Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gold Brasher Doubloon copy to be sold at the ANA

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just spoke with them.

The design will be slightly different so copy will not be stamped on it.
    It will be about an ounce of gold.
    Will only be available at the ANA.
    It will be less than $2000!

Woot! >>

Any idea on how many they will strike for ANA?

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    this will be an interesting piece

not a "TV" sales piece like previously mentioned by another author

no copy mark, very true to original, I would have preferred the same fineness of gold, although 26.4 grams, less than one ounce.

much more desirable than the old Gallery Mint copies with "COPY" in very large block letters.....
  • Options
    brendanlambrendanlam Posts: 662 ✭✭✭
    I'm just got hold with Monaco rep, they said you can order online, as many as you want (up to 10,000). they also have "SS Central America Octagonal Humbert $50 Gold Commemorative” 2.5 oz for $3718 look exactly like the orginal. I dunno it is worth to pay that much or not.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Just spoke with them.

The design will be slightly different so copy will not be stamped on it.
    It will be about an ounce of gold.
    Will only be available at the ANA.
    It will be less than $2000!

Woot! >>

Any idea on how many they will strike for ANA?

MJ >>

No. You can call and ask.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>this will be an interesting piece

no copy mark, very true to original, I would have preferred the same fineness of gold, although 26.4 grams, less than one ounce.

much more desirable than the old Gallery Mint copies with "COPY" in very large block letters..... >>

In the interest of clarity, my comment was that the older Gallery Mint pieces reminded me of the TV seller stuff, not this piece.
    The reality is no one knows how these new pieces will look until they're struck. It is hoped they are done in the style of the original.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm just got hold with Monaco rep, they said you can order online, as many as you want (up to 10,000). they also have "SS Central America Octagonal Humbert $50 Gold Commemorative” 2.5 oz for $3718 look exactly like the orginal. I dunno it is worth to pay that much or not. >>

Thank you for the info………MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>this will be an interesting piece

much more desirable than the old Gallery Mint copies with "COPY" in very large block letters..... >>

In the interest of clarity, my comment was that the older Gallery Mint pieces reminded me of the TV seller stuff, not this piece.
    The reality is no one knows how these new pieces will look until they're struck. It is hoped they are done in the style of the original. >>

If they don't require the "copy" stamp, then they WON'T be as much like the original as the older Gallery Mint copy (which was also done on screw press with hand made dies)

One cannot have it both ways. Either it will be quite different from the original, or it will require the stamp.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>If they don't require the "copy" stamp, then they WON'T be as much like the original as the older Gallery Mint copy >>

I don't agree.

If i'm not mistaken, the Gallery Mint did not have access to a genuine coin for their reproduction. Even though the Gallery Mint reproductions were decent, I don't think they were that close to original.

I think there probably is something a little different here around interpretation of the HPA, some sort of "gray" area allowing this coin to be produced. I paid particular attention to the use of "novotel", or official restrike. It's probably rolled up somewhere in there......
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The person I spoke with told me that they were probably going to add something to the design which, if they do it, would satisfy me that the piece would not require stamping with the word "COPY."

However, he said that the final design was not yet finished, so I reserve my final opinion until I see the final design to see if that design element was added or not.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    Not quite the final design:

• Options
    the question is - how good the restrike will be.

Given current technology, I would think they should be able to make a very good restrike. If it is left up to artistic design, Im not so sure.

• Options
    I think the point would be that they will be using the type of technology available at the time. Engraver Ron Landis has stated that he's attempting to use the type of tools from the era to carve the die and will be striking them live at the ANA show on a screw press while detailing a history.
  • Options
    any update on this coin what it will look like?
  • Options
    As long as it looks and is true to the Brasher Dubloon....

and isn't a Landis Dubloon
  • Options
    Just got a call from Monacorarecoins said this coin price at $1975 on NGC slab, and he also stated on eagle right wing has .9999 gold marked. I it can be order now and deliver in 2nd or 3rd wk of August. what do you guy think?
  • Options

<< <i>Just got a call from Monacorarecoins said this coin price at $1975 on NGC slab, and he also stated on eagle right wing has .9999 gold marked. I it can be order now and deliver in 2nd or 3rd wk of August. what do you guy think? >>

Having the fineness on the wing is a good idea, as the edge inscription might get covered up by the slab.

Any word on the "2014" date that they are going to add to the design?

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Just got a call from Monacorarecoins said this coin price at $1975 on NGC slab, and he also stated on eagle right wing has .9999 gold marked. I it can be order now and deliver in 2nd or 3rd wk of August. what do you guy think? >>

Having the fineness on the wing is a good idea, as the edge inscription might get covered up by the slab.

Any word on the "2014" date that they are going to add to the design?

TD >>

no, I think .9999 mark is good enough to tell different for original coin.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quite a markup over melt for a modern copy.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    .9999 mark in the design on the wing?

I'm out. Just ruined the whole thing for me and probably many others.

Good luck Monaco.....you'll sell a couple hundred max.
  • Options

<< <i>.9999 mark in the design on the wing?

I'm out. Just ruined the whole thing for me and probably many others.

Good luck Monaco.....you'll sell a couple hundred max. >>

It was either modify the design or add a big "COPY". I think they made the right choice.

