Home Metal Detecting
Options

July 26/27, 2014: First two days of the CTX3030: 2¢ piece, 3 IHCs, 4 silvers

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
After 5 years of using an e-trac, I decided it was time to try something different. The e-trac has treated me well and I debated if another detector would be worth it. It has found over 450 silver coins for me since '09 and is still going strong. But after moving a few months ago, figured might as well change a few other things as well. It arrived on Saturday.

I was in my old stomping grounds this weekend, so it was an excellent chance to try an area that the e-trac cleaned out pretty well over the past couple years. It took about an hour to figure out the basic settings, but then rushed out to test it out.

It started out slow. Or at least to me it did. I had visions of Barbers, Seated and silver dollars flowing out of the ground as if it was untouched territory. Maybe a little bit unrealistic expectations. Started out with several nails, and soon got a signal in an area I was over at least 10 times. Turned out to be a 1943-P war nickel! Alright, now we're talking. After not much else in that area, moved to another section.

Soon got a cent-ish signal. Didn't seem like it was all that deep, but an odd-sized copper disc came out. It didn't sound Canadian, so figured it was probably a 2¢ piece based on the age of coins found in other visits. Put it in my pocket. And a foot away got another signal. Dug down and found a small green disc, put the probe in and got a second green disc. After getting them home, they turned out to be 1883 and 1868 IHCs! Also got 3 wheat cents - 1910, 1919, 1936. Also got an old flat button.

Cleaned the odd-size coin and found out it was a 2-cent piece - 1864! It was pretty impressive that these things were still waiting to be found.

Sunday went back to the same spot. Found 7 wheat cents, 1908 IHC (didn't see any mintmark), a 1944-P Wartime nickel, 1904 Barber dime (someone was "jeln" way back then! Take that Dr. Scholl's), a small sterling silver ring (dropped within last month or two), a junk cross, older earring, pin with what looks like a pearl, and a really cool looking "GEM" lock. Any idea of age?

Overall the first two outings with the CTX were satisfying. Will have to continue to tweak settings to see if anything can be improved. One thing is it has a different weight distribution than the e-trac. Much more weight in the back, but at least it'll give my forearms a good workout.

Enjoy the horrible green disc pics. The soil is horrible on copper.

1st day green crusty-ness

Day 2

Two day finds

HH all!

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least I was partially correct on a Barber. And a counterstruck one to boot.image
  • Options
    3Legs3Legs Posts: 103 ✭✭
    I like that Barber!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that little gem or qem seems interesting
  • Options
    PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭
    Very cool counterstamped dime. That lock is a pretty nice piece as well.
    EAC, ANA Member
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work.... seems the new MD is working well..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on a great start with your new machine! image

No idea on the "GEM" lock. Is that actually a lock (does it have a keyhole or open in some other way?), or is it a pendant / key fob / other.. ?

I've played around with a CTX 3030 in a store for a few minutes, and the #1 thing I noticed right away was the weight distribution. Like your e-trac, my old Explorer is much more nose-heavy than the 3030.
    I thought this (the new 3030) was a great improvement that will reduce the strain on one's arm over a long detecting day.

I also like the GPS functionality of the 3030. I use a separate device to keep track of locations (and avoid getting lost), which is a hassle compared to having this functionality (and more) integrated in the detector.

-Z
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Congrats on a great start with your new machine! image

No idea on the "GEM" lock. Is that actually a lock (does it have a keyhole or open in some other way?), or is it a pendant / key fob / other.. ?

I've played around with a CTX 3030 in a store for a few minutes, and the #1 thing I noticed right away was the weight distribution. Like your e-trac, my old Explorer is much more nose-heavy than the 3030.
    I thought this (the new 3030) was a great improvement that will reduce the strain on one's arm over a long detecting day.

I also like the GPS functionality of the 3030. I use a separate device to keep track of locations (and avoid getting lost), which is a hassle compared to having this functionality (and more) integrated in the detector.

-Z >>

Thanks Zot! It looks like there's a small hole at the bottom of the lock. It's filled with dirt so I'd imagine a very small key could go in there. The top bar does move a little bit so I believe it was made to open. Not going to try too much to open it, might break it. So it's possible it could have been a pendant? Last year I found a small sterling lock pendant, but this one is quite a bit heavier. So maybe something like an old diary lock?

I haven't tried the GPS function yet, but one of the things they said you could do was track where each find was found, then overlay that display over google maps to create an overall map of finds from a location. There are a few other things I haven't touched yet like Target Trace. It seems to have a faster processor than the e-trac and can separate targets from iron better too.

What detector do you currently use?
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It looks like there's a small hole at the bottom of the lock. It's filled with dirt so I'd imagine a very small key could go in there. The top bar does move a little bit so I believe it was made to open. Not going to try too much to open it, might break it. So it's possible it could have been a pendant? Last year I found a small sterling lock pendant, but this one is quite a bit heavier. So maybe something like an old diary lock? >>

Sounds like a lock to me! (Diary, small "treasure box", etc..). For cleaning items like that, I'd recommend an ultrasonic cleaner if you don't have one already. They can be had for 50 bucks or less and do a great job in getting dirt out of small holes and crevices

<< <i>GPS function >>

I believe you can also record entire detecting trips and see on a map which area you've covered. That sounds like a useful feature to me. Particularly when detecting in wooded areas where everything looks the same, I'm sure I go over some of the ground several times while missing spots here and there.

<< <i>What detector do you currently use? >>

I mainly use the Minelab Explorer. I haven't had the chance to go out for a while now, but am looking forward to going over some of my old spots with the GPX 5000. I'm sure it will bring some of them back to life! image
    This will be an interesting experiment, as I have a few sites that have provided good finds - but I've absolutely hammered them to a point where you can go for hours without a single signal with my old machines.
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro