Home U.S. Coin Forum

Novice need help with 1931-S penny NEW PICS

As I've said before, I'm a sports card guy, not a coin guy. I am trying to sell off on eBay my small childhood collection from the early 1960s. How should I grade this one to list on eBay? I know nothing about grading coins.

[URL=http://s260.photobucket.com/user/dbuck01/media/IMG_0001-10.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s260.photobucket.com/user/dbuck01/media/IMG_0002-10.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

Comments

• FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't even try to offer a grade. Take some decent pictures, like these, and list it.
  • jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I was listing it I'd probably call it XF/AU (someone else might call it AU) --but-- if those pictures are at all accurate the grade isn't the important thing here. Lincoln cents aren't supposed to be white. If yours really is white, it's been messed with (possibly plated) and that's going to affect the value a LOT.
  • SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Possible PVC contamination, if so needs a soak in acetone.
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to sound harsh, BUT........it looks like someone cleaned it with brasso a long time ago.........It could just be the photo though

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cleaned and polished, corroded.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd buy it __ % back of grey sheet as an AU coin, and would probably sell it as "near AU" with a "buy back guarantee" if you don't like it. But I'm not a coin guy. I'm a janitor.
  • csdotcsdot Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭
    What happened to it? Looks like it has been burned with a cigarette.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

1) was this done on a scanner ?

2) is that lint on lincoln's beard?

3) that green speck on the left wheat needs to be professionally conserved.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Cleaned and polished then it grew that reverse spot.
    Looks like a victim of brasso or an eraser.
    It also has some wear, the wheat lines, ear, cheek.
    Since it's already cleaned and polished even if you conserved the spot away it's still a problem coin and very reduced in value.

Really hard to say a value, problem coins are like that.

I would describe it as "cleaned" and let the bidders set the value.

Ed
  • judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭
    I appreciate the comments and advice. Not being a coin guy, I really didn't know. It actually looks better than the scan.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the picture, there appears to be so much wrong with this coin that to hazard an opinion would be futile. Cheers, RickO
    Here are other pictures of the coins (sorry for the blur). It does not look whitish as it appears in the scans. It looks bronze as in the camera pictures. Still, I guess it has problems. Thanks to everyone for your comments and advise. I've listed it on eBay.

[URL=http://s260.photobucket.com/user/dbuck01/media/049.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s260.photobucket.com/user/dbuck01/media/047.jpg.html]image[/URL]

• drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the coin's weight?
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is the scan

When you post scans of coins, the scans will often look terrible, the coin will look like it has issues, and these responses are typical.

Post pictures from a camera.

Is that really a green spot on the reverse? What's that on Lincoln's beard?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    Thanks for your suggestions. I put it on eBay with scans and pictures. The pictures did not depict details very well. It brought $86.00. don't know if that was good or bad.

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for your suggestions. I put it on eBay with scans and pictures. The pictures did not depict details very well. It brought $86.00. don't know if that was good or bad. >>

I think you did well. Raw coins are a crap shoot and prices can be all over the place.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file