Home U.S. Coin Forum

The word I dislike the most in our Hobby has changed over the years.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
I guess it's really the word that is used at this site that I'm referring to, the one that has changed. Over the years it has been widget, dreck, overpriced, underpriced, bifurcate(and its many derivatives), specie, milkspot, OT, some(and its derivatives) and several others which escape me now. You probably know what I'm talking about, a word or phrase containing that word will seem to be in vogue for periods.

Currently that word is original. Sadly, I now expect to see the next three pages of replies each contain that word, maybe in combination with one of the others. Knowing I won't be let down is the reason I think I stay here.image

Al H.

Comments

• jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Wannabe ?
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, one that has escaped me.
  • JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very "Original" topic.image

Although I can see where some of the other words mentioned have been overused to the point of non-sense, I do not see that to be case for your current disliked word.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The word I dislike most in our hobby is 'fresh.' It's nothing more than marketing garbage.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One word that remains the same is "geek". To be it is chic. Others may call me whatever their heart desires… even collect (doesn't mean I'll accept the charges). I like being a geek.
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    "Original" Bank Wrapped ? ! ? !

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
    Although I can see where some of the other words mentioned have been overused to the point of non-sense, I do not see that to be case for your current disliked word.

to understand my perspective we need only look at the reply directly after yours and rephrase with my topic "word" as follows --- The word I dislike most in our hobby is 'original.' It's nothing more than marketing garbage. maybe it fits, maybe not, but I digress(which is another fun word, but I like it).image

BTW, fresh is a good one. we did, however, get some "fresh" stuff in the shop this week. included in a deal were 11 Red/BU 1901 IHC's and a nicely toned AU/MS 1892 Barber Quarter that have been hiding in an attic for quite some time.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Chat room weenie
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not one but if I was, I would NOT like being called a "flipper".

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Sell me all your..." in response to posts that are critical of some collecting specialty.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Sell me all your..." in response to posts that are critical of some collecting specialty.
    >>

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about Almost Unc instead of About Unc?

The EF versus XF acronym?

How about acronyms in general?

Try to describe the piece of paper in the TPG slab? Tag, Label, etc etc
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    "PQ"

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Much like women's fashions, descriptive words on the coin forum move in and out of vogue. The same applies to popular language fads..... it has even moved into technology - i.e. 'hashtag', 'selfie' etc........ Modern humans (and even not so modern) have difficulty with originality (in most things) and masterful use of the English language is fast fading. It is difficult to find a well written novel now. I pine for the days of Hemingway and Buckley. It was such a pleasure to read their works. Verbal discourse today has degenerated almost to grunts and snarls, very sad. Cheers, RickO
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    'Much like women's fashions, descriptive words on the coin forum move in and out of vogue.'

So dealers (who make up uses for words like 'fresh') are girlie men?image
    Hey, at least my post wasn't a grunt or snarl.image
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The word that's most changed people's perception in the hobby and some of us just cannot wrap our heads around it is "dipping". Some are adamantly opposed. Some are adamantly for the preservation of our national treasures. Some think it's all "JUNK", Some don't think at all, except not dealing with the junk. (that's what I dislike the most in our hobby ) Junk…
    And few care to really look at the differences with an objective, progressive view of the changes taking place. One man's fugly is another man's yearly wage.
  • bosco5041bosco5041 Posts: 1,303
    This is an old one but I always disliked the word "slider".
  • georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    Combining two:

Monster original!
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    "Still Sealed"

"Never Searched"
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harvey Stack and Q David Bowers have been promoting the concept of originality in building a coin coin collection throughout their careers.

I think they know what they are talking about.

So it's hardy a concept 'in vogue'.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guy's are eluding the word "rare"? This word is misused so, so much in this hobby of ours. Esp. on this forum. I too am guilty of misusing the word from time to time. We don't really think when adding to describe in our posts of a coin. We must do our homework in using these words, including the ones the OP mentioned. Rare, is the 1913 "V nickel". Rare, is when only 25 are known of in the world. Rare, is when we should see this word in our forum.image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    This is a Fresh OT thread that is very RARE @LOOK@.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭

It's all cyclical.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think most/all of the words mentioned in this thread have reasonably well-defined meanings and are
    useful and descriptive when employed accurately. The reason many have come to be despised is that
    they have been overused or used incorrectly more often than not. So I say don't hate the word itself.
    Just because I wince every time someone calls this place a "chatroom" doesn't mean there's anything
    wrong with the term itself (when used appropriately).
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talking about words changing over time, try this:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/literally

This literally cracked me up, and by literally, I don't mean virtually!
    So it's hardy a concept 'in vogue'.

---please re-read the first sentence of the OP.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most moderns are unarguably original image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file