Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the figure on the old Heath Literary Award medals?

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does anybody know who the female figure is on the old Heath Literary Award medals? I have three of them, but don't know who it is.

Thanks,

TD
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not much out there. It's designed by Rene Chambellan, Medallic Arts catalog number 1959-042.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Thanks!
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

For those who haven't seen one ...
  • Options
    Thanks for posting the image.
    TD
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's Rene Paul Chambellan's Wikipedia page. Here's the first paragraph:

<< <i>Rene Paul Chambellan (September 15, 1893 – November 29, 1955) was an American sculptor who specialized in architectural sculpture. He was also one of the foremost practitioners of what was then called the "French Modern Style" and has subsequently been labeled Zig-Zag Moderne, or Art Deco. He also frequently designed in the Greco Deco style. >>

• Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    An oversimplified guess would be the one of the Muses of Poetry. I can make out what she is holding but that would be the clue - classical attributes.

Eric

Edit to add: It seems there were three Muses of Poetry (literary award/poetry?) - so you are set with three medals. Could also be a Muse of History (coins/ANA).
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Likely just an imagined or whimsical depiction. Nice medal....Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Likely just an imagined or whimsical depiction. Nice medal....Cheers, RickO >>

I'd hate to think that.

Eric
  • Options
    I am informed by a reliable source that it was a stock Medallic Art Company design adopted for this medal. The figure is no one in particular.
    Thanks for all the input.
    TD
  • Options
    I would bet it is based on something. The Muse Urania is often depicted holding a stylus, and had a strong love for Pegasus, who was raised by all of the Muses and appears on the object she holds.

Eric
  • Options
    Anyone else into mythology - am wondering if Pegasus can have a meaning of his own in this context, separate from the figure? I read Pegasus is connected to inspiration for poetry and the Muses. I don't believe this is just a meaningless stock design with random motifs.

Eric
  • Options
    Perhaps Medallic Art Co. had the Urania design in stock, and the ANA picked that design because of the coin-like image in her hand. Would take some digging through old ANA Board meeting minutes, I suspect.

TD
  • Options

<< <i>Perhaps Medallic Art Co. had the Urania design in stock, and the ANA picked that design because of the coin-like image in her hand. Would take some digging through old ANA Board meeting minutes, I suspect.

TD >>

That's what I mean, yes. A "stock" image but with meaning. I guess your notion of the coin-like item, or the Muse as it is a literary award (poetry/history etc.). I did not get around to complimenting the design - it is a very nice Observe!
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting the image Staircoins and bringing this up TD.

I've always liked many of the ANA medals for their strong, high-relief designs.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Tom. On a side note, this statue is a Chambellan design. It was financed by the Father Coughlin Radio ministry.

You probably passed it a few times at Twelve Mile and Woodward while cruising on a Friday night. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file