Home Metal Detecting

Some July 2014 finds, few silvers - one without the detector!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
Things have been a bit slow lately, but getting out here and there when I can. Decided to try a new spot the other day (Monday?) and was hoping for a little silver, and fortunately a 1957 Roosevelt came to the rescue.

The day before I was throwing some quarters into a change bin and heard an odd sound. It was either silver, or a half dollar. Frantically searched through and found a 1964 quarter! Who needs a detector? First silver change find in years.

Got out Tuesday to the same spot as the silver Roosevelt, and not much to speak, but got some pewter spoon fragments, which was a surprise. they might be older. Should have taken pics, but I'll try to get some shortly. Also got some kind of pin. I can't tell what it's made out of. Didn't signal as silver, but it's an odd shape which may explain it. The back part fell off and the pin rusted away. Since it didn't ring like silver, I wasn't sure, but rubbed it and there was no flaking, etc. Got it home and cleaned it up, it has marcasite throughout it. Cleaned the smaller areas and crevices and it all looks solid. Maybe it's older, but I don't understand why this piece wouldn't have a stamp on it. The back piece that fell off is definitely junk metal and was soldered on at one point. Any input?

Had some time today and hit the spot again. Started slow, but eventually found a 1937-D Merc. Decided to work that area a bit harder and soon got a deep promising signal. It was pretty deep, and out pops a clump of dirt with some silver peeping through! Always a rush pulling that dirt apart to reveal something that's been untouched for years. Turned out to be an 1892 Barber Quarter. She must've circulated for years before being dropped... looks like an AG3. First Barber quarter in a while. Then about an inch deep an IHC came out. What?? It was super shallow. Haven't even looked at it yet. Then next to it another deep signal... a wheat cent. Couldn't figure out the depth thing, but it keeps it interesting.

oh yeah... forgot to mention a flat button was also in the area... maybe first half of the 1800s... getting interesting now.

All for now, hope to get out more soon. HH all!

Dirty

Front cleaned

Back cleaned

What's that in the clump?

Oh yes, it's a blurry Barber quarter

All. That thing holding the pin up is the rusted out back piece that was also in the hole.

All back

Comments

• WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Great finds, especially the Barber Quarter! image

Can't help much on that pin. Perhaps silver looking, from the pics. Could any stamp have been worn away? Or maybe it was some sort of homemade piece (i.e., not professionally made)? Just a couple of guesses.
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    92-37-57 You know how to find the spots that people have lost change for years.image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the Barber quarter find. First year for those, too! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    thanks guys! Seems like there's potential for a little bit of everything here. Here's a pic of the other stuff:

set of keys, including two for a Cadillac! I'd say they are 1980s era. Bunch of spoon pieces, some look older. flat button, junk two-piece civilian button, two NH highway tokens (I believe people just tossed them after the tolls stopped taking them), condom wrapper from the "Safe Sex Corporation" - looks vintage. the IHC is 1901. Couple other misc. goodies. HH all!

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice little find ya got there, wtg image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice vintage US Navy button, there.

I remember the first time I dug one of those old condom wrappers. I was a young teen and didn't know what it was. Gave me a jolt when it first popped out, too- I thought I had a gold coin at first.

What's the little charm with the running guy? Silver? Looks like he has some lettering on him: "W W"?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice bunch of silver...you have an old site there..... Cheers, RickO
  • PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭
    Very nice finds. That makes me motivated to go out and do some detecting this week!
    EAC, ANA Member