Home Precious Metals

coin show prices today

90% Dimes & Quarters: $16x
90% Halves: $16.60 to $18.00x
Circulated and/or colorized ASE's: $23
Gem BU ASE rolls: $510, could've maybe gotten it for $500 but did'nt because I can live without them.
VG-VF Peace Dollars: $24
XF/AU Peace Dollars: $27
1921 AU Morgans: $28
pre-1921 XF Morgans: $28
nice solid date roll of BU 1885 O Morgans: $950
1 oz generic type bars/rounds: $23.50...yeah he was actually wanting the .50.
1 oz well traveled Engelhards: $27
10 oz JM bar: $235
10 oz Apmex bar: $230

I couldn't pull the trigger on anything. Walked out with the exact amount of cash I walked into the show with. First time I've done that in a long time.
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prices look a bit high and more so with silver's 10% run up this month. Curious - do you really mean circulated ASEs or just beat up?

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    reinforces the Ted Butler thread image
  • TJM965TJM965 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the info. Actual prices helps educate forum members.image
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>reinforces the Ted Butler thread image >>

How so?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Show prices are high....consistently according to various reports. Cheers, RickO
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Show prices are high....consistently according to various reports. Cheers, RickO

Not trying to put words in your mouth, but premiums are high relative to melt values is maybe a better way to say it. I suppose it's all semantics image
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>reinforces the Ted Butler thread image >>

How so? >>

Butler got at the real prices vs. fictional prices the COMEX insiders were fixing
  • rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Show prices are high....consistently according to various reports. Cheers, RickO >>

What shows? Lil dinkers???, huge Baltimore show silver was cheap, very cheap, and very abundant amounts...
    keceph `anah
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Show prices are high....consistently according to various reports. Cheers, RickO >>

What shows? Lil dinkers???, huge Baltimore show silver was cheap, very cheap, and very abundant amounts... >>

What were ASE rolls going for?
  • sumrtymsumrtym Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    I can't wrap my mind around $16.60 to $18 on halves. That CAN'T be for generally circulated common dates, or else that's the most overpriced coin show I've ever heard of.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't wrap my mind around $16.60 to $18 on halves. That CAN'T be for generally circulated common dates, or else that's the most overpriced coin show I've ever heard of. >>

Provident is listing halfs at 18x face , APMEX is probably more . I can buy them locally at 16x but even that is over melt.

<< <i>I can't wrap my mind around $16.60 to $18 on halves. That CAN'T be for generally circulated common dates, or else that's the most overpriced coin show I've ever heard of. >>

They're not $16.60 to $18.00 halves. They're $8.30 to $9.00 halves.

The numbers are X Face Value of $0.50.
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    That's correct VH, sumrtym forgot to include the "x" that I did after the amount.
  • sumrtymsumrtym Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That's correct VH, sumrtym forgot to include the "x" that I did after the amount. >>

Got it, thanks! Should have figured that out myself. image
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Some of the prices aren't that bad and are inline with current market.

It amazes me that some collectors poo-poo a premium of 1.99 over on 10oz bars as "way out of line", however, when dealers want to buy from these very same collectors at .60-1.00 over - these guys go bananas that somehow they are being ripped off.

For those of you who are not aware - the dealer runs a business. He doesn't work for nothing. You don't work for nothing, why should he?

Fair spreads are acceptable.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some of the prices aren't that bad and are inline with current market.

It amazes me that some collectors poo-poo a premium of 1.99 over on 10oz bars as "way out of line", however, when dealers want to buy from these very same collectors at .60-1.00 over - these guys go bananas that somehow they are being ripped off.

For those of you who are not aware - the dealer runs a business. He doesn't work for nothing. You don't work for nothing, why should he?

Fair spreads are acceptable. >>

True and of course it costs more to sell at a show with the extra expenses. My POV is why should I buy from him when I can buy from the same place he does. Right now I see ASE rolls on eBay at $524 with time left. Why would you buy like that when you can buy a virgin roll of the same thing from JMBullion @ $483 delivered?

<< <i>Some of the prices aren't that bad and are inline with current market.

Fair spreads are acceptable. >>

My experience has been dealers offering .60-1.00 UNDER on generic 10ozers. That can get people torqued. $1.99 over retail for new 10ozers isn't bad at all.
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    I can see spot to slightly over
    If oh think about it at that level if a customer buys one bar it amounts to a dealer profit of approx 20
    Bucks!!! Not much at all
    As for the purchases from large online sellers, for big quantities where it mAkes sense
    Fine. Otherwise, I'd rather give the smaller dealer the sale
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My experience has been dealers offering .60-1.00 UNDER on generic 10ozers. That can get people torqued. $1.99 over retail for new 10ozers isn't bad at all. >>

Not arguing, just using your quote to point out something.

All dealers buy and price their stock differently. Some buy at spot and sell a spot+X, some buy at below spot and sell at spot or over, some buy over spot and sell at buy price+markup/increment of spot.

Say spot is $20 and you (reluctantly) sell a 10oz bar to a dealer at spot. He pays you $200 cash in out of pocket. Done. He marks it up to spot+$2.00 (which is apparently exhorbant to some folks). He waits for someone to come around with $220 to buy it. He may hold it an hour, a week, a month...........for a $20 profit. 10% gross profit. Not many businesses can keep the doors open on a 10% profit margin. And yes, I understand they sell other stuff for more profit, hopefully.

That said, is buying it at shows the most economical way to accumulate silver? Probably not, especially when you can buy it from the faceless add-to-cart buttons online for $1 less.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    thats 10% gross...
    keceph `anah

<< <i>Not arguing, just using your quote to point out something.

All dealers buy and price their stock differently. Some buy at spot and sell a spot+X, some buy at below spot and sell at spot or over, some buy over spot and sell at buy price+markup/increment of spot.

Say spot is $20 and you (reluctantly) sell a 10oz bar to a dealer at spot. He pays you $200 cash in out of pocket. Done. He marks it up to spot+$2.00 (which is apparently exhorbant to some folks). He waits for someone to come around with $220 to buy it. He may hold it an hour, a week, a month...........for a $20 profit. 10% gross profit. Not many businesses can keep the doors open on a 10% profit margin. And yes, I understand they sell other stuff for more profit, hopefully.

That said, is buying it at shows the most economical way to accumulate silver? Probably not, especially when you can buy it from the faceless add-to-cart buttons online for $1 less. >>

Understood. Margins on bullion are tight for sure. When the markets are flat or range-bound it is tough for any small dealer to make much money. There are 3 local B&M dealers in my area and they offer 5% under and TRY to sell for 10% over on generic stuff. It pays for me to buy & sell online instead. They stay open and make some money on those that don't follow the PM markets.