Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would more PCGS slabbed So-Called Dollars increase interest in them?

13»

Comments

• Options
    1patwick1patwick Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

@mozin said:<< It would nice if we all knew what an "SCD" was. I hate acronyms when you do't what they stand for. >>

I agree. Now that I know what SCDs means, I will not bother to open the thread.

That's our loss. :'( NOT! <3

Au Contrare, This means fewer collectors in a highly specialized field.

Touche!

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    By the way, I'd also point out that RARITY DISCOURAGES COLLECTING. It doesn't encourage it. If you can't hope to acquire one, you don't go looking for them. Who wants an album/registry set that is nothing but holes?

I beg to differ! When one cannot find rarities, one is looking in the wrong place! My "Stupid, asinine luck" collecting So-Called Dollars can only be attributed to good searches and persistence. My mind is the only limiting factor in finding rare SCD's.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,861 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1patwick said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    By the way, I'd also point out that RARITY DISCOURAGES COLLECTING. It doesn't encourage it. If you can't hope to acquire one, you don't go looking for them. Who wants an album/registry set that is nothing but holes?

I beg to differ! When one cannot find rarities, one is looking in the wrong place! My "Stupid, asinine luck" collecting So-Called Dollars can only be attributed to good searches and persistence. My mind is the only limiting factor in finding rare SCD's.

You are completely misunderstanding what I'm saying.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2017 9:47AM

There are (at least) two types of collectors.

• Ones that like filling pre-determined holes in albums or sets
    • Ones that like collecting things that strike their fancy

With highly rare items, the first is hard to accomplish but the second can be a lot of fun.

The hole filling type of collector would have a hard time collecting all the HK listed SCDs because there hasn't been a single complete collection so hole filling would be either about completion level or focusing on a smaller sub-set, like a single exposition or something else.

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been collecting Washington State medals for years, most fortunately don't meet the criteria for SCD designation by the book. I suppose TPG will increase awareness and prices. For myself, the medals are historically interesting and usually rare, under the radar, an area of collecting that is relatively inexpensive, and without the cost and hassle of third party grading.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can end this right now.

As of approximately three weeks ago, I began collecting So-Called-Dollars. Because of this, there will NEVER be an increased interest in them until I finally give up on them and lose my shirt selling them off.

Cheers

Bob

• Options

@jmlanzaf
    Life is too short to be "right or wrong". Whatever our reasons, we collect and we all share in the 'thrill of the hunt' and the reward of building our collections. I'm sorry for being so wrongly right and shortsighted.
    Cheers and a happy New Year!

• Options
    edited December 29, 2017 1:19PM

@1patwick said:
    @jmlanzaf
    Life is too short to be "right or wrong". Whatever our reasons, we collect and we all share in the 'thrill of the hunt' and the reward of building our collections. I'm sorry for being so wrongly right and shortsighted.

My point was not that people don't collect things - rare or not. Of course people buy 1804 dollars, 94-S dimes, 1913 Liberty nickels. But those coins don't create demand for the series. I'd be willing to bet that virtually all owners of 1913 Liberty nickels do NOT have a complete set of Liberty Nickels. I'd be willing to bet that most owners of 1804 dollars don't have complete sets Early Dollars.

Look at U.S. patterns. They are generally pretty scarce. How many people are trying to assemble complete sets of U.S. patterns?

Happy Holidays!

• Options
    edited December 29, 2017 2:06PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@1patwick said:
    @jmlanzaf

My point was not that people don't collect things - rare or not. Of course people buy 1804 dollars, 94-S dimes, 1913 Liberty nickels. But those coins don't create demand for the series. I'd be willing to bet that virtually all owners of 1913 Liberty nickels do NOT have a complete set of Liberty Nickels. I'd be willing to bet that most owners of 1804 dollars don't have complete sets Early Dollars.

Look at U.S. patterns. They are generally pretty scarce. How many people are trying to assemble complete sets of U.S. patterns?

Happy Holidays!

Buying 1804 dollars, 94-S dimes, 1913 Liberty nickels can still be collecting. You don't have to collect the series to be a collector.

Perhaps it would be better to say:

RARITY DISCOURAGES SET COLLECTING

Not collecting in general.

• Options

Happy Holidays!

Buying 1804 dollars, 94-S dimes, 1913 Liberty nickels can still be collecting. You don't have to collect the series to be a collector.

Fair enough, but that was the original question posed: whether having new slabbed rarities would increase interest in the series.

Happy New Year!

• Options
    edited December 29, 2017 3:36PM

@jmlanzaf said:

Happy Holidays!

Fair enough, but that was the original question posed: whether having new slabbed rarities would increase interest in the series.

Happy New Year!

In the original question, I was thinking of collectors focusing on less than the entire series, like Box of 20 type collectors, and didn't mention collecting the entire series specifically. However, this is a good point and certainly not being able to successfully fill all the holes removes a certain, potentially very large, segment of the collecting population.

• Options
    edited December 30, 2017 9:38AM

@jmlanzaf said:
    SCDs have always been something of a hobby backwater. Creating Dansco albums or Registry sets might help - collectors are fundamentally whole fillers - but there are many kinds of exonumia that simply have limited appeal. Slabs alone aren't the problem. Many people don't collect slabs at all.

To address the rarity issue and make hole filling easier, perhaps SCDs should not necessarily be collected by all HK numbers. For example, most people don't collect "all US coins" as in every date/mm for every series.

Collectors already break SCDs into series like the following. Giving each SCD series their own Registry Set could help.

• Columbian Exposition
    • AYPE Exposition
    • Lesher Dollars
    • Bryan Dollars
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

After wasting 10 minutes of my life attempting to read this thread still no idea what a so called dollar is.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    edited December 30, 2017 9:52AM

@blitzdude said:
    After wasting 10 minutes of my life attempting to read this thread still no idea what a so called dollar is.

Sorry about that!

They are basically "medals of an exposition, commemorative, monetary and kindred nature" that are roughly dollar size, 33mm-45mm with a few notable exceptions.

Here are some websites with online catalogs:

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@blitzdude said:

Sorry about that!

They are basically "medals of an exposition, commemorative, monetary and kindred nature" that are roughly dollar size, 33mm-45mm with a few notable exceptions.

Interesting, thanks for clarifying. Never heard the term scd before, just assumed everyone called them tokens

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    edited September 13, 2018 9:46AM

PCGS seems to be getting more popular with So-Called Dollars. I didn't expect to see one in this condition slabbed, a Gold Shield and TrueView no less.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just became aware of these through the Pan-Pacific Exposition. There are a lot of fantastic designs worth of attention. Some not so special. I'll get a few that looks special to me. Going to be sending in a couple for grading and slabbing to join my Pan-Pacific collection.

• Options
    edited September 13, 2018 9:45AM

Wow. Just ran across this one which is impressive:

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

My buyers don’t want PCGS because they don’t want mixed. I have to cross over in most cases and I have several collectors who don’t want plastic and don’t care about TPG grading. SCD are one of the most interesting series in numismatics (at least to me) glad the interest isn’t there as the rarity on some of these is incredible. What hurt the market was the web and folks realized how some of them were just too common when they thought they were rare and overpaid way too much

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    Would more PCGS slabbed SCDs increase interest in SCDs?

I would think so, but not appreciably so.

FWIW, and with the caveat that I am not an expert on the series, my take on SCD's is that some are really cool and some are completely uninteresting. And I think the uninteresting stuff holds the entire series back. If I were looking to promote the SCD market, I'd consider writing a "Top 100 SCDs" book, or something along those lines. Worked for VAMs, didn't it?

+1

• Options
    edited September 13, 2018 4:26PM

Regarding a "Top 100 SCDs" book, one thing I think is an issue is that many of the most desirable and hard to find SCDs don’t have good photos available so it’s even harder to become aware of them. The nice thing about PCGS is that they do TrueViews. Perhaps if enough of the top ones have TrueViews, Ron could write a series of blog articles on them and then turn them into a book?

• Options
    edited September 13, 2018 8:55AM

@ScarsdaleCoin said:
    My buyers don’t want PCGS because they don’t want mixed. I have to cross over in most cases and I have several collectors who don’t want plastic and don’t care about TPG grading. SCD are one of the most interesting series in numismatics (at least to me) glad the interest isn’t there as the rarity on some of these is incredible. What hurt the market was the web and folks realized how some of them were just too common when they thought they were rare and overpaid way too much

A few issues that come up for me including:

• the common ones are very common
    • many common and uncommon ones have uninspiring designs
    • lack of photos means it's hard to know what the uncommon, rare ones look like and whether they're worth chasing

I like TrueViews because I think having more will help grow appreciation of SCDs, especially with items 2 and 3.

Seeing a piece like the Pilgrim above is very inspiring.

• Options

I own coins and medals graded by an assortment of grading services. I have ceased having any more coins graded because Slab containers are not standardized. PCGS and NGC should get real. As a CONSUMER, both companies storage boxes are so paroquial and other products are so scarce, I've decided to shun your services and use the old paper holders. Obviously the grading co.s need my business more than I need theirs.

• Options
    edited September 13, 2018 8:10PM

@1patwick said:
    I own coins and medals graded by an assortment of grading services. I have ceased having any more coins graded because Slab containers are not standardized. PCGS and NGC should get real. As a CONSUMER, both companies storage boxes are so paroquial and other products are so scarce, I've decided to shun your services and use the old paper holders. Obviously the grading co.s need my business more than I need theirs.

I don't mind the slabs and boxes. The PCGS slabs fit in NGC boxes so I don't mind. My PCGS boxes are for PCGS and ICG slabs. My NGC boxes for NGC, ANACS, SEGS, PCGS, etc. The ones that I have a hard time with are the old, small ANACS slabs.

I generally prefer PCGS for the TrueViews.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

Zoins,

The NEW blue PCGS boxes do not accept NGC slabs and the NEW NGC boxes do not accept PCGS coins. Further, neither companies offer boxes for thick slabs. I would not have posted this if was "fake news".

• Options

@1patwick said:
    Zoins,

The NEW blue PCGS boxes do not accept NGC slabs and the NEW NGC boxes do not accept PCGS coins. Further, neither companies offer boxes for thick slabs. I would not have posted this if was "fake news".

The new NGC boxes do take PCGS slabs but you need to tilt them so you lose a slot so you have a box of 19, but it’s not a big deal for me.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, NO.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2018 5:50PM

@1patwick said:
    Zoins,

You will survive. You can order some of those white holders which allow you to stack the certed coins. When I get home I will update with the manufacture for you.

• Options
    edited September 14, 2018 6:15PM

Interceptshield makes a double wide coin holder with rubber inserts to keep your holdered coins where you want them. You don’t want the grooved ones which lets you stack the plastic holders. I will update shortly I have a new one I can shoot a picture for you. You won’t have to worry about fat holdered coins.

• Options
    edited September 14, 2018 7:19PM

Here are the Interceptor Shield You can stack them ALL in there plenty of room to buy as many as you can!

Intercept Box SL50

• Options

Here is a empty one you can see the dividers that come with these if they even make them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file