Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The Official 2014 Allen & Ginter thread

Comments

• Mick65Mick65 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That Jackie bat card is SWEET!!

Will somebody tell me who this zito guy in a suit is? >>

I was going to ask the same question, and the kid staring at his cell phone? Interesting and crazy inserts....

....And that piece of Schefty's boxer shorts has to be "hot" on Ebay....

• elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>I was going to ask the same question, and the kid staring at his cell phone? >>

NEW YORK - A 17-year-old boy who says he has "abnormally fast thumbs" has been named the fastest texter in America for the second year in a row. "It feels incredible," said Austin Wierschke of Rhinelander, Wis., after winning the sixth annual U.S. LG National Texting Competition in Times Square on Wednesday. He gets $50,000 in prize money, which he says he will put away for college.

Allen & Ginter has a ton of non-sports related inserts. The product, as a result, isn't for everyone... but definitely has a cult following in the hobby.

Snorto~

That's cool, thanks for the info. I'm always interested, just bought a blaster for fun.

• zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    box 10

box 11 - this case is juiced

box 12 wraps it up nicely. This has to be the best case of anything I've ever opened

Got 6 loose boxes from the local shop to open later on

• GuruGuru Posts: 3,127
    Here's the highest priced piece selling on ebay right now...

Link

I bought two, ripped one open, got a Tim Raines bat relic, the plus side it was 1/1.

Question is, will it be worth one-tenth that amount four months from now?

Seriously though, this stuff looks fun, is the hobby box expensive?

• FREE TO A GOOD HOME

09 A&G mini #342 Sitting Bull. It's not the regular back, it's the one with the fugly guy with a powder wig and hat
    2013 A&G Curious Cases insert The Illuminati/New World Order

I don't like the nonsports stuff. Top loader, tape, PWE to the first person who wants them.
  • ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be interested in any Bryce Harper cards if anyone has any they want to move.
  • DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 490 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought two, ripped one open, got a Tim Raines bat relic, the plus side it was 1/1.

Seriously though, this stuff looks fun, is the hobby box expensive? >>

You never know with rare ginters...depends on who is in the market at that point. For instance I've seen the 1/10 employee auto cards sell for $10, and also sell for hundreds. My guess is that raines will have some decent value..if you get the right 2 collectors chasing it....

Hobby boxes presold at $80-85, currently list at $95-100.

Previously years...most seem to hold at $100-120. 2013 is around $65.

• << <i>FREE TO A GOOD HOME

09 A&G mini #342 Sitting Bull. It's not the regular back, it's the one with the fugly guy with a powder wig and hat
    2013 A&G Curious Cases insert The Illuminati/New World Order

I don't like the nonsports stuff. Top loader, tape, PWE to the first person who wants them. >>

This ended up being the last message on the previous page, so in case nobody saw it I wanted to bump the offer this one time.
    Box 1 and 2 of the final 6 - Rip card # 4

<< <i>

<< <i>I bought two, ripped one open, got a Tim Raines bat relic, the plus side it was 1/1.

Seriously though, this stuff looks fun, is the hobby box expensive? >>

You never know with rare ginters...depends on who is in the market at that point. For instance I've seen the 1/10 employee auto cards sell for $10, and also sell for hundreds. My guess is that raines will have some decent value..if you get the right 2 collectors chasing it....

Hobby boxes presold at $80-85, currently list at $95-100.

Previously years...most seem to hold at $100-120. 2013 is around $65. >>

Thanks for the information. Great looking set and scans.

I was just commenting (joking) on the $5K EBAY card for the Duel Rip Abreu/Raines card. To pay that much and open it to find a Raines Bat Relic 1/1, rolling the dice, would be a disappointment.

So I couldn't see how they would retain their value.

• wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone disgusted picking up the olympic wrestlers? I'd find them a home.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • DoctorKDoctorK Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's the highest priced piece selling on ebay right now...

Link >>

Highest price listed...you know how that goes.
  • hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭

<< <i>I am hoping to acquire the cards of Anthony Robles (NCAA Champion wrestler with only one leg) from this release. I did not see any info regarding Mr. Robles but on his facebook page he showed that he was signing cards for it. >>

I heard him speak a few months ago at a conference in Orlando, Florida. GREAT story and he is a pretty good speaker. Seemed like a real good guy in speaking to him in private afterwards. I purchased an autographed book for my pre-teen boys but have not had a chance to read it myself. I didn't know he was in this set and might have to go pick up an auto card.
    Hook'em
    boxes 3, 4 and 5

5th rip card in 19 boxes

Do collectors "rip" the Rip Cards?

<< <i>

<< <i>I am hoping to acquire the cards of Anthony Robles (NCAA Champion wrestler with only one leg) from this release. I did not see any info regarding Mr. Robles but on his facebook page he showed that he was signing cards for it. >>

I heard him speak a few months ago at a conference in Orlando, Florida. GREAT story and he is a pretty good speaker. Seemed like a real good guy in speaking to him in private afterwards. I purchased an autographed book for my pre-teen boys but have not had a chance to read it myself. I didn't know he was in this set and might have to go pick up an auto card. >>

Watched his video segment on ESPN last night. Even though I know his story it was quite moving.....great guy!
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

<< <i>Do collectors "rip" the Rip Cards? >>

I sold 3 of them and will rip the other 2 in the next few days.

