Home U.S. Coin Forum

The best design for a 5 cent nickel is - - - - - - ??

I will vote for:

Yes, I am definitely biased.
Ed

Comments

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excluding Patterns?

The 1942-S War Nickel in MS67 with pastel colors and blazing luster.

peacockcoins

• Ed62Ed62 Posts: 857 ✭✭
    "The 1942-S War Nickel in MS67 with pastel colors and blazing luster"

Let's see it.
    Ed
  • michiganboymichiganboy Posts: 1,246 ✭✭
    Personally I liked the shield nickel. Otherwise Half dime designs are way more preferred but obviously not nickel.
    Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
    type2,CCHunter.
  • breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fraser 's Buffalo nickel, Type 1. Finest U.S. coin design, bar none.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• 1. Fraser Buffalo, no question--that should be excluded from the question, like the Beatles from a "favorite band" question...BUT I also love...
    2. Ocean in view. Very underrated modern design IMO.

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 2005 obverse was *way* better than the 2006 obverse we're stuck with now.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Fraser 's Buffalo nickel, Type 1. Finest U.S. coin design, bar none. >>

I 100% agree with that statement!!!!!!image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

imageimage
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the risk of being repititious

<< <i>

imageimage >>

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1 : image

#2 : image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buffalo Nickel... type two isn't so bad either. Especially the brilliant proofs!!!

http://youtu.be/Da0RYl5FaRA

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO-Buffalo without question-especially the Var 1. The reverse of the Jefferson pictured above (and, unfortunately never used) is a vast improvement over the one that was chosen, too.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Anthony de Francisci design:

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Totally agree....Cheers, RickO

<< <i>

Totally agree....Cheers, RickO >>

Okay, I agree too. It's an awesome design. Very rugged and very American. image
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shield nickel for me. Followed by the type1 Buffalo.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I LOVE the Buffalo nickel but I also feel very strongly that a cherished classic needs to be honored by being left in the past. At least to me, reviving any classic design
    somehow feels like it cheapens it. Punching them out for collecting fun doesn't really seem like an honor.

With that said, my preference would be no dead presidents, a newly designed bust of Liberty, and no writing on the edge.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    The Buffalo nickel is not only the best design for a 5 cent nickel but probably the best design of any coin.
    Derek

EAC 6024
    In addition to Buffalo nickel, I have to say they made a great decision to use the design for the gold buffalos. The proofs look amazing and let's us see the design in a way that wasn't available before.
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya i like the Type1 or the Type2 Buffalo. Looks like the Indian was out waiting in the sun for ever looking for that Buffalo to show up. I like this one not mine but love the look..

Hoard the keys.
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The hammered strike, like on that buffalo, will make any nickel stand out.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ya i like the Type1 or the Type2 Buffalo. Looks like the Indian was out waiting in the sun for ever looking for that Buffalo to show up. I like this one not mine but love the look..

image >>

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....That is one VERY beautiful Buff ya got there bud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buff

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>BUT I also love...
    2. Ocean in view. Very underrated modern design IMO. >>

Ocean in view is certainly the best design for the Jefferson series. Overall however, I agree on the vote for the Type 1 Buffalo design

JH
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can add me in the "Wartime nickels". Beauuutiful face along with the traditional Monticello dome. Plus, the enormous mint mark and let's not forget the coveted 35% silver! What a combination, they shouldn't of stopped production so quickly. I say bring it back.image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i always liked the shield nickel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file