Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1976 Topps Baseball Wax Trays in Triplicate

I have always been fond of wax trays~the packaging and the graphics and the different ads on back of different trays from different years over time. The trays from 1977 and earlier are also especially difficult to find, and this year, 1976, is one of my favorites. As the cellophane wrapping on these trays was especially thin and brittle, these trays were also prone to splits or tears around the cardboard corners of the tray. I have never even seen a photo of a wax tray from 1973. If anyone here has one, please post it!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Cool trays, Tim! Thanks for sharing. Do boxes of 70s wax trays ever come up for sale?

Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cool trays, Tim! Thanks for sharing. Do boxes of 70s wax trays ever come up for sale? >>

There was a case of 79 trays that sold last year. I have never seen a case or even a box come up for sale earlier than that. In fact, I have never even seen an empty box for 78 baseball trays. If anyone has one, please PM me as I am actively looking for one.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    Tim,

Love the Trays!! I could look at unopened all day! If I had your collection, I'd probably never leave the house!! image

Jeremy
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Sweet trays!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Tim ... not mine but I HAD to post it!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Tim ... not mine but I HAD to post it!

image >>

Doug, that is my pack, both literally and figuratively, LOL!!! I got it from a guy who was a group of 5th series packs from a once-full box, and I managed to get that one separately.

• Options
    HAHAHA ... I THOUGHT it looked familiar!!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Nice stuff Tim!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    The following were taken from a May 2012 thread and were originally posted by John Moran. Edited to add: Check out the wholesale prices of the cases!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    I've seen those pics, Doug, but have yet to see even a photo of a 1971 or 1973 baseball tray.

It's kind of cool too that untill 1970, trays consisted of six packs instead of three! Amazing pieces of unopened product!

• Options
    Edited to add: Check out the wholesale prices of the cases!

18 CENTS per TRAY!!

If a 65 tray came up for auction right now, it might command 18 THOUSAND!!!

• Options

<< <i>Edited to add: Check out the wholesale prices of the cases!

18 CENTS per TRAY!!

If a 65 tray came up for auction right now, it might command 18 THOUSAND!!! >>

Cents???
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭

18 CENTS per TRAY!!

Where is the time machine?? I need it stat!
  • Options

<< <i>

18 CENTS per TRAY!!

Cents??? >>

Yes, Cents! (18c per 6-pack)

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Love these trays. Remember busting so many 78 football and 79 baseball like they were going out of style when I was a lad. Haha

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice trays, Tim. I always love seeing pics of the older ones. And those ads have me drooling like Pavlov's dog, Doug. I wish I had more trays in my collection, but with such a lack of focus on sport selection... I've at least stuck with similar pack types, most of which don't quite carry the premium that trays do.
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    That Moran dude is a total d*ck!

The 62 sell sheet advertises 3 pack trays not 6

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    I wonder if Topps actually produced trays in 1971 and/or 1973. Surely, someone would have seen at least a picture of one by now.

• Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    What time is the rip?
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

<< <i>What time is the rip? >>

Rip a 76 tray??? The odds are better you'll see cpamike rip half a dozen 70s racks before I rip one of these! LOL!

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great trays Tim. Thanks for posting. I remember seeing them at an ice cream shop. I didn't buy the. because $0.40 or whatever they were charging for them was like all the money in the world to this 8 year old.

I didn't even realize there were trays prior to 1967. Murphy's book only shows them back to '67. Has a tray older than '67 ever surfaced?
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    I really dig the wax trays as well. In terms of football, the only ones you see offered fairly regularly are the 1979 and, to a lesser degree 1978.

Those are the only ones I have in my collection currently, with the notable addition of 1976 (which needs to go back to BBCE to be put in their new rack pack holder).

1976:

1978:

1979:

Snorto~
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Nice rack trays Scott!!! I love the 1976 Football.

