in a million years could ever guess who I bought it from either.

The POS fits my definition of dreck. It even has a green bean on it. One of the earliest green beans.
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

What is ones secretary?

Next I'll stay in the catorgory and take common sense for $200 Alex!
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The POS fits my definition of dreck. It even has a green bean on it. One of the earliest green beans. >>

OY VEY! Now we have old beans and new beans?image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, lookie here! I have one of those widgets, too. image

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

What is ones secretary?

Next I'll stay in the catorgory and take common sense for $200 Alex! >>

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    OK . . . I'll admit it . . .

. . . I'm a dreckaholic ! ! ! image]

OK then . . . Widgaholic ! ! ! image

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    RYK I really like that one.
  • Options

<< <i>Well, lookie here! I have one of those widgets, too. image

image >>

Perhaps i should have used the word widget in my title. Seems more appropriately aligned with the intent.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Well, lookie here! I have one of those widgets, too. image

image >>

Perhaps i should have used the word widget in my title. Seems more appropriately aligned with the intent. >>

Agree. Dreck is a disparaging term. Widget is less so, and more appropriate for a common and/or inexpensive coin.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

“ (See: Susan B. Anthony Dollars,

image >>

Very funny!
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, are you calling Canadian Dimes dreck!imageimage
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's about 8:20 am my time, and the title reads, "EDITED: Widgets happen". Given all the comments about Dreck I'm guessing the original title was' "dreck happens". IMO dreck and widgets are VERY different animals. Widgets are common date/mm coins that are found in abundance. They may, or may not, be in an attractive condition. Dreck are ugly, tasteless items. Of course, given how everybody's tastes are different, one man's dreck may be another man's treasure.

Here is a widget that I bought for $1.

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

“Dreck (n.) ......it has now co-opted by common collectors to refer to items they bought, but are embarrassed by. (See: Susan B. Anthony Dollars, Canadian Dimes).”

image >>

This is in my file as NOT DRECK

image >>

How does that saying go about putting lipstick on a pig ? ! ? !

J/K image . . . Cool SBAs there ! ! !

HH
  • Options

Okay, so I paid over a hundred for the coin. Is that a crime ? No. Is it against the law ? No. Is it stupid ? (that's a rhetorical question)
  • Options

<< <i>image

Okay, so I paid over a hundred for the coin. Is that a crime ? No. Is it against the law ? No. Is it stupid ? (that's a rhetorical question) >>

Well I must admit it IS a little better than this . . .

HH
  • Options
    lol HH
    Not much. Yours is precious metal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file