Home Precious Metals

Gold Bullion, what do you like and why?

lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
I like the bars in the assay cards.

It seems like the card adds a level of protection from fraud and may be easier to sell.

How about you?
LCoopie = Les

Comments

• gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    AGE's ~ liquid, recognizable, & America bullion coinimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like lower grade MS62 & MS63, slabbed PCGS Saints. You get a nice older, collectible, classic coin at close to spot price. Sooner or later these will start to dry up.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like the bars in the assay cards.

It seems like the card adds a level of protection from fraud and may be easier to sell.

How about you? >>

The key is "may" be easier to sell. Depends on your area and local venues. 95% of my sell opportunity is not local. You'll be lucky to get spot. A person who might buy such a bar from a local dealer, may not buy from you. That's why I like ASEs and for gold, GAEs or Maple Leafs.
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love graded Saints. I'll also buy other
    gold coins if their available at spot.
    Timbuk3
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold Eagles and buffalos because they are protected from countefeiting by the US Secret Service and have a large collector base.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1/4 ounce gold eagles if they can be gotten with little premium. They're easy to move, unlikely to be faked. You have the option to sell less than an ounce at a time.

If you have the opportunity to get PCGS, ANACS or NGC slabbed xf or better classic $5, $10, or even $20 pieces at a very small premium, I'd go with those, too.

I have many ounces in assay cards. But I've slowly sold out of most of them for the very reason that they can potentially be faked and are less likely to be discovered because of faith in a $.10 cent plastic case. Assay cards make proper weight and/or gravity tests more difficult to take and ascertain. They keep you from feeling heft with your hands, which is something I put a lot of stock in. And even PAMP and Credit bars are not as well known as gold eagles. The less well known brands are just that--less well known. That's the opposite of what you want with your gold holdings.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Graded 62-64 Saints and MS62-63 $20 Libs. It's hard to beat the small premiums on choice BU Saints. If one puts together a date run of MS62 $20's from around 1891 to 1928 you can cover 35 or more
    dates. This could easily qualify for a "collection" and still be essentially bullion. In my mind that would give them the very least potential of ever being confiscated. It's no guarantee they won't ever be confiscated but
    you'll stand a better chance than the guy with a tube of 2013 AGE's or 2 dozen MS64 Saints all dated 1908 NM, 1923, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28). An XF/AU date set from 1850-1928 would be another way to approach it.

I also like the AGE's and Buffs based on what derryb said. Even for the AGE's you could do a date run from 1986-2014. Even a budget minded collector could build a type set of larger gold coins (Type 1, 2, 3 $20 Lib,
    Saint NM and WM, AGE, Buff, proof AGE and Buff)
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thank you forum friends
    LCoopie = Les
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold Eagles and buffalos because they are protected from countefeiting by the US Secret Service and have a large collector base.

I agree.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Gold maple leafs for me. Government issued coins, much harder to counterfeit than bars, .9999 pure, popular/recognized world-wide.

I dislike gold bars in general. Especially in assay cards where I can't weigh/measure them accurately. It's just too easy to mask the weight and/or thickness.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gold Eagles and buffalos because they are protected from countefeiting by the US Secret Service and have a large collector base.

I agree. >>

imageimageimage
  • tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I only have a bit and got them from different places and different sizes as well. But I sure like the feel of a 1oz gold in my hand.
    My pamp is nice but it is in assay and just not the same.

COA
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of it.

I have no qualms about my continental collection - every continent but antarctica - and shopping right, there is no issue with the 'premium' difference that derry is trying to protect against.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice scrap jewelry. You can usually get for melt or less. Makes nice presents, is transportable and won't be confiscated. Can always be sold to a refinery and exchanged for bars or coins.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Fractional, because I can afford it. I buy small amounts.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486

<< <i>I love graded Saints. I'll also buy other
    gold coins if their available at spot. >>

I like the added numismatic value, I've sold some paper gold holdings and converted to them.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CRIMEX, I mean COMEX contract futures because a promise is a promise. image

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    I love the pandas!
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>CRIMEX, I mean COMEX contract futures because a promise is a promise. image >>

I have been wondering for a long time what fools were buying the COMEX scam?
    Nice scrap jewelry. You can usually get for melt or less. Makes nice presents, is transportable and won't be confiscated. Can always be sold to a refinery and exchanged for bars or coins.

Mr. T, is that you? I love it when a plan comes together!

I knew it would happen.
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Generic modern gold commemorative coins and AGE or Maple fracs.
    . . . OH . . . And Engelhards in assays. image

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    My top three faves:

$20 Saints... there's nothing like classic U.S. gold in that design, size, and relatively close to melt.

1920s to 1940s Mexican gold 50 peso coins... can't beat the size and heft, with a nice design to boot. They almost make Saints look undersized.

