Home Metal Detecting

cigar store token

wow, been awhile since ive been here. been working a lot. a friend found nice spot where some houses were removed. this is from today:
and from a few days ago:
a week ago. got a 5 cent token with no city/town and a 1939 golden gate expo tie clip.

Comments

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey demo, that's an eclectic mix of finds. Nice silvers and relics. What is the age of that bullet in front of the marble?
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    A nice mixture of finds, glad to see you back again. image
  • demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    Looks like a bullet, but looks like part of a pen. Seems like the places I go to have more personal items than coins. This newest spot had 4 houses on it. Only 2 silvers and a few a wheats.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is quite a varied collection you have found... some interesting items... like the elephant and the watch... Cheers, RickO
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like the token image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I Googled "popular cigar store" for Arcata and came up with this.

Looks like the building it was housed in still stands. According to the article, it appears that Jess McAfee's Popular Cigar Store was operating in the early 1900s, probably before 1916.

So based on that, I guess that token is probably circa 1900-1916. We can probably suppose 1910-ish?

Neat stuff.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.