Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1804 10C JR-2 14 Star Reverse XF details just sold on GC not bad looking

Text

The damage on the coin is mostly on the reverse if my eyes are working and please correct me if I am wrong But the sales price seemed low?

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    A lot of money for a dead looking coin. Both sides have been 'processed'.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what am i missing. this coin in xf on grey is $25k. certainly it isn't that overrated on the pricing guide?

55k in au and half a mil in ms60.

$9k for an early meaty coin sounds good to me, albeit burnt, envion dmg and scratched. so long as it hasn't been repaired.

here are some comps for conversation sake

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    That Lance was my thoughts also as I was watching the auction. Could it be because they listed it as a 14 star revers without the JR-2 designation? When you enlarge the pics the coin does not look terrible, you can see the damage but I was looking through some past sales of "damaged" coins and they sold for a decent amount more than this one. Any ideas as I seem to be missing something also. Could it be as simple as bad promotion?
  • Options

<< <i>That Lance was my thoughts also as I was watching the auction. Could it be because they listed it as a 14 star revers without the JR-2 designation? When you enlarge the pics the coin does not look terrible, you can see the damage but I was looking through some past sales of "damaged" coins and they sold for a decent amount more than this one. Any ideas as I seem to be missing something also. Could it be as simple as bad promotion? >>

idk. i've seen coins valued at 25, 50k sit for under $10k before, even highly desirable CC mints but sit probably due to environ damage.

i can think of some seated halves and seated dimes that sat idle for a while but bust coinage is another matter entirely.

i did not inspect the coin so maybe there is more going on than meets the eye?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw this too, and thought it went cheap considering how much a regular graded coin is. I paid 48k for a pcgs 45 last year, and Mine Is the jr 1 which is a little cheaper. There are several coming up shortly

heritage is reselling the Jr 2 PCGS 45 CAC I bid on but lost 2 years ago. It went for a staggering 80K+ , it had only sold for around 60 something a year prior. I don't think it will get the same bidding attention this go around with Gene Gardner's 2 AU's Both JR 1 and JR 2 coming up in oct.

I don't care so much for the variety, just like the date in general.
  • Options
    IRC not the same coin but that shows pricing I guess. I just did not think it would be that much of a difference.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It sold for $18K in 2011

And $13K in Feb-2014 >>

WOW! that is the same coin. Somebody got a rip!- and somebody else got a bad downgrade...
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    Why are the 2 sets of pics on HA so different. The one in the holder looks like a completely different coin? from 18 to 9 a 50% loss wow!!! When you look up the cert it shows no previous sales. Is the difference in the wording on the label such that it warrants that much of a drop in price? Someone was trying for a different grade/designation.
  • Options

<< <i>Why are the 2 sets of pics on HA so different. The one in the holder looks like a completely different coin? from 18 to 9 a 50% loss wow!!! When you look up the cert it shows no previous sales. Is the difference in the wording on the label such that it warrants that much of a drop in price? Someone was trying for a different grade/designation. >>

heritage has obviously offered 2 sets of images over the years for many their listings. 1 large close up set are intentionally overexposed/diffused to show the surfaces despite image quality and the slab shots are usually for quality despite surfaces.

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Are you saying the $18K in Heritage sold in 2011 and the greatcollection sold now ($9K) is the same coin? If so, someone did take a bath on it. image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    That is exactly what is being said. I would expect to see it for sale again very soon. Could be in a different holder again trying for a different designation.
  • Options
    OK, I'll admit it.....I am the one that purchased this coin on GC last night. And, yes, this coin was previously housed in an NGC AU-stained holder and sold in 2011 on Heritage for $18,400:

1804 Dime NGC-AU stained $18,400

Not sure why the seller didn't just send it back to NGC to be reholdered.
  • Options
    Just got the coin today:

[URL=http://s92.photobucket.com/user/g048406/media/075_zps7465b030.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    [URL=http://s92.photobucket.com/user/g048406/media/072_zps66b62fb6.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Beautiful coin. AU+ details with slightly rough surfaces. Certainly not stained. Coin is not as white as the pics show.....more of a light grey color. I do not believe the coin was cleaned and there are no hairlines. Not sure what the 'issue' is, but, I believe a TPG will go with the catch-all environmental damage notation.
  • Options
    looks pretty nice.

that low angle lighting sure make the details appear higher relief than they are! (not criticizing, just stating the obvious)

maybe not cleaned but probably is but for sure it is burnt.

i'd still be happy to own it. image

• Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats on the 1804 dime - really tough coin as you know. Looks flat but ok not terrible.

Easton Collection
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny how small the coin world is...how many times has someone started a thread on a coin only to have another forum member with a history, close connection or in this case the new owner himself chime in to the thread
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    I really like it!

• Options
    Looks like it saw some heat was possibly dipped and then retoned. That is a great pick up as a friend of mine was after that one. You got it at a great price compared to past sales of the coin and it is a tuff coin to find at that price.
  • Options

<< <i>Funny how small the coin world is...how many times has someone started a thread on a coin only to have another forum member with a history, close connection or in this case the new owner himself chime in to the thread >>

You are sooooo right.
    A few years ago, my coins were robbed. One of the coins that were stolen, I had sold on eBay to Daniel Carr ( 1872-cc $10) Daniel posted about it here. Someone saw the post and told me about it, so I replied and gave a list of all the stolen coins. Someone spotted the list and recovered all the coins and I found out about this at this forum. All that happened in 2 weeks time.....it was amazing.
    If you're curious about what happened

A small community, yes...........but, the guys at this forum are GREAT. I will never forget how you guys saved me.
  • Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rare coin!
  • Options
    Very nice acquisition g048406, believe also brought up in topic concerning shill bidding. Any thoughts?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file