Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Standing Liberty Quarters going strong?

veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
A casual observation on my part:
Seems like SLQs in the XF - AU grade range are bringing strong prices. Even common dates often sell for more than retail prices, regardless of head detail. In addition, the 23-s in any circulated graded, with all 4 date digits fully or partially visible still does very well. I'm hunting for bargains and it's not working out for me.
Is this series quietly and steadily rising in popularity or is it my imagination?

Comments

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought the prices for unc coins have been soft myself. I just bought a 17 PCGS MS64FH for $380 and thought it was a steal.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    I paid $1100 for a VF 35 NGC graded 23S with CAC and a weak 23 in the date. I saw an EF 45 in PCGS CAC strong strike strong date 23S. Immediately bought it for $1500. Sold the VF and that's my story. I own 4 1920Ds in EF 45 to AU 55 all PC or NGC nice coins. I think you can find more 16s at a show than you can find 20D. I am trying to put my set back togther one I sold 7 years ago. Man, I swore I wouldn't, but I did and I wish I didn't. If wishes were horses beggars woud ride.

Common dates are still reasonalbe. The rest are tough to find nice and increasingly tough to find original. I got a few screws here and there more here than there. Best of luck to you in your quest to find the coins.
  • Options

<< <i>I thought the prices for unc coins have been soft myself. I just bought a 17 PCGS MS64FH for $380 and thought it was a steal. >>

Moldnut, I'm not sure about uncs, but grades like AU55 or 58 for common dates like 1919, 1927 etc. don't seem to be steals.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In AU SLQ's have become very much like Barbers as PCGS values means nothing since some keys and semi keys have have jumped 3-4 times in retail just within the last few years.

I keep an eye on what Jay Cline asks and at times my jaw drops but even with extremely strong pricing they vanish out of his inventory quite rapidly and never collect dust.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

<< <i>I paid $1100 for a VF 35 NGC graded 23S with CAC and a weak 23 in the date. I saw an EF 45 in PCGS CAC strong strike strong date 23S. Immediately bought it for $1500. Sold the VF and that's my story. I own 4 1920Ds in EF 45 to AU 55 all PC or NGC nice coins. I think you can find more 16s at a show than you can find 20D. I am trying to put my set back togther one I sold 7 years ago. Man, I swore I wouldn't, but I did and I wish I didn't. If wishes were horses beggars woud ride.

Common dates are still reasonalbe. The rest are tough to find nice and increasingly tough to find original. I got a few screws here and there more here than there. Best of luck to you in your quest to find the coins. >>

Thanks 410.
    I used to have a nice circulated set many years ago and miss it very much. I do have some attractive keys, but delving into set completion is a long way off.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If wishes were horses beggars woud ride.

>>

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If wishes were horses beggars woud ride.

>>

image >>

That expression has been around since Moby Dick was a minnow!
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219
    I recently sold my set - XF-BU. The key dates brought good money, more than triple what I paid for them but the rest were just okay. I had a dealer sell them and I think most went to other dealers so my prices might not be what the end collector paid. I just know that they sold for an average of 150% more than I paid for them. If I had known they were "hot" I would have waited. As for Mr Kline I bought an AU50 ANACS from him and when it slabbed at PCGS it was a 40. His offer was less than what he was selling a VF30 for by a grand (fyi - 1916) - I'm amazed that his inventory moves so quickly given his mark-ups.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    Well, in the Spirit of XF-AU SLQ discussions, I feel compelled to post my set!! :-)
    Glad to know they are doing so well. My personal observation is that the 19-d and 19-s
    are some of the toughest coins in this range, and should be considered major keys. I think prices are starting to reflect that too(they
    are much tougher than the 21, and I think even the 23-s).

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    All coins kept in safety deposit box.
  • Options
    Johnny,
    Fantastic set, and I agree with your comments regarding the 1919 issues. However, the 1921 is a special date. It does not share its date with other D or S mints, simular to the 1916. The 21 may be easier to find than the 19D or S, but it still remains a more popular date.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful set and nicely displayed, johnny!