Tim, you have nothing to worry about. Unless the apocalypse occurs, I'm not ripping any 1970's racks.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Great tray photos. So no one has seen 1973 or 1971? What about 1972 and 1970? How far back are trays confirmed (aside from the advertising piece).
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options

<< <i>Great tray photos. So no one has seen 1973 or 1971? What about 1972 and 1970? How far back are trays confirmed (aside from the advertising piece). >>

70 and 72 trays are scarce but do come up for sale on occasion (Steve sold a 72 tray at last year's National to Jim (MacrosB). I have also seen a few 69 trays, which were 6-pack trays, come up for sale. In fact, Manny (flatfoot) owns one, IIRC. Have never actually seen for sale any other year, and never even a photo of any tray from 1963, 66, 68, 71 or 73. I have a run from 1974 through 1980.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1973 basketball and hockey definitely exist, so it's hard to imagine why baseball wouldn't.

Didn't someone on this forum reminisce about ripping open 1971 wax trays to build sets back in the '70s?
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just looked it up. The post was by Jose, grains of salt appropriate?
  • Options

<< <i>1973 basketball and hockey definitely exist, so it's hard to imagine why baseball wouldn't.

Didn't someone on this forum reminisce about ripping open 1971 wax trays to build sets back in the '70s? >>

I'm not doubting that 73 baseball trays weren't produced, but it does seem very odd that a photo of one has never surfaced.

Grains of salt indeed.

• Options
    MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    Here's the 72 I picked up from Steve along with a 69 and a 73-74 basketball

Jim
    Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
  • Options
    Awesome 69 tray, Jim! I knew if I dropped your name, you'd come out of hiding, LOL..

I believe all 69 trays are 1st series packs, btw.

• Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    Here are a couple of pages from Mark Murphy's unopened pack guide. Though no are pictures, he lists approximate prices for trays going back to 1967. I assume he had proof that those '71 and '73 trays- were produced.

How about that '57 tray??

• Options
    I'll gladly take one tray of each from 71 and 73 for $1,500 total, LOL!

Surely, someone, somewhere, must have one of these trays? At this point, I'd say they appear to be more rare than an 86 Fleer basketball case!

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    I'll gladly take one tray of each from 71 and 73 for $1,500 total, LOL!

Surely, someone, somewhere, must have one of these trays? At this point, I'd say they appear to be more rare than an 86 Fleer basketball case!

Love this thread. It's 2019, can someone please post a photo of all wax trays for all years prior to '75. Just asking for a photo; any photo; from a library, museum; anywhere. I will donate $50 to a charity of your choice to the first person to post an authenticated '71 wax tray.

I would submit that if we cannot product a photo, then that particular year does not exist any longer in wax tray form.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options

I've never seen a photo of a 71 or even a 73 baseball tray for that matter. I'm reluctant to declare that none exist (the 61 tray Morphy's auctioned off several months back was the first one ever to surface as far as I know) but they certainly are super rare if any do still exist!

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    I've never seen a photo of a 71 or even a 73 baseball tray for that matter. I'm reluctant to declare that none exist (the 61 tray Morphy's auctioned off several months back was the first one ever to surface as far as I know) but they certainly are super rare if any do still exist!

Have to think Al Rosen ‘52 Topps find. Even though that schlub busted every pack before sending up the white smoke. I love it though lol. Somewhere, it’s out there....

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

OK Tim, I'll up the ante. $50 for any photo of a '71 or '73 wax tray. authenticated.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Talk about a tease. I see the title thinking someone has these for sale and it is an old post 😡

KC

• Options
    edited January 3, 2019 8:31PM

Not mine, saved from BBCEX listing, s/b first series packs i believe based on wrapper type

• Options

1961 tray mentioned above

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome stuff guys. 😳

KC

• Options
    fleet47fleet47 Posts: 78 ✭✭

Wish there was a site for unopened collectors to post their unique items. Or is there a site? Like the 1961 tray. Amazing !

• Options
    JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2019 12:53PM

Awesome stuff! Great read for a slow Friday at work! That 76 football rack has me drooling!

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!