Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gold Brasher Doubloon copy to be sold at the ANA

13»

Comments

• Options
    brendanlambrendanlam Posts: 662 ✭✭✭
    anyone has picture of the coin at the show?
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw this on Ron's Facebook Page

"These are a few experimental strikes of the Brasher Doubloon we'll be producing next week. One of the coolest things I discovered about the
    real coin is the way Ephraim Brasher applied the edge texture. He evidently used the round end of a chasing hammer and tapped tiny concave
    facets into the edge. This also caused some slight, irregular upsetting around the perimeter of the coin. Without that upsetting, the piece just
    does not have the same look as the original. If he had put the texture in before striking the coin, the stretching of the metal during striking would
    have softened the texture to the point of being non existent. We tried them both ways and I'm 99.8% convinced that Brasher applied the edge after
    striking due to the very crisp chasing seen on it. Not standard mint practice, but this was no standard mint. He approached it like a goldsmith and must
    have spent a considerable amount of time hand crafting each one."

• Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    Tim Grat of Eureka Minting has a video on facebook of Landis counterstamping the pieces at the ANA Show. The real McCoy is just a booth or so away.
  • Options

<< <i>Tim Grat of Eureka Minting has a video on facebook of Landis counterstamping the pieces at the ANA Show. The real McCoy is just a booth or so away. >>

do you have the link?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Tim Grat of Eureka Minting has a video on facebook of Landis counterstamping the pieces at the ANA Show. The real McCoy is just a booth or so away. >>

do you have the link? >>

Let's try this:

Landis at ANA Chicago
  • Options
    The Landis designed Brasher novadels minted onsite at the ANA show are being encapsulated by NGC. They also used the press and punch to make novelty errors. No. 1 of 500 was donated to the ANA.

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    The interesting thing about this issue is that I don't see it offered for sale
    Anywhere but on site
    Even monacos site doesn't have it as far as I see
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Even monacos site doesn't have it as far as I see >>

It's right here on MonacoRareCoins.com

I wish I knew about the original Landis strike. I would have purchased one or two at that price.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin, but a little too high of a premium for me.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was going to get one, but the slab kills it for me.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw them making coins at the ANA show today. Very neat to see them at work and the coin looks beautiful. Just couldn't get myself to pay around double melt for one of them though. Particularly without a limit of the mintage. I know they said something like only 500 would be made and encapsulated at the show, if they even sell that many. But, if they had announced a limit of only 1787 coins or something like that, maybe I would have got one. Just didn't want to buy one at the current premium and then see thousands of them being sold on TV later in the year. Then again, they sure did look cool. Much cooler outside of the NGC slab in the trays of freshly minted examples.

Also, they had examples struck in pewter for YNs which was really neat. They weren't for sale though and I couldn't get one. Too bad they didn't make some in silver or something like that for those not wanting to drop $2k.

• Options
    I was try to get one @$1975, but decided not to after heard Rep said " there is a discount for purchase more than 25 like $1700 for each". I guess someone will do that and sell for less.
  • Options
    Do I have to pay with an 1804 silver dollar?

Eric
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was try to get one @$1975, but decided not to after heard Rep said " there is a discount for purchase more than 25 like $1700 for each". I guess someone will do that and sell for less. >>

Wait awhile. They'll be a lot cheaper in the secondary market.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Based on the Current bullion at the ANA with the 1st labeled donated to the ANA they should have a bullion piece worth over 100,00.00 to the right buyer it is the 1st of only 500 so could carry even more of a price.
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was there Ron was punching the "EB". He was carefully aligning the reverse back into the die so as not to distort anything. He said that he had learned from the physical evidence showed Brasher had just punched them on the anvil - the design is slightly flattened as a result. His partner was sitting there with a micrometer checking the size of another tray of struck 'coins'.
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    Ron Landis purchased this one for himself, #499/500 -- but with an RL initials counterstamp rather than EB.

• Options
    That is very cool and I was actually just recently thinking that Ron should make some with his initials rather than Ephraim Brasher's, after all Ron is making these coins, not Ephraim! image

<< <i>Ron Landis purchased this one for himself, #499/500 -- but with an RL initials counterstamp rather than EB.

image >>

• Options
    Do you think he counterstamped any gold Kennedy commemorative halves?
  • Options

<< <i>Do you think he counterstamped any gold Kennedy commemorative halves? >>

Not sure, but it would be cool if he did and it was slabbed with a First Strike insert.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt the other thread..

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file