I've heard from several different sources the 19D and S coins are the sleepers in the series. The 21P seems to turn up with some regularity, and is likely over rated, but remains popular. The 23S not only is a low mintage coin, but also seems to suffer from having a weak date (as do some 21P's of course). The 23S with a strong date seems to be pretty darn scarce. As a casual collector, my comments are strictly form bourse floor observations - you guys that follow eBay and Heritage probably know more.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Thanks for the compliments! You are right about the weak date strike on the 23-s. One thing that kind of bothers me is all the 1923-s slqs floating around in VF20 to VF25 slabs with nothing more than a partial "3" visible. I mean, I expect that in the G-VG range, maybe the fine range, but a VF should at least have all 4 digits partially visible, even on a slq with a weakly struck date like the 23-s. This is especially prevalent in NGC slabs, and on ebay, I actually see more vf 23-s's with one digit visible than ones with 4 digits visible....but it could just be because some people like to bring their dreck to ebay.image
    All coins kept in safety deposit box.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    This is a PCGS VF30 that was sent in an ANACS VF20 holder for a cross. Thanks PCGSimage

The date does show better if you bounce the light off it just right.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know of one long time major player who has entered the SLQ market and has been buying up the really choice au's.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a nice set of quarters!!
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful set Johnny!

Along with WLHs----SLQs & SLHs are my favorite designs.

In my observations----common dates are holding steady and have not increased much BUT

Keys such as the 23-S, 27-S, 19, 19-D & 19-S have really taken off IMHO and have good investment potential.

Even some semi-keys have risen and are becoming stronger.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wonderful set

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    mightyhuntermightyhunter Posts: 476 ✭✭✭
    I have been looking for a few dates to upgrade my Registry Sets of Standing Liberty Quarters. I have noticed that there are fewer attractive AU 55 and 58 common dates available. If you seek an original undipped AU SLQ with some decent head and shield detail, they are scarce. One thing I have noticed is the change in grading that has taken place with some of the semi-key dates. I don't understand how a partial date 1921 or 1923-s can be graded higher than G-VG without a full date. I also have numerous VF-XF semi-key quarters that are in OGH PCGS that would grade at least 10-15 points higher if resubmitted. However, the OGH quarters I have that are graded AU 58 are accurately graded as such. If you want a 1919-d or s in a nice VF or XF, Brian Greer has at least 3 of each date and mintmark. For many years, I have been looking for an original 1926-D in AU with some better head or shield detail. Right now I have an original album toned 1926-D in XF in my sets and will keep it until something better comes along.

There are some dates that there seems to be no supply issue with. This would include the 1917P and D Type 1 in XF and AU, the 1918-D in XF and AU, the 1921 in XF and AU, the 1924-D in AU, the 1928 in AU. I have noticed numerous 1926-S quarters on the market in AU that have been grossly overpriced by their owners. They are essentially seeking MS 63 money for them. You see essentially the same thing with the 1927-D.

Just my two cents on the issue.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently bought a collection with 2 full books (sans the 16's) and I am pleasantly surprised by the demand for them as I release them to market.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I don't understand how a partial date 1921 or 1923-s can be graded higher than G-VG without a full date."

I certainly agree with you on this. I think Photograde has it right.
  • Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a set I've always thought of tackling but get turned off at the idea of mid to high circulated grades with partial dates. Perhaps at some point in this lifetime I'll have the resources and time to put together a set that overcomes that hurdle.

Hats off to poster that assembled the set in the Dansco. Very nice look and I bet it took some stones to make some of those 'album coins'.
  • Options

<< <i>This is a set I've always thought of tackling but get turned off at the idea of mid to high circulated grades with partial dates. Perhaps at some point in this lifetime I'll have the resources and time to put together a set that overcomes that hurdle. >>

Incomplete dates have always plagued this series. This is part of the reason that many of the XF and AU graded coins are so desirable. Still, with patience, you can find every date/mint mark combo in VF with all 4 digits visible. They might be a little mushy, with some flatness and parts blending together, but it can be done. The 23-s would be your biggest challenge as far as full dates are concerned.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file