For others, some do, some don't. Player collectors probably keep them unripped. I still have an 07 Dice-K unripped rip card. That was one of the years you could see what's inside with a flashlight and since I bought it on Ebay, I'd always assumed it had been checked. I've honestly never tried the flashlight trick so even though I've had the rip card for 7 years now, I have no clue what's in it. I should just rip it

• << <i>

<< <i>Do collectors "rip" the Rip Cards? >>

I sold 3 of them and will rip the other 2 in the next few days.

For others, some do, some don't. Player collectors probably keep them unripped. I still have an 07 Dice-K unripped rip card. That was one of the years you could see what's inside with a flashlight and since I bought it on Ebay, I'd always assumed it had been checked. I've honestly never tried the flashlight trick so even though I've had the rip card for 7 years now, I have no clue what's in it. I should just rip it >>

Yeah you should. It's dice K. What do you have to lose??

Anybody want the free insert and mini I offered from years past.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    We're all scared of inviting the Illuminati into our homes.

But I would like them.
    Will PM address.

Thank you.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • I picked up 2 hobby boxes at a local shop and was very pleasantly surprised. Both boxes had a bonus "hit" in addition to the three guaranteed.

Box 1 contained the Car-Go framed mini bat relic, Allen Craig bat relic, Tanner Foust 1 color cloth relic and Zack Greinke framed mini printing plate (yellow).

Box 2 was a monster. The very first pack contained the Hank Aaron bat relic. Grant Balfour 1 color cloth relic and Chuck Zito 3 color cloth relic rounded out the guaranteed hits. As a bonus, I hit the Miss USA 1/1 wood mini. I was under the impression that the wood minis were only available through rip cards, but this one was inserted normally in a pack.

This stuff is a blast to rip. You never know what you're going to see next.

Sorry about the quality here. Low light cell phone shot...

• Aaron relic is siiiiiiick!
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭
    Zepp I need to be hitting your shop
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • SlangNRoxSlangNRox Posts: 774 ✭✭
    I did 1 box. Got a Dusty Baker AG mini no number, David Price gu, Elvis Andrus framed gu, Mike Pereira ref worn, and Reggie jackson silk /10.
    I'm happy with my box. Got a great card from my team (Mr. October silk)
    Wood and to have a 1/1 Miss USA? Feels good!
    Cool - nice to see some other people ripping. Felt like I was just talking to myself for most of the thread:

I think this is the first year I haven't pulled any wood - and yes they can be in packs too. Most of mine have come that way. Not sure if I ever got one in a rip card

Got one more box to try and come up with some red ink and/or wood. Probably rip it tomorrow night

• Zep I've been enjoying the thread, so keep it up! And I might have told you, but I love your sig!
    Thanks Dan

I just meant no one else really ripping much this year. The past year's threads were huge and lots of ripping, scans and trading.
  • jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭
    This is the 1st year in the last 4 or 5 I dodn't get a Red Ink auto. 2 years ago I got 2 in 1 case.

So I have opened 14 + boxes this year. Case, 2 boxes and some packs. I fgot 1 rip card. Maddux/Glavine dual.

Mike opened 4 more boxes than me and got 4 more rip cards. D'Oh.
    My final box - might end up picking another locally but pretty much done for this year.

First time I've seen a full size Ginter autograph - still getting surprised after 20 boxes

Not being one to let this thread die, I picked up another case.

Starting up where I left off - Here are the first 2 boxes

The Trouts came from the same box

box 3

• Love the mini wood and the trout book!
  • MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    I purchased a Don Mattingly base card a few days ago. image
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing Zep. I stopped Ginter a few years back as I still have master sets from as far back as 2008 to clean up yet.
    Hey Cory, good to see you pop in

Boxes 4 and 5 kind of dudlish image

1 more today and probably rip the rest tomorrow

box 6:

My Sunday morning wake and break assistant. He gets the wrappers, I get the cards

boxes 7 and 8:

box 9:

• Love the wrigley field relic! And what are the chances of getting 2 relics of the same player in the same box??
  • JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    I got one of those Wrigley relics /250 in a blaster box. I thought those were pretty cool!

Justin
    Boxes 10-11 - finally got some red ink

Box 12:

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I first saw the picture of your cat w/ the wrappers, I thought they were empty bags of catnip that he or she had just relieved the contents of, hence his or her relaxed position. Our cat can rip open the Temp. Treats bag to get to the booty. Now just have to train him to rip open my packs. image
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • SOS to the Ginter guys. I need 2 copies of 2008 A&G US insert #49 Pat Neshek. One to replace the copy in my set, which is now mashed, and one for TTM. Can anybody help me out? Willing to buy or trade

• << <i>SOS to the Ginter guys. I need 2 copies of 2008 A&G US insert #49 Pat Neshek. One to replace the copy in my set, which is now mashed, and one for TTM. Can anybody help me out? Willing to buy or trade >>

Anybody?

• << <i>SOS to the Ginter guys. I need 2 copies of 2008 A&G US insert #49 Pat Neshek. One to replace the copy in my set, which is now mashed, and one for TTM. Can anybody help me out? Willing to buy or trade >>

Bueller?