Home U.S. Coin Forum

In 1917 people got so upset about the nipple on the new quarter..

Why didn't anybody make a big deal about the sausage hanging on the Buffalo ?

Comments

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People did not get upset. That is a myth, but it is an easy one to believe since somehow it resonates. Full story in Roger Burdette's Renaissance of American Coinage.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why didn't anybody make a big deal about the sausage hanging on the Buffalo ? >>

Because on the Buffalo only the casing is hanging and not the sausage itself!image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Panic would ensue if the buffalo were in mating mode....image Cheers, RickO
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This myth (and many others) has long been debunked.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Women were burning bras when I grew up… and by 1979 the mint put a woman's bun on the face of a dollar and the SHTF in Iran.
    But how about the Eagle ? Ya gotta love coins and cointroversey on the tail end. Funny how times change.

Edit to add: Photos courtesy of PCGS CoinFacts. (thoughts are mine alone )
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    In 1909 were people really upset with the V.D.B. on the reverse of the new Lincoln Cent?

I can believe there was an uproar in 1917. Not from 100% of the population but all it takes is a few crybabies.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was a wardrobe malfunction.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought that Standing Lib furor rather odd, considering all the publicly displayed artwork, statues, fountains, etc. featuring nudes that were hailed as high art at the time... yet they had a problem with one nipple that frankly was often poorly struck so as to not be visible in the first place, and even when fully struck, would wear off within a short time in circulation anyway... go figure.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know of a US coin that depicts a pair of headless, naked people (adults, man and woman) and another one that shows a bare child's behind. Can anyone name the two coins I'm thinking of?
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>sausage hanging? >>

imageimage
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one complained about this guy - in fact, when you visit the Cook islands - he is exposed everywhere in print, statues, wood carvings decorating religious structures, etc.

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭
    Bad donkey! Or is it bad azz?

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No one complained about this guy - in fact, when you visit the Cook islands - he is exposed everywhere in print, statues, wood carvings decorating religious structures, etc.

image >>

A certain numismatic publication did "edit" this image before allowing it to appear in advertising.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there is a nipple on the 1917 quarter!?! next thing you know they'll be letting women vote.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mint gave the ladies equal time when they made the studmuffin Oregon commems

#bananahammock

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>People did not get upset. That is a myth, but it is an easy one to believe since somehow it resonates. Full story in Roger Burdette's Renaissance of American Coinage. >>

True, there has never been proof of a general protest about the bare breast
    Frank

BHNC #203

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

oh man, that is funny.

Originally posted by: Icollecteverything

Bad donkey! Or is it bad azz? image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if it was "people" who complained or just two women in a sewing circle in Iowa?
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: kiyote
    I know of a US coin that depicts a pair of headless, naked people (adults, man and woman) and another one that shows a bare child's behind. Can anyone name the two coins I'm thinking of?

1984 Olympic Silver Dollar and 1915 Pan-Pac Half.

I wonder if there will be an "uproar" over the gold 2016 SLQ. . .

(Aside from the price, of course.) image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A similar, yet earlier outcry over the Educational Series notes around 1899.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you think this offended anyone when it was made?
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow pruebas....I have never seen that one before.... must get to coin shows more

often....image Cheers, RickO
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where was the outcry that the "Buffalo" nickel isn't, yet rather portrays a bison.

peacockcoins

• stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how 'bout a coin with a sausage and a beaver!

edit: not my coin [sigh]
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: kiyote

1. 1984 Olympic commemorative silver dollars

2. 1915-S Pan-Pac halves

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file