Home Precious Metals
Options

What is the better buy?

cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
$10 Libs containing .48 oz of gold for $688, or 1/2 oz AGE for $714?
Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Comments

• Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    Would depend on the condition of the libs and the dates on the $25 AGE's.
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Libs always take the old over the modern dreck . Premiums are low on the $10's but if gold drops I bet the premium goes up.
  • Options
    If it's a wash, I'd rather hold old Numi US gold from the 1800's early 1900's, history!
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    IMO at those prices, the Libs.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    If I could find a nice $10 liberty or indian for that price or around $700, I'd go with that over the AGE anyday.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options

<< <i>If I could find a nice $10 liberty or indian for that price or around $700, I'd go with that over the AGE anyday. >>

APMEX has AU's at about $710. Same price as a 1/2 oz AGE.

• Options
    2014 $25 AGE, at the rate it's selling from the mint, could finish low enough to develop a small premium.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lib !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    I went with the Libs from my local guy at Apmex prices. I can hold these in my hand. Smell them. Lick them...yuck!! You get the point though...dont have to worry getting a tiny nick or confiscation. image Got a bunch of $2.50 Libs and Indians for less premium than 1/10 oz AGE. Plus im a coin guy more than a bullion guy. Would rather enjoy the history.

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Great choice. Nice lookin' group of gold coin, the best of both worlds.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    OK gold stackers..cohodk is now buying…that is my buy signal!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    Cohodk has been nibbling for a year. Hasnt made a penny. image

Interesting that its almost an even split between the preference of old gold vs new gold.

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old checking in...

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which one would your buyer down the road feel more confident buying? As a buyer it's less likely I'd end up with a counterfeit AGE. For that reason I'd buy the AGE. Resell should always be a consideration when purchasing bullion.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$10 Libs containing .48 oz of gold for $688, or 1/2 oz AGE for $714? >>

Depends on the grade and the date, sir.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I went with the Libs from my local guy at Apmex prices. I can hold these in my hand. Smell them. Lick them...yuck!! You get the point though...dont have to worry getting a tiny nick or confiscation. image Got a bunch of $2.50 Libs and Indians for less premium than 1/10 oz AGE. Plus im a coin guy more than a bullion guy. Would rather enjoy the history.

image >>

Oh, in this case, you did better because if you went to an online distributor, the chance of getting that AGE "key" is slim and none. Your numismatic gold is just good old money.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All else being equal the Libs would be my preference too.
  • Options
    PeacePeoplePeacePeople Posts: 106 ✭✭
    If the dollars per ounce spent are equal, why would you buy the one they can and will make more of tomorrow?
    Nevermind...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a stacker, I would take the AGE.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>As a stacker, I would take the AGE.... Cheers, RickO >>

Why? What's the difference between 5 rolls ofi 10 Libs and 5 rolls of 1/2 oz AGE, especially if cost per ounce is the same?

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought I replied last night but it didn't go through. I'd take the libs at that price in a heartbeat over the AGEs, history in your hands. Nice buy coho.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking Libs. I always go with the AGEs.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    reddwingreddwing Posts: 137 ✭✭
    My only concern is this. How do you know if they are not counterfeit?
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Lean towards the Libs.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>2014 $25 AGE, at the rate it's selling from the mint, could finish low enough to develop a small premium. >>

Enough to make up for the initial premium (current mint price is $845)?

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>2014 $25 AGE, at the rate it's selling from the mint, could finish low enough to develop a small premium. >>

Enough to make up for the initial premium (current mint price is $845)? >>

I was actually referring to the bullion AGE at roughly the price codokh quoted. It could end up one of the lower mintages of the bullion uncs in the series.
  • Options

<< <i>My only concern is this. How do you know if they are not counterfeit? >>

Education. Aren't the fake AGEs out there?

Anyway, most counterfeits are usually at least 18k. Most I've encountered have been 80-85% gold which is only 5-10% different from the real deal.

Btw-- I have no problem with fakes... They melt all the sameimage

• Options
    Jmski, why AGE? What about bullion confiscation?

• Options
    Jmski, why AGE? What about bullion confiscation?

Mostly personal preference, but I could make a case for slightly better liquidity, uniformity and ease of valuation. Confiscation isn't an issue in my mind because the government can attempt to confiscate anything any time they want if so motivated, and the legal precedent doesn't mean as much as some would have you believe.

Besides, the AGEs are actually recommended and sold as an investment medium into tax deferred retirement accounts now and that's a pretty clear endorsement by the government, and they are sold by the government at a premium - not just distributed as legal tender although they do have legal tender status as well.

I don't see any big disadvantages in old gold either, especially if you like the history aspect. What is the better buy? I'd say the better buy is where you find the smallest buy-sell spreads within your comfort level with regards to the seller.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    While I'm a bullion guy, I'd take history over a "shiny souvenir" any day.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    AGEs are actually recommended and sold as an investment medium into tax deferred retirement accounts now and that's a pretty clear endorsement by the government

I can understand that, but i think that would raise the hair on a die-hard conspiracist.

• Options
    I can understand that, but i think that would raise the hair on a die-hard conspiracist.

Why? Just because the government endorses the idea doesn't mean it's a good idea to do it. Putting physical metal into a custodial tax-deferred account is about the dumbest idea out there. But, it might be a contestable legal point against a confiscation order.

While I'm a bullion guy, I'd take history over a "shiny souvenir" any day.

Um, I know it's not quite Civil War History, but AGEs are pushing the 30 year mark pretty soon. It's recent history, but post-1986 is history too now. For instance, the USSR dissolved and the Berlin Wall was opened - both in 1989. It's already been 25 years. Seems impossible that it's been that long, doesn't it?

I knew it would happen.