1 oz. .9999 gold Buffalos. Love the purity and design and of course it's an official U.S. gov't bullion coin so there's no argument about purity, etc.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice scrap jewelry. You can usually get for melt or less. Makes nice presents, is transportable and won't be confiscated. Can always be sold to a refinery and exchanged for bars or coins. >>

What he said...me too.
    Liquid as water.
    Nice scrap jewelry. You can usually get for melt or less. Makes nice presents, is transportable and won't be confiscated. Can always be sold to a refinery and exchanged for bars or coins

Seriously, if you can get it for melt or less - what do you get when you sell it?

2nd Question - are you talking 24K, 22K, 18K or 14K? Is the liquidity the same for each? Do you get the same percentage of melt for each when you sell it? Educate us!

I knew it would happen.
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fractional AGE's cause that's all I can afford. I do like the RCM 1 oz. gold in the assay card. jmbullion has very competitive prices. Currently 2014 rolls of ASE's are $461.80 with free shipping, prettty tough to beat that price.
    jmbullion
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand people who buy jewelry for gold holdings.

It's not a standard weight. It's not a standard purity.

That means that it has to be weighed and acid tested (or spectromity tested, whatever the new technology is). Then its value has to be calculated based on the weight and purity, assuming the parties can agree on those qualities. And there is no way I'd ever accept it at anywhere near melt. I suspect I'm in the majority on that point.

Much of the world would laugh out loud at "gold" jewelry at less than 18k. Unfortunately, 18k jewelry in America is almost unheard of, let alone 22k or higher.

Don't even get me started on jewelry with stones.

Forget purity (the most important aspect), and weight. What if it's the wrong style or the wrong size for the person you're dealing with.

These are all reasons that bullion is bullion. Known weight, known purity. One size fits all instead of one size fits very few if any.

I can see the rationale behind having a few pieces of gold jewelry maybe for barter, or because you like them, or because you got them at an incredible price. My baht necklace qualifies for all three.

But run of the mill bracelets, necklaces, or rings? No. It's not bullion.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice scrap jewelry. You can usually get for melt or less. Makes nice presents, is transportable and won't be confiscated. Can always be sold to a refinery and exchanged for bars or coins

Seriously, if you can get it for melt or less - what do you get when you sell it?

2nd Question - are you talking 24K, 22K, 18K or 14K? Is the liquidity the same for each? Do you get the same percentage of melt for each when you sell it? Educate us! >>

I usually buy at 75-98% and sell at 96-98%. I buy 14k or better. I do not sell at "cash for gold". Many times I can buy nice looking jewelry with stones and sell it for double what I paid. And the buyer is very happy.

I know many who have retail shops that make 5x their money buying nice sterling jewelry. Most small necklaces have only $2-3 in silver but can be sold for $10-15. Or they buy decent engagement rings for $400 and sell for $800. I'll buy those $400 rings all day long.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like jewelry too but I only buy plain wedding bands . I buy the 14k stuff and it will sell very easily on ebay for over melt .

Have a look at the scrap gold category sold listings

• bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭
    I'm partial to 1/4oz AGE's. Although, I like getting the commemoratives or the first spouses now and then to mix things up if I can get them near melt. Although, I'm looking at getting a pamp pendant for a friend but they have a nasty premium so still debating.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • SlangNRoxSlangNRox Posts: 774 ✭✭
    Favorites are the 50 peso, .99999 maple leaf and buffalo in that order. Hard to beat that big 1.2+ oz 50 peso coin. Still kicking myself for not buying a whole date set instead of getting 1 1923 pcgs ms 63 for $550.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fractional Eagles and foreign gold coins for spot with a tiny premium; roosters, ducats, pesos etc.
    I have a little pile of the latter and I keep them in the SDB so I don't wind up like Donald's Uncle.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gold Eagles and buffalos because they are protected from countefeiting by the US Secret Service and have a large collector base. >>

Really?

You can buy all the AGE's variation on this site. Of course they are counterfeit. I prefer the PAMP oz bars which btw, are recognized worldwide even more than the AGE's.

counterfeit gold eagles.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Gold Eagles and buffalos because they are protected from countefeiting by the US Secret Service and have a large collector base. >>

Really?

You can buy all the AGE's variation on this site. Of course they are counterfeit. I prefer the PAMP oz bars which btw, are recognized worldwide even more than the AGE's.

counterfeit gold eagles. >>

Counterfeit AGEs would likely be investigated by the SS while bars probably wouldn't be.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like american bullion best
  • ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭
    I prefer 1 oz Gold Pamps for bars.
    For graded gold, I have been a big fan of UHRs (MS70PLs), Saints (MS65) and $50 Mexican Pesos (MS65).
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
  • nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    I like whatever is made of gold! image
    Low purity better than 9999, because of the "warmer" color.
    Don't believe in graded bullion (I have some Pt eagles - jmski52's fault! LOL) but it makes sense for authenticity purposes in old coins.
    Bars have less appeal, even though I own a few (Degussa ingot-style my favorites)
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

"...that's all I gotta say 'bout dat."
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Really?

counterfeit gold eagles. >>

Counterfeit AGEs would likely be investigated by the SS while bars probably wouldn't be. >>

True, but the loss would have to be in excess of 100k before the ss steps in.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."