• Options
    edge inscription of fineness would have sufficed
  • Options

<< <i>edge inscription of fineness would have sufficed >>

Our opinions differ.
  • Options
    Wouldn't necessarily need to say "COPY" as it could have had a small "2014" added to the design somewhere instead. Would've made more sense than .9999 to me and be less intrusive to the design.
  • Options

<< <i>Wouldn't necessarily need to say "COPY" as it could have had a small "2014" added to the design somewhere instead. Would've made more sense than .9999 to me and be less intrusive to the design. >>

I was told by a representative of Monaco that they would "probably" be putting a small "2014" either right or left of the word "BRASHER." That would be sufficient, in my opinion, for the piece to not need to be stamped with the word "COPY."
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamping the buyer's initials into the coin would be a nice custom touch.

Doesn't the "COPY" requirement only apply to actual US coinage and not to privately minted coinage?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Hobby Protection Act: Original numismatic item means anything which has been a part of a coinage or issue which has been used in exchange or has been used to commemorate a person, object, place, or event. Such term includes coins, tokens, paper money, and commemorative medals.

Also, a bit ironic that the original PR about the Brasher replicas by Landis showed an image of an "EB" punch that the release said would be struck on the wing. Now they are saying that .9999 will be struck on the wing. I guess they had a photo of Landis' "EB" punch from the first Brasher replica he made years ago.
  • Options

<< <i>Our opinions differ. >>

Well you know what they say about opinions.....image
  • Options

<< <i>Stamping the buyer's initials into the coin would be a nice custom touch.

Doesn't the "COPY" requirement only apply to actual US coinage and not to privately minted coinage? >>

No.
  • Options
    Landis has posted photos of his Brasher interpretation. EB is on the wing, .9999 is on the edge and "1787 BRASHER 2014" is just above EXCELSIOR.
  • Options
    pics???
  • Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭
    Here are some pics.

This shows the date.

This shows the edge.

From Ron Landis's FaceBook. https://www.facebook.com/ron.landis1
  • Options
    Only $1975 w/ free shipping.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    isn't it just about time for someone to tell us for the 15th time in this thread that he isn't interested?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>isn't it just about time for someone to tell us for the 15th time in this thread that he isn't interested? >>

sure, why not

not interested.image
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the bigger news should be that Ron Landis has re-entered Numismatics. >>

This is very exciting and I'm happy for Ron and the Gallery Mint.

Here's the link for Monaco Rare Coins, the company commissioning these pieces.

Good luck to them on raising $250,000 for the ANA!
  • Options

<< <i>Here are some pics.

This shows the date.

This shows the edge.

From Ron Landis's FaceBook. https://www.facebook.com/ron.landis1 >>

That is what I was told would appear, "1787" and "2014" flanking the word "BRASHER." That works for me to keep it legal.

TD
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That is what I was told would appear, "1787" and "2014" flanking the word "BRASHER." That works for me to keep it legal. >>

How hard would it be to remove those numbers given that these are .9999 gold?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>That is what I was told would appear, "1787" and "2014" flanking the word "BRASHER." That works for me to keep it legal. >>

How hard would it be to remove those numbers given that these are .9999 gold? >>

Not hard at all.
  • Options

<< <i>Only $1975 w/ free shipping. >>

What's melt value for these coins? I'm curious how much of a premium over melt these coins are being sold for.

• Options

<< <i>

What's melt value for these coins? I'm curious how much of a premium over melt these coins are being sold for. >>

Last I heard, approx. 3/4ths of approx. $1300. Roughly $975.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

What's melt value for these coins? I'm curious how much of a premium over melt these coins are being sold for. >>

Last I heard, approx. 3/4ths of approx. $1300. Roughly $975. >>

That's a hell of a premium over gold value. It may pay to wait a year or two and buy one on the secondary market.

• Options
    Acc'd to Landis: "The original coin was struck in .890 fine gold. The ones we strike will be .9999 fine and weigh the same amount as the original at 26.4 grams."
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too high of a premium for what it is. Interesting, but not interesting enough.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Will PCGS and NGC be slabbing these coins?

• Options

<< <i>Will PCGS and NGC be slabbing these coins? >>

the coin is in NGC slab. I just ordered one online, but not ship out until after the show.
  • Options
    Someone asked earlier in the thread about the mintages of the Gallery Mint Museum issued Brasher design from 1999 and the new one Ron Landis was commissioned to do for Monaco. Acc'd to the GMM Feb. 2000 newsletter, there were 233 doubloons and 102 half doubloons issued. Monaco, on the other hand, says optimistically that they are commissioning up to 10,000.
    Aside from having an expensive trinket to offer, I urge those going to the ANA show to listen to Landis' spiel while there minting them onsite and benefit from the hands-on education he obtained whilst researching and working on the reproduction. Landis' latest comment was that Brasher showed to be more of a goldsmith than a minter. I hope David Lisot or someone can videotape some of it and make it available online
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Too high of a premium for what it is. Interesting, but not interesting enough. >>

Agreed. I like them, but too high a premium for me.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

I didn't read all of this thread, but I can say that I have bought and sold 3 of the older Brasher Doubloon copies in NGC holders over the past 5 years. Each and every time they sold at auction for perhaps $50 over the melt value. I bought them for the gold value only, based on previous sales. The issue I had was scarce and finding sales records was tough, but also not impressive at all.

I recall that New York Mint (in Minneapolis), dba govmint.com online, had these slabbed by NGC (or someone close to them). The people I bought the coins from were other dealers, who both the coins OTC from retail customers who had purchased them from telemarketers. I called govmint.com several times and sent many emails. They seemed interested in a buyback, but nothing ever happened. That's my input, for whatever it is worth to you.

• Options
    The Gallery Mint Museum issues of the Brasher Doubloon sold at about $100 over spot, initially.
  • Options

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file