Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The 1967 Canadian Proof Set - Once a Big Deal, Now Forgotten

Many collectors like to set aside coins that were minted in a year that was important in their lives. Most often it might be birth year set or a high school or college graduation. I graduated from high school in 1967. The U.S. coin set that was issued that was a Special Mint Set, which was not very special and not very exciting.

One of the big items that year was the 1967 Canadian Proof set which marked the 100th anniversary of Canadian de facto independence from Great Britain. The cent through dollar featured native Canadian animals on the reverse, but highlight of the set was Proof $20 gold coin.

Many U.S. collectors had a strong interest in this set with the $20 gold coin, but for them it was "forbidden fruit." The Gold Surrender Order, which had been in effect since 1933, expressly denied American citizens the right to own these coins. The only option was to bring the coins in from Canada illegally. The Canadian mint did issue a set with a silver medal in place of the gold piece, but that hardly seemed worthwhile.

One of the numismatic magazines, I think it was "Coins" sent a writer and photographer to Canada to write and article and grab a photo of the coin. The photographer took a couple of regular pictures of the piece a few Polaroid shots. In the end "Coins" ended up putting one of the Polaroid shots in a colorized form on the front of the magazine because that regular shots did not provide a true reproduction of the coin.

In December 1974 everything changed when President Gerald Ford ended the ban on American gold ownership. A number of the 1967 Canadian sets were brought into The United States, and they were popular for while, but then interest died. Today I have heard stories that a number of these sets have been sold for scrap, and today one can find them at coin shows for around melt.

imageimage

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen some very nicely toned silver coins out of these sets.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭
    I'd hang on to what you have. Many were melted for the silver, not the gold. You can find them at coin shows up here, but they are far from scrap. I 10 years, you'll have a set that no one has.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The price I paid was melt for the gold coin; the rest came for free. One of them has a scratch and is not very nice, but that did not matter in the context of the deal. I think that the gold piece is a beautiful coin. The only reason why I sold the first set I owned was that the price offered in the 1970s was a number I could not refuse.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Lovely set, I love the centennial reverse designs. That may be the first gold coin from 67 I've seen. Very nice.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    All the coins look familiar, especially the silver ones that I've often seen with amazing toning, here in this forum mainly, but I had no idea about this story. Thanks for posting it along with these great images.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    The 1967 gold set was the 1st gold coin I ever bought (early eighties).

I now have 3 sets with the gold (2 sets in the original cases and boxes). In the US, at least around here in CT, they are offered at a slight premium to bullion.

I also have 4 or 5 sets with the sterling silver medal. All deeply toned. Try to find one that the medal has not toned.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    I have a number of the silver sets that I've picked up for bullion down here including one beautifully toned set direct from the felt lined box. I've never seen a set complete with the gold coin. Alas I fear the gold coin is tossed into the melt bucket in Australia as it has little perceived numismatic value.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ok, it is a beautiful set. However, even in extreme high grades like Ms 65 etc, it is not worth what other coins in that grade are worth.
    simply, there are just way too many in way to many combinations.
    I sold one a couple of years ago( year of the Rabbit) to a collector in Hong Kong... he did not buy it for the Gold piece. He bought it because the pictures posted on the bay showed perfect coins, although toned.
    I eventually asked him why he spent $ 1000 +. his answer surprised me. Because it is the year of the Rabbit and your coin is the best flawless Rabbit I have seen on Ebay.
    so fellows, it is not always the gold, or the silver.... sometimes there are other reasons..
    It is too bad that many of these Gold coins have been, and still are melted simply for the Gold. But, There are just too many to eventually be worth anything else.
    Sorry Syl, I do strongly disagree with you on this one, as 10 years will not make any difference to this set of coins. there are just tooooooo many. A side story:
    a few months ago I had an opportunity to buy a set with the Gold piece. I offered the seller (a lady) CAN $ 750. (a extremely fair price) she said: are you for real? This is worth several 1000nds. My parents left it to me with a note never to sell it for less than $ 2000. She also said ( obviously a lie( she turned down close to 1900 from two dealers, one of them being JM in Vancouver. I said: If Jo offered you that kind of money, you should have taken it.
    My believe is that the 1967 centennial issue was the first test by the RCM to see how collectors would react to fancy coin issues. Hence, the onset of the RCM motto" lets take everyone for a $$$Coin$$$ride" was born.
    And we all know what happened after that... and is still happening.... unfortunately whit great success.....Sorry guys, as nice as the whole set is, it is just simply worth the metal....
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    According to Mr. Pittman, the die used for striking the gold coin was the hand engraved original..
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    We always want that which we are forbidden to have.

Figure out what that is today, and sell it, and you'll be a wealthy man.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought mine for scrap too.

Really a beautiful set.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice set... it would be interesting to see how many of the sets containing the $20 gold have survived. I think most of us would be alittle surprised.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I'm betting more $20 pieces have survived on their own compared to the number of complete intact sets. So many sets are broken up by dealers every year, for private collection spurrier sets, or to sell piece meal.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    keep in mind, there are three different sets for 1967- the one with the $20.00 gold, the silver medal and then the regular set

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Sad to admit, but I remember when this set came out. The prohibition on the gold coin seemed unfair at the time, altho really immaterial to me since I was still in elementary school.

I've always thought, and still think, that this is one of the prettiest set of coins that actually circulated in the 20th century. Simple but strikingly effective designs and the toning picked up from the box just adds to the attraction for me. I've owned a couple of the cent thru dollar sets "forever" but never got around to buying the "big" one altho having many opportunities to pick up a set near spot for the $20; there was always something else.

Thanks for sharing the pretty pix Bill!

imageimageimage
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!