Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Amanda's Chronicles: Summer Seminar 2014

Hello, one and all!

I just got back from week one of the ANA's Summer Seminar, and as usual tried to keep tabs on things so that I might share with everyone!

There are a ton of pics, and I even included my notes from Intermediate Coin Grading in the hopes that it may help someone else out there.

Please take a look, and let me know what you think!
Numismatist, Alhambra Coin Center

Life At The Coin Shop
Facebook

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Looks nice and cool there Amanda. 108 here in Tucson.

Must explain why Rick attends. image
  • Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 997 ✭✭✭
    OK! That's it! I'm going next time. I've put it off too long.
    Also,
    a huge THANK YOU, because I'm going to a small town close to Colorado Springs in 2 weeks and I forgot the ANA Museum was in CS! You just pissed my wife off BIGTIME though! Thank you for the great write-up
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Nice job with the notes from your class.

John and I were in the same Advanced Grading class at Summer Seminar years ago. Good guy.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This looks like it will be a ton of fun to read. I'm making it with this post so it doesn't get away from me ... because that would be bad!!

Thanks so much for your time and effort!!
    Mark

• Options

<< <i>OK! That's it! I'm going next time. I've put it off too long.
    Also,
    a huge THANK YOU, because I'm going to a small town close to Colorado Springs in 2 weeks and I forgot the ANA Museum was in CS! You just pissed my wife off BIGTIME though! Thank you for the great write-up >>

Yes!! I'll see you next year! image

That is hands down the best response I've ever had -- I love it! And if you really have decided to go, you won't regret a second of it!

...and tell the wife I'm not sorry. image

Life At The Coin Shop
    Facebook

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice reporting. Appears to be a lot of learning with the fun. After all, isn't it ?
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You just pissed my wife off BIGTIME though!
    Why is that, Bodin? image

• Options

<< <i>You just pissed my wife off BIGTIME though!
    Why is that, Bodin? image >>

Haaaahaha!

Life At The Coin Shop
    Facebook

• Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Having read many of your previous show reports, this kicked ass too image
    Knowing your friends with Charmy is xtra cool :-)
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amanda,

Thank you for the great report on your experiences with the ANA summer event. I have very fond memories of the time in my life that I lived in Colorado Springs. I think you were fortunate to miss the Rockies game in Denver and instead spend some time in Colorado Springs. I too have good times at the Phantom Canyon Brewing Co. And at the Golden Bee (Broadmoor).

Colorado welcomes you any time you might want to return.

OINK
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    A very entertaining post. Thank you for adding your special brand of pizzazz to this site.

While I do need to learn to grade and all I just can't see traveling somewhere to do it. Are there any coin grading
    videos out there anywhere?

For some reason I'm feeling a draw to Ireland for my dream "exotic" vacation. There must be a cool Coin Shop there
    with some really olde Irish Coins. A nice old Irish Coin would go well with the 13th century Venetian one I got in Venice
    when stationed in Italy with the US Army.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANA's Summer Seminar is a great event and well worth the time and expense (which really is minimal). So much to learn and not much time ... so you just need to attend again.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing, I was there last year and the year before.
    Those images sure brought back a lot of fond memories.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many YN's did you win at the auction?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report. Today is the last day of session 2. The YN auction raised $30K last night. Charmy will post a report when she recovers.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report Amanda and thanks for posting it..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always enjoy your reports. Thank you for posting them.

You sure do take a cute selfie !
  • Options
    ArizonaJack - Thanks! I always try to kick as much ass as possible. image

OldIndianNutKase - I've been to Phantom twice now (they had chicken fried bacon last year, holy crap) and really do love the place! I have yet to take advantage of the pool hall upstairs, but that's next! Did you attend the Summer Seminar while you lived in COS?

FullStrike - I know exactly where you're coming from, but the truth of the matter is there is no substitute for hands on training with an experienced professional looking over your shoulder. While one can certainly learn a lot from reading, correspondence courses and online tutorials like videos, it can never really replace an environment like the one provided in summer seminar, especially for things like grading and counterfeit detection. You look at a ton of coins and get immediate feed back on each one, and that really helps you to narrow down your focus and get things right. I know John Schuch II (one of the grading 2 instructors and a grader at NGC) teaches 1 day seminars at several major coin shows around the country. Check out the ANA's website, PCGS and NGC ... each one offers a few scattered one day grading courses that would give you some good experience, and also give you an idea on whether or not you'd enjoy (and get something out of) a week long experience. image

Astrorat - I fully intend to -- just try and stop me!

MFH - Plenty of time to plan for next year. image

MsMorrisine -- Not one, I'm afraid. image

EagleEye & Ricko - Thank you!

thebeav - And thank you as well -- on both counts!

Life At The Coin Shop
    Facebook

• Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Great report thanks for sharing. The ANA retweeted several of your posts/pics on twitter. It looks like a good time and a well run event.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report, although you forgot to mention the intimate bus ride for two to the airport on Thursday morning. image
  • Options
    I was keeping that all to myself! image

Life At The Coin Shop
    Facebook

• Options

<< <i>Great report thanks for sharing. The ANA retweeted several of your posts/pics on twitter. It looks like a good time and a well run event. >>

Thank you! At the banquet, the ANA both tweeted nearly identical pics of Steve in his dress accepting his certificate, arms raised like Rocky at nearly the exact same time. It was just a wall of Steve in the coin feeds hahaha!

Life At The Coin Shop
    Facebook

• Options
    EurekaGoldEurekaGold Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Great report! Keep the info coming, and the selfies, too : )

All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure - Mark Twain
  • Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭
    I always look forward to your reports and enjoyed this one the best. Keep up the great work. Hope to meet you at the Long Beach show in the future.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fabulous report.

I've been to one day of the summer seminar a few years ago.

Flew in to hear John Albanese speak.

It's all as you reported.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

No argument here!image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report Amanda. A really super report, always wondered what those were like.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Thank you all! image

^^ When I saw that sign, I thought it was absolute genius. Who can argue with that??

Life At The Coin Shop
    Facebook

• Options

<< <i>Fabulous report.

I've been to one day of the summer seminar a few years ago.

Flew in to hear John Albanese speak.

It's all as you reported. >>

Thank you! Yes, they always have some fantastic speakers and presentations, outside of the actual classes. There are a ton of "mini-seminars" and other educational experiences happening all around you all the time.

Life At The Coin Shop
    Facebook

• Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭
    Great grading info
  • Options

<< <i>Great grading info >>

Thanks! I really enjoyed the class, and it was my hope that my notes would be able to help someone else out there. image

Life At The Coin Shop
    Facebook

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file