Home Metal Detecting

July 20, 2014 - Large cent, couple buttons, small silver, half crotal bell

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
Got out today to the same place. Some older stuff is starting to yield itself. Got a couple flat buttons, half of a crotal bell (any idea of age?), belt buckle. Also got what looks like maybe a big suspenders clip, but there are two holes on the side, so maybe some kind of award piece? Also got a sterling silver clasp... checked for the rest of it, but no chain. At least it's silver (marked 925). Got a wheat cent as well. Later in the hunt got a cent signal and dug down a few inches... was super surprised to see a big green disc come out. Rechecked and got another signal (with the pinpointer), but it was a nail... turned out several nail fragments were in the vicinity, so I'm lucky to have found it. I believe it's 1837, with the modified head styling. What do you guys think? HH all!

Dirty

Comments

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    Double check your finds guys. Just found out this thing is Sterling Silver!

Found it the same day as the LC. It felt too thin for a bird band but decided to hold onto it just to make sure. It looked like any other piece of junk stainless steel or metal. Broke out the magnifying glass today and saw "GFB STERLING" with 3 stars. Turns out to be some kind of pipe band. Still looking at age, but looks to be early 20th century. Man, you never know what could come up. HH all!

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice bell. i found a few of them. nice scores
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice large cent.... and that pipe band is cool too.... Cheers